Neighbors aggressive dog

banagan

Just moved into a house in a small neighborhood of detached houses. Few dogs roaming around, not Soi dogs, they have collars. They're ok except one, which is pretty aggressive when you drive by his house... he's a lot more amped up at night, had to gun it earlier to loose him, was on my scooter.

What's the best way to deal with this, I don't want a pissed off dog chasing after me every time I leave the house. 

Thinking maybe I should head over to the neighbors and pet the dog, let him know I'm a friendly... or, will he just get used to used to me? 

8 hours ago, Fish Head Soup said:

Ride slower, if the dog takes after you just come to a stop, and switch the engine off. Beckon the dog over to you, give it a few snacks, it will soon be you're friend. Main thing is that it gets used to your bike, it will soon leave you alone but the worst thing to do is accelerate away if it goes to chase you. You will find the dog is all bark and no bite if you stop.

We live in a small single-track, dead end soi in town. It's quiet and used only by the ten or so families who live in the soi or their visitors. People, young and old, walk up and down, kids play in the road, dogs wander about.

The vast majority of traffic travels very slowly and our 4 dogs very rarely react from behind the gate. However, there's one frequent visitor who insists on gunning his bike up the soi at high speed and the dogs have learnt to recognise the sound of his bike. Whenever they hear it, they go nuts. The bloke has been asked to drive more slowly because of the playing kids but the requests have been ignored. 

Three of our dogs are very placid, one can be a bit unpredictable but they all seem to dislike this bloke on his bike above all others. Maybe he scared them sometime in the past when they were outside and that stays in their minds, who knows.

I'm sure they'd make friends with the person , given the chance, but still hate the sound of the bike and react to it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Yea had a dog here too that loved to go after me many years ago (died in the meanwhile of old age). I just stood my ground and took some snacks normally reserved for my dog. Did not take long or the dog was won over. 

Its either that or violence, kinda depends what kind of person you are. I always choose violence as a last resort that i rather not choose with anything. 

Would much rather be friends of course and will try my best. If the dog is just an aggressive <deleted> I can try asking the owner to keep him in at night. 

• Like 1

Always makes me laugh when the advice is " buy it snacks/food , make friends with the dog " . Pathetic . Hey go but it filet mignon..5555. This miserable mongrel is aggressively chasing you more than likely  will bite if given the chance and YOU are told to play nice and placate!?. The ones that give that advice are the same ones who gave the school bully their lunch money everyday . Don't talk to the owner . Useless. Avoid that  road route altogether. If that's not possible then go the bleach route.

Edited by Max66
Ck
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, banagan said:

Thinking maybe I should head over to the neighbors and pet the dog, let him know I'm a friendly...

OP, I think that would likely be a painful mistake. Sounds like the dog is territorial already. The closer you come to it's home, the more apt it will be to bite any hand that is offered to it as it could deem this as a threat.

Certainly don't try to put your hands through a gate or fence towards the animal, even (or especially) if the owner is there.

40 minutes ago, Max66 said:

Always makes me laugh when the advice is " buy it snacks/food , make friends with the dog " . Pathetic . Hey go but it filet mignon..5555. This miserable mongrel is aggressively chasing you more than likely  will bite if given the chance and YOU are told to play nice and placate!?. The ones that give that advice are the same ones who gave the school bully their lunch money everyday . Don't talk to the owner . Useless. Avoid that  road route altogether. If that's not possible then go the bleach route.

Pathetic response.

All the OP has to do is stop, and show the dog who is boss. Treats are not necessary, but neither  is bleach or something similar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Fish Head Soup said:

I had the same problem as you a few years ago when we moved in to a new house, it certainly works. You will get a load of trolls replying soon suggesting everything from shooting it to spraying it with bleach. It's up to you which route you go, but having dogs in the street who are noisy and alert to strangers is actually a good thing in my book.

I think it is a pain.....I would hate to live in such a street. A neighbour who was a policeman shot a dog dead that kept chasing him on his bike.... good for him.

• Like 1