Raging wife probably cancelled visa ....

Long story short, After a blazing argument  last week we parted ways

Only problem is my visa is as a spouse/dependant organised by her job 

And she could likely cancel it with just an email to the HR dept who organised it? 

I don't know if it's possible to check if she did it or not yet without leaving and then coming back in to see that immigration give me on arrival... 

It has 9 months validity but if cancelled then I have 7 days TO exit  or I'll be on overstay? 

Anyone have any ideas? 

8 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

You don't have seven days automatically. You've got to apply for a 7 day extension of stay, should the visa be canceled. 

Are you on a Non-O, or Non-B? 

Non O dependant  granted by her employer 

I assumed I had 7 days to pack my shit if any visa is cancelled unexpectedly 

4 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Non O dependant  granted by her employer 

I assumed I had 7 days to pack my shit if any visa is cancelled unexpectedly 

No, you don't have 7 days, but you can apply for a seven-day extension at the immigration, should it turn out bad for you. Couldn't you just ask her in peace? 

Edited by jenny2017

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think your extension of stay (it is not a visa) has been canceled. Immigration would have to see a divorce certificate for them to cancel it. Her anger at you would not be be enough.

There is no divorce certificate and I presume there won't be one for some time yet if it needs both parties to come and sign it

In that case, I guess she could only  change jobs, quit the job or something like that to invalidate mine as well as her own but that would be more hassle for herself than me to have to leave Thai immediately 

If think there is some confusion here. [mention=239457]ks45672[/mention]

1) are you married to a Thai national?

2) can you post a legible scan/photo of the visa that you used to enter thailand as well as the entry stamp? If there is an extension of stay, can you post that as well?

Block/blur any personally identfying info e.g. Name, pp #

Edit: i have a feeling he is not married to Thai national.... But instead married to a foreign national who is working in Thailand;

he extended as a dependent on the worker's visa. Am i correct?

Sent from my LDN-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

There is no divorce certificate and I presume there won't be one for some time yet if it needs both parties to come and sign it

In that case, I guess she could only  change jobs, quit the job or something like that to invalidate mine as well as her own but that would be more hassle for herself than me to have to leave Thai immediately 

I assume your wife is not Thai and has an extension of stay based on her job, and that you have an extension of stay as her husband.

If so your extension was issued based on being a spouse and, in theory, it won’t be cancelled unless you divorce.

However, if she cancels her extension, yours becomes void at the same time.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

You don't have seven days automatically. You've got to apply for a 7 day extension of stay, should the visa be canceled. 

Are you on a Non-O, or Non-B? 

there is no 7 day extension to apply for, it is 7 days to leave the country when you are refused another extension.

read the op and you would know what kind of extension he is on!

Just now, pearciderman said:

there is no 7 day extension to apply for, it is 7 days to leave the country when you are refused another extension.

My apologies, 7 days to leave the country extension. 

• Like 1

Go to immigration and ask them. Your situation isn't common so advice here likely won't be specific to your situation.

If you're sure the situation is permanent, ask them how to cancel your visa and then figure out how you can stay longer (if you want to).

Actually, the 7 days is not an automatic entitlement, it must be applied for. In practice, if OP leaves within 7 days, it wouldnt make much difference as the extension likely wouldnt actually be canceled until several days later anyway, assuming the employer or whomever cancells it.

OP was NOT clear what his situation was... Which is why we are asking for additional details now. So he can help us TO HELP HIM

Once again the old visa/extension confusion because 99% of people are unaware of the difference between the two and call everything stamped in their passport a visa.

Just as an aside does any other country issue an extension of stay or do they all just issue a new visa when required or extend the original visa by changing the validity dates?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

If think there is some confusion here. [mention=239457]ks45672[/mention]

1) are you married to a Thai national?

2) can you post a legible scan/photo of the visa that you used to enter thailand as well as the entry stamp? If there is an extension of stay, can you post that as well?

Block/blur any personally identfying info e.g. Name, pp #

Edit: i have a feeling he is not married to Thai national.... But instead married to a foreign national who is working in Thailand;

he extended as a dependent on the worker's visa. Am i correct?

Yes, 100% correct

We are both non thais

So she has no permission to stay in Thai either without the job etc

I guess if she wants to cancel mine she will not be able to just by sending an email

even though she used to threaten to do that lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Once again the old visa/extension confusion because 99% of people are unaware of the difference between the two and call everything stamped in their passport a visa.

Just as an aside does any other country issue an extension of stay or do they all just issue a new visa when required or extend the original visa by changing the validity dates?

There is little wrong with calling anything stamped in your passport giving permission to enter and/or stay in a country as a visa, because that’s what it is.

‘Visa’ is the generic term recognised and used the world over to describe anything giving a foreigner permission to enter/stay in a foreign country.

My wife applied for a visa to stay in the UK by competing forms etc. all referring to a ‘visa’. She has never received anything in her passport called a ‘visa’, and yet she entered the country and has permission to stay for 2.5 years.

Who is wrong, the 99% or the 1% and the TVF pedants. 

When advising on Thai visa/permit issues we just need to ascertain whether the question is about entry visas or permits to stay.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, elviajero said:

There is little wrong with calling anything stamped in your passport giving permission to enter and/or stay in a country as a visa, because that’s what it is.

‘Visa’ is the generic term recognised and used the world over to describe anything giving a foreigner permission to enter/stay in a foreign country.

My wife applied for a visa to stay in the UK by competing forms etc. all referring to a ‘visa’. She has never received anything in her passport called a ‘visa’, and yet she entered the country and has permission to stay for 2.5 years.

When advising on Thai visa/permit issues we just need to ascertain whether the question is about entry visas or permits to stay.

You do actually mean a visa and an extension/ permission to stay no matter how you say it.

A visa in general terms means a stamp/sticker in your passport issued by an embassy that can be used for entry to the country of that embassy.

An extension of stay is a stamp put in your passport by the Imm' service in for example Thailand.

Each has a different set of rules to follow, eg 90 day reports ( extension ) or having to leave and re-enter to get another 90 days in Thailand ( multi entry visa )

The conditions for cancellation of each one differ as you know.

You cannot make an extension of stay last 17 months but you can do so with a multi O visa.

Ks45672, the important question in your situation is whether you and your wife continue to live under the same roof, in the same household or, as the English translation of the relevant Police Order calls it, "being a family member" of your spouse, because this was the reason for which your extension of stay was granted.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Ks45672, the important question in your situation is whether you and your wife continue to live under the same roof, in the same household or, as the English translation of the relevant Police Order calls it, "being a family member" of your spouse, because this was the reason for which your extension of stay was granted.

Reading that as being if she threw him out of the house then Imm' would say it's not a defacto marriage?

Just asking.

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Reading that as being if she threw him out of the house then Imm' would say it's not a defacto marriage?

Just asking.

Yes, that is what Maestro is getting at. However, I can't see immigration revoking a permit to stay unless the marriage was formally ended. But it is a possibility based on the terms of the extension.

Edited by elviajero

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

A visa in general terms means a stamp/sticker in your passport issued by an embassy that can be used for entry to the country of that embassy.

In Thailand yes. But other countries issue visas used for entry that also specify the length of stay.

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

An extension of stay is a stamp put in your passport by the Imm' service in for example Thailand.

The stamp is a 'Permit', which is a form of 'visa'. The permit indicates how long you can stay in the country.

VISA; an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country.

PERMIT; an official document giving someone authorization to do something.

synonyms: authorisation, licence, pass, voucher, ticket, warrant, document, certification; passport, visa; 

If someone with a 'permit to stay' issued by immigration calls it a visa they are not wrong, although it's not helpful to those giving advice. Expecting people asking for advice to know the specific terminology is pointless, because most travellers will, rightly, consider anything in their passport as a visa giving them permission to enter/stay in a country for a "specified period of time".

To the OP ...

If the passport is currently in your possession, your extension of stay has not been canceled. Unless your wife has grounds to have you arrested, there is no prospect short term of the extension being canceled without your participation.

"Just as an aside does any other country issue an extension of stay or do they all just issue a new visa when required or extend the original visa by changing the validity dates?"

Thailand is not essentially different from most other countries. A visa allows you to approach a border and request entry. If admitted, you are given permission to stay for a specified period. If conditions are met, that stay can be extended. The expiration date of the visa itself is not amended. 

10 hours ago, elviajero said:

we just need to ascertain whether the question is about entry visas or permits to stay.

Surely you mean "visa to stay" :)

Sounds like the OP is better off leaving for a holiday somewhere, gives you a break from the situation to cool down and also you will know when you come back in.

Make sure you have a re-entry permit if that is required in your circumstances..

17 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Surely you mean "visa to stay" :)

OMG what is this now?? Another 30 posts about this strange "VISA to stay"!! Where do you guys gets all your stuff from really, is it Pattaya again?????

glegolo

13 hours ago, elviajero said:

I have seen may time a retirement visa is not a retirement visa, but something else, permission to stay for example. But in my passport it is stamped "retirement"! 

Edited by chrissables