Road carnage: You're all breaking the law, campaigner tells Thais.

webfact

12 hours ago, nong38 said:

Spot on but Thais seem to think the law is for others not them personally.

I would close all those dangerous u-turns on main roads only u-turns by over bridge variety allowed.

In some areas there are many dangerous U-turns in a short stretch. Through Nakorn Pathom is one such area. I ass through there and often have to stop from high speed as someone has decided to edge out into oncoming traffic to do a u-turn. It would be better to block most -turns and set up lights at one u-turn that is kept open. 

Enforcement does not have to be so tight or for so long, I’ve done this job.

There used to be many more officers on patrol in the U.K. than there are today. But a programme of education and publicity and fairly strict enforcement, with penalties like disqualification and heavy fines or imprisonment has led to people in the UK fearing the enforcement and its consequences much more than the reality.

The chances of being caught are far outweighed by the fear. People even slow down and behave better when they see a Highways Agency patrol with few enforcement powers, who have largely replaced police patrols on motorways.

if the Thai police could be persuaded to start enforcement with real penalties not just tea money,  and the government encouraged road safety education in schools and in driver training, driving standards would be transformed within a generation and deaths would plummet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thian said:

Just film ALL victims of accidents while they're bleeding and put it on tv before that national soapseries start...maybe that will wake them up!

Also closing ALL roadstalls without parkinglot will help a lot.

I'm glad this campaigner had the guts to tell them, it confirms that at least there's 1 decent Thai person in the country....

Also i don't understand how we can let Thai (with Thai driverslicense) drive in Europe/Japan...they absolutely have no clue at all about trafficlaws and safety.

I have always thought the same thing, i would go further and write it into the storyline, they will notice then, same as the traditional dress fiasco they see a couple of there idols in traditional clothes, now you see a few out on the street, of course it won't last but it might save a few lives! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

Okay, I will bite. So are you saying that if Thai roads were designed in the same way as UK roads, signposted in the same way, etc., we would see a massive reduction in road fatalities here? I am afraid I just can't see it in Thailand. Surely, drivers and motorcyclists at least need to have an understanding of what is right and what is wrong, and law breakers brought to task. I don't care how roads are built, it will not stop motorcyclists or cars shooting out of junctions without checking traffic to their right. Many motorcyclists are taken out by this (they have no one to blame but themselves). How is your science going to stop people from doing this? Give way signs are ignored, common sense is ignored and beautiful "safe" roads made to the highest levels of  "traffic science" are not going to prevent people from being idiots. 

Having said that, for sure there are some things that would have a good positive impact.  One that immediately springs to mind is that U turns on major highways should be made as U turn bridges or underpasses and connect the outside lanes (slow lane to slow lane). 

To conclude my rambling, I don't dispute that improved road design could greatly help improve the situation (but it is certainly not the magic bullet). However, I believe you are wrongly disregarding the behaviour of the average driver/rider here in Thailand. I think both need addressing,  but as long as the roads are not being improved, we need to address the people behind the steering wheels and handle bars. 

Then you'd be wrong.

6 hours ago, cookieqw said:

EXACTLY

Every time someone comes upto wwith a"brilliant" idea...usually the same one idea for a problem that is seriously more complex than they have imagine.

So please explain clearly in practical terms how you will achieve this enforcement

Road blocks should be set up on these to stop speeding motorists 

RIGHT!! How can a roadblock detect a speeder. That statement is EVERYTHING that is wrong with Thai policing. 

The problem is that the police don't patrol and catch the lawbreakers. I've lived here almost 15 years and I have NEVER seen a cop pull up behind someone and pull them over for breaking the law. The only thing they do is checkpoints which can only catch people for the low-hanging fruit like no seatbelt and out of date registration. 

LAME!

16 hours ago, webfact said:

the problem was not with the roads themselves, the signage, the warnings, the lights - these were of international standards.

Not exactly.

Road layout is often sub-standard, as in all over the place. Signage is often poorly situated. The lights? They're controlled by the inept RTP,  rather than by up-to-date computers - granted, drivers would no doubt still run them. 

If the body responsible for licensing drivers in Thailand doesn't place any emphasis on teaching people to drive in a safe, courteous and responsible manner, then it follows, quite logically that they wont do so.

Until they raise the standard of driver training, begin a program of rolling enforcement for traffic infringements, and a points system which discourages dangerous driving, the status quo will unfortunately continue.

I wish it would change as I drive a lot, country wide for work and driver behavior seems to be getting worse, not better. Speeding and undertaking due to limited understanding of lane discipline accounting for most of the bad driving I see. If they embarked on a public information campaign to explain how and why lane discipline is necessary, it would probably be the quickest and most effective way of improving driver mindset in Thailand, but I'm not confident of any short term improvement.

Cheers Genset.

I even had to point out to 2 police on a motorcycle yesterday that his brake light not working this was after I nearly run up his arze , I know my fault riding to close. When I worked in OZ we had to do a walk around of vehicle before driving off to ensure everything in working order, if the RTP can't do that how can you expect Joe citizen to do it

23 hours ago, Thian said:

Then they will all drive against traffic.

They already do that and I think that motor bike riders believe this is legal for them , happens everywhere including the police doing it and overtaking bikers without helmets . Going to take a renaissance to change the Thai road users . As we all know the powers that be do little or nothing , only talk and the carnage continues . 

I agree about the dangerous  "u" turns , at the very least the " u" turn should be for  one direction only as your vision is blocked when vehicles from both directions are turning at the same time and vehicles using the fast outside lane cannot see an emerging vehicle from a " u " turn .

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Well that was wonderfully explained. 

I have already explained as best I can before; if you choose to ignore it their is nothing I can do....or even want to for that matter.

The views of the Thai authorities and many on this thread are so wide of the mark it is almost impossible to know where to start.... and when one puts forward a point it is met with total incomprehension and disbelief.

It seems that rather than look at the situation scientifically, the preferred methodology here is a mixture of presumption, assumption and anecdote. There's not much you can do faced with that mind set.

• Like 1

On 10.4.2018 at 9:29 AM, Thian said:

Mostly it's the ones without helmets who don't give a duck about safety of themselves or others.

I don't care if they kill themselves but they show very clearly how they think about the law. Also it's the first thing tourists in Thailand see, so they think there's no rule of law in this country.

Western tourists...
Some don't need to see locals braking the laws!
SE Asia seems to be the spot where no laws exist for them and where the brain (if there is brain) is on holidays too.
Yesterday I met a young couple 50km north of CM at a gas station, riding a rental scooter. In shorts, bikini and flip flops, no helmets, no shirt...
After a short smalltalk I mentioned it would be better to wear their helmets and shirts or even jackets and long pants.
The answer of the US-boy was: <deleted> off ! We came here to enjoy our freedom. We give a shit on your safety warnings.
Next time I will see a bleeding idiot again, will make me just smile...

This guy at least had the balls to say it as it is.

It is however a "frustration rant" with little constructive format.

I know I harp on but until they allow mufti cops on the road with the power to take strict action against offenders & stop lining their pockets it will never improve along with U turn rationalization & motor bikes

having to obey road rules as well

Road blocks will not solve the problem. The road rage after having been stopped & inconvenienced at a

roadblocks has to be seen to be believed

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:47 AM, webfact said:

"Don't just see fines as a bit of paper," said Dr Thanapong Jinawong. "Understand why you got the fine and adjust your driving accordingly".

But it is just a piece of paper.  Introduce a points system like in most civilised countries with three or four pieces of paper and you are banned.  In Thailand there is never a paper trail as most fines end up as "tea money" for the BIB.

One of the big killers here must be motorbikes joining big roads from small soi's.
Don't know how many times I have seen middle age ladies with 3 kids on the bike (all without helmets, of course) driving straight on to a main road without even a glance at the road they are joining.
Been driving here for a long time, so I somehow expect the unexpected, but this must take many lives...
Yes. Motorcycles and Cars coming from a soi joining a major road rarely look or stop at all. I mean that's common sense, isn't it? That's why I never use the left lane or the hard shoulder...

3 hours ago, natway09 said:

This guy at least had the balls to say it as it is.

It is however a "frustration rant" with little constructive format.

I know I harp on but until they allow mufti cops on the road with the power to take strict action against offenders & stop lining their pockets it will never improve along with U turn rationalization & motor bikes

having to obey road rules as well

Road blocks will not solve the problem. The road rage after having been stopped & inconvenienced at a

roadblocks has to be seen to be believed

If you find yourself shouting and cursing other drivers, you probably shouldn't be driving here.

Most of it seems to stem from the inadequacies of the driver doing the yelling and most of it seems to be confirmation bias.

A lot of it is trying time convince a passenger it was the other driver's fault you didn't see it coming. ... and in reality you are a superb driver.

If you lack that amount of confidence....stay at home or get someone else to drive. ...

9 minutes ago, CLW said:
On 4/10/2018 at 10:16 AM, JOC said:
One of the big killers here must be motorbikes joining big roads from small soi's.
Don't know how many times I have seen middle age ladies with 3 kids on the bike (all without helmets, of course) driving straight on to a main road without even a glance at the road they are joining.
Been driving here for a long time, so I somehow expect the unexpected, but this must take many lives...

Yes. Motorcycles and Cars coming from a soi joining a major road rarely look or stop at all. I mean that's common sense, isn't it? That's why I never use the left lane or the hard shoulder...

Perhaps you should check your highway code. By default Thailand has priority from the left

Perhaps you should check your highway code. By default Thailand has priority from the left
Are you serious? So I can shoot into any road without looking or stopping. Give me a break. That is against all the traffic laws I ever learned.

3 minutes ago, CLW said:
33 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Are you serious? So I can shoot into any road without looking or stopping. Give me a break. That is against all the traffic laws I ever learned.

It is true though and is in a few places.

Maybe said already, but if fines are not paid within 30 days, confiscate the vehicle involved next time it is seen, even if the owner is different to the perpetrator. And, instead of Thai soaps, a compulsory hour of traffic education on TV every night.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dunroaming said:

It is true though and is in a few places.

3 hours ago, CLW said:
4 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

What this shows is how little most expats bother to find out about driving in Thailand, they just make  assumptions about other drivers and don't realise that it isn't the same as at home.

This absurd rule killed thousands in France  (and many other European countries too - priority to the right, there of course) and although it has been controlled it still exists there too.

This then shows us that with properly designed, signed and constructed roads and junctions even a ridiculous piece of law like this can be dealt with, but please don't just blame the drivers; they are no more stupid than you or I, at least they know the rules of the road

Edited by Airbagwill

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

Maybe said already, but if fines are not paid within 30 days, confiscate the vehicle involved next time it is seen, even if the owner is different to the perpetrator. And, instead of Thai soaps, a compulsory hour of traffic education on TV every night.

I'd like to see that idea backed up with a bit of research

• Like 1