Your Predictions on Living in Thailand 10 Years from Now

bwpage3

10 years is a long time and lots of things can change in 10 years.

Just look back 10 years and see how much things have changed since then.

Political landscape could change a lot of things in the next 10 years.

What are your predictions for the next 10 years living in Thailand as an expat?

For those that are considering moving to Thailand or retiring to Thailand in the next 10 years, what are your major concerns?

What are some things that could change positively that would make you consider retiring in Thailand? What are some of the negatives?

• Thanks 2

there will be no ex pats in 10 years time, the current bunch will have fallen off their balconies or just died from dehydration whilst constantly reporting and the Chinese just don't want us there as anything but walking atm tourists, so they will gradually phase out everything except the tourist visa....Thai ruk Thai (providing you are the Chinese descended ruling class)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mstevens said:

In 10 years time from now, the year 2028, my predictions for expats in Thailand are as follows:

- The cost of living in Thailand (particularly in Bangkok) will be significantly higher due to inflation running at a higher rate than the West and the baht increasing in value against all major currencies.  Thailand will not be the bargain it once was.  Central Bangkok rents and the general cost of living will push many expats out in to the suburbs and expats living in central Bangkok will be those with money / professional expat positions / those who purchased property back when prices were much more reasonable.

- The retirement visa age and financial requirements will be revised with the age pushed up to 55 or 60 and the financial requirements doubled, reflecting the increasing cost of living and the simple fact that Thailand's booming economy is not reliant on income from retirees.

- Thailand will be in the top handful of countries in the world for visitor numbers with in excess of 60 million visitors per year, more than half of whom are Chinese.

- The influence of China on Thailand will become greater and more visible with more investment from China, Chinese tourists dominating visitor numbers and the Chinese language becoming more important and being taught more widely.

- Infrastructure in Thailand will be creaking with the airports, mass transit systems and the roads struggling to keep up with demand amid talks of massive infrastructure investment needed.

- There will be heated debate about immigration policy as the issue of demographics and the projections that the country's population could decline polarising the country.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

Good and valid points....some observations to add:

Your first point is already happening and has been for some time, arguably for at least the past 15 years - back then there were expats asking about their move to Issan and whether or not it was viable, those with more robust finances chose popular destinations.

Your second point is also inevitable but I think it may still take some time before the coin drops with them that this is a smart thing to do.

Your points about China are also inevitable and are also currently underway.

I might add, to expand on LB's point: I would not be surprised to see expat taxation in Thailand at some point, income, pensions, property, who knows.

Edited by simoh1490
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

I think the low budget expat will be forced out and a new wave of tax avoiding expats with money arrives. I see major tax increases coming, across the globe, and Thailand is a great place to seek refuge from that.

the next tax heaven for expats will be Partugal, and from Portugal we emigrate to Brasil. 

Thailand will experience the real estate bubble will crack and prices on property will fall like Spain experienced in 2008. Still not recover yet from that one! 

There is no way this can go on the last 10 years!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

the next tax heaven for expats will be Partugal, and from Portugal we emigrate to Brasil. 

Thailand will experience the real estate bubble will crack and prices on property will fall like Spain experienced in 2008. Still not recover yet from that one! 

There is no way this can go on the last 10 years!

average none City rent for a 1 bed apt - THB 8k a month

average price to buy, non Ciry 1 bed apt - THB 56k a square metre

average property price in Thailand, what would you guess, around 3 million baht, MAYBE!

Tell me again what can't go on. https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Thailand

15 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

average none City rent for a 1 bed apt - THB 8k a month

average price to buy, non Ciry 1 bed apt - THB 56k a square metre

average property price in Thailand, what would you guess, around 3 million baht, MAYBE!

Tell me again what can't go on. https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Thailand

Right now prices varies from how close to city center you are ot 10 minutes around Hua Hin from 120 000 bath m2 for newbuilt 5 min away from city center, and down to 40 000,- m2 estimated around 10 years old more than 10 min away from city center. It is rediculus prices compare to the quality they are building here. Now condominums have a peak after 10 years, and from then it is just going down, and after 30 years, you get zero back. Lifetime of a condeminium here? 50 years? 

To easy to just built new, and there is no regulation at all in the marked. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

You're looking solely at the expat housing market, Thailands housing wasn't built for just expats, the situation facing everyday Thai people is totally different from what you see hence things are not about to change just to satisfy a few whinging expats. 

I am guessing you are an expat? This forum is basic expat forum, and what do you mean by I solely looking at expat housing marked? No, it is 51% thai marked where we have 49% of the cake. It is not expats driving the prices up, it is mostly rich Thai and some Chineese investors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thai Baht will crash attracting a new wave of retirees. General attitude off Thais will become increasingly anti Foreigner but due to the crash in their economy will revert to being LOS again to attract inward funds.Many international companies such as Makro etc will shut up shop. Property and 2nd hand vehicle prices will plummet, taxes will increase, widespread poverty for the masses yet loan sharks and HiSos becoming richer by the hour. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I am guessing you are an expat? This forum is basic expat forum, and what do you mean by I solely looking at expat housing marked? No, it is 51% thai marked where we have 49% of the cake. It is not expats driving the prices up, it is mostly rich Thai and some Chineese investors. 

Yes I am a long term expat.

I am not suggesting that expats are driving up prices, I am merely responding to your statement when you said it can't continue like this, yes it can continue and it will. Your 49% is in a building that is shared with wealthy Thai people, neither you, not they are average in terms of wealth or income, neither is your building typical of the Thai housing market (assuming your talking about the 120k you mentioned).. So will there be housing market crash in Thailand, don't be silly, not when the average price is already so very low. Will your condo's get more expensive, yes they will. Will some elements of the housing market crash, probably, the top end is at risk.