How to clean dirty / stained tiles on covered but open patio

scorecard

3 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

Do you know what the dirt consists of i.e. soap rests, chalk etc ?

Good question and to be honest there's nothing all that specific other than from the elements, walking dirt in from the garden / outside the house etc.

It's not soap residue because there's no activity using soap or detergents and It's not from overuse of soaps etc., by the maid to try to keep it clean. Although requested often she avoids any attempt to clean it, but to be fair maybe she has no idea how to clean it. She's usually  not frightened to ask, she knows that she can ask for anything in terms of products and equipment to do her work. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I'd agree with that, plus I'd suggest applying it to a disposable towel or other flat cloth to keep the bleach from evaporating during those 5 minutes. 

Either pour the bleach on a towel that's been laid out flat, or (if you're brave enough to touch the stuff) dip the towel into a bucket with 50-50 bleach and water and lay the wet towel down flat and let it work for 5-10 minutes, then re-dip it and get the next patch.

Either way, the critical ingredient is the bleach.  If that doesn't work, the next step is to try muriatic acid (35% HCl = swimming pool acid) in the same way.  But that stuff is downright nasty to work with.

All good for the environment not.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I'd agree with that, plus I'd suggest applying it to a disposable towel or other flat cloth to keep the bleach from evaporating during those 5 minutes. 

Either pour the bleach on a towel that's been laid out flat, or (if you're brave enough to touch the stuff) dip the towel into a bucket with 50-50 bleach and water and lay the wet towel down flat and let it work for 5-10 minutes, then re-dip it and get the next patch.

Either way, the critical ingredient is the bleach.  If that doesn't work, the next step is to try muriatic acid (35% HCl = swimming pool acid) in the same way.  But that stuff is downright nasty to work with.

Thanks.

Bleach - can I assume you mean the chlorine you buy in a supermarket, usually with has the name Haiter?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks.

Bleach - can I assume you mean the chlorine you buy in a supermarket, usually with has the name Haiter?

That's what I use, along with a power sprayer and a scrubbing brush. In stubborn cases you can try Vixol which is 20% Hydrochloric acid and will remove the grouting also.

3 minutes ago, cooked said:

That's what I use, along with a power sprayer and a scrubbing brush. In stubborn cases you can try Vixol which is 20% Hydrochloric acid and will remove the grouting also.

Thanks. After leaving say 10 minutes I guess some will have evaporated but I'm sure I'll need to wash the remainder off with the garden hose. This will mean it's fairly well diluted.

It will run off onto  a grass lawn, any chance it will kill or damage the grass? 

I have exactly the same residue on my balcony tiles.

Rather than use acids that could damage the grout I used ordinary kitchen cleaning liquid and a kitchen steel pad as you might use for washing dishes. It takes a little effort but it doesn't damage the grout or the tiles. I tried bleach first but it was not very effective.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Thanks. After leaving say 10 minutes I guess some will have evaporated but I'm sure I'll need to wash the remainder off with the garden hose. This will mean it's fairly well diluted.

It will run off onto  a grass lawn, any chance it will kill or damage the grass? 

Bleach is a weed killer, yes. The grass will grow back. I doubt that washing with a low pressure garden hose will do it, that stuff really gets baked in.

59 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

All good for the environment not.

True, but look at your home and figure out how much environmental damage was done to acquire the materials, process it into lumber, bricks and tile, and then place it on a patch of ground that used to be home to tons of flora and fauna. 

A little bleach or HCl that turns mostly into oxygen (that's the active ingredient, BTW- oxygen), salt (NaCl or CaCl) and water isn't going to push it over some threshold for devastation.  You crossed that Rubicon when you decided to live indoors.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks.

Yes.  Just make sure you buy the blue bottle of Haiter and not the pink bottle.

Bleach.jpg

I had the whole yard surrounding my house tiled, obviously it was covered in dry cement and stuff when completed. I simply went over to my local builder's provider with a pic. of same and they handed me a container of suitable chemicle with instructions on how to apply?

First that is why if you have a choice when tiles are laid you use a dark grout but most Thais don't like dark that is why they go light color.  What is the cause just normal wear and tear and dirt from you shoes or even feet?

Sure there is a always a chemicals to use, that usually requires lot of water to rinse off if you don't and have pet?  Then the cost?

As noted, you can just use common laundry bleach very cheap they a spray bottom and fill it to the top or half way and mix with water. If you want strong then do not rinse down your patio first but it might cause some discoloration to your tile.  Before that go to the Thai hardware store for 120 baht get a metal type brush with long handle spray the grout and let it sit for 5 minutes or more the longer the more chance of discoloration.  Take the brush and scrumb in between the tiles and then rinse. 

This is the same solution I use for mold on grout between tiles in bathrooms,  also a small amount in you stain coffee cup does it in 5 minutes or less.  Vinagar is good too.

Usually elbow grease is the solution! Good luck

Edited by thailand49

15 hours ago, impulse said:

Yes.  Just make sure you buy the blue bottle of Haiter and not the pink bottle.

Bleach.jpg

What is the actual difference between the blue and pink bottles?

16 hours ago, cooked said:

i use Hydrochloric acid if u dilute the acid say 20 to 1 leave on for 2 mins scrub with brush and hose off.

1 hour ago, coppywriter said:

Karcher steam cleaner.

3 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

I tried several topical solutions that never worked. I switched to a rotary tool and made quick work of it and rerouted. Looked fantastic. If at all possible avoid using white grout. 

I just use a pressure washer, does the job...My kitchen has black grout..Still looks like new...:stoner:

17 hours ago, scorecard said:

YES...You must make sure you either keep it off the grass, or really use a lot of water to wash off the grass as well.

17 hours ago, cooked said:

Be very careful not to let bleach and hydrocloric acid  mix together 

say for example  the bleach is  applied and doesn't seem to work be sure to wash it away thoroughly before trying the acid other wise a very dangerous gas can be produced  they used it in World War I and II

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johng said:

Be very careful not to let bleach and hydrocloric acid  mix together 

say for example  the bleach is  applied and doesn't seem to work be sure to wash it away thoroughly before trying the acid other wise a very dangerous gas can be produced  they used it in World War I and II

Good point. Chlorine gas. A woman nearly got killed in Switzerland about 10 years ago like that 

1 hour ago, gbob said:

What is the actual difference between the blue and pink bottles?

I'm not sure.  You'd have to ask someone who can read the Thai.  But I bought a bottle one day when they were out of the blue bottles.  And while it smelled good (like a French business woman, as the GI's used to say), it did not kill the nasties.  Mostly, I use bleach on my towels because they go off after one or two showers if I don't use bleach.  I can get several days out of a towel that's been disinfected with bleach.  I also use it on my bedding, to kill the little creepy crawlies, and any mold and mildew from the humidity (I'm allergic), and keep it from going off.   

The pink stuff just didn't do it.

Edited by impulse

22 minutes ago, weegee said:

YES...You must make sure you either keep it off the grass, or really use a lot of water to wash off the grass as well.

It is wise to keep it off the grass, but if you look at the old timey instructions for treating dodgy water with bleach to make it safe(r) to drink, they recommend leaving it open to the atmosphere to let the bleach dissipate, because the bleach evaporates faster than the water.  So it's not as if there's a bunch of residue after it's dry to the touch like some powders may leave behind.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I have exactly the same residue on my balcony tiles.

Rather than use acids that could damage the grout I used ordinary kitchen cleaning liquid and a kitchen steel pad as you might use for washing dishes. It takes a little effort but it doesn't damage the grout or the tiles. I tried bleach first but it was not very effective.

The issue with "kitchen cleaning liquid" is that there are so many different kinds and brands, and some of them are a lot more caustic and noxious than beach.  If you happen on the right one, it will work fine.  If you choose the wrong one, it may not work at all, or may permanently discolor what you're trying to clean (ask me how I know that...).  What I like about bleach is that it's consistent and predictable.  That doesn't mean harmless, but I know what it's going to do.

Getting to the OP's problem, it looks like a combination of mold and mildew on top of scale precipitating from evaporating water that has left its dissolved solids behind.  That's 2 discrete problems.

If it's just mold and mildew, it should wipe right off- assuming the tile has a glossy finish.  The bleach solution addresses the mold and mildew and the black color they create, but doesn't do much for the scale or the porosity in the grout.  For the grout and the areas with scale where there's some porosity for the mold and mildew to grab a hold, it gets tougher.    The HCl solution addresses the scale by dissolving it, along with some of the grout.  If you don't like HCl, vinegar (weak acetic acid) will do the same, albeit slower and stinkier.

Edited by impulse