Road deaths, injuries up for first 2 days of Songkran

rooster59

2 hours ago, markaoffy said:

60,000 drunk drivers in 2 days, and that’s only the ones caught!! Ever need an example of how irresponsible and selfish people are !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

good point, if the shockingly inept, lazy and unprofessional RTP have managed to put their facebook feeds down long enough to catch 60,00, just imagine how many drunk drivers there are out there. terrifying.

I really do not understand The Nation and Thai Visa, a few months ago you wrote about 26,000 death people by road accidents per year this is an average of 71 peoples a day now during the peak time Songkran is 99 in two days so less than the year average...can someone tell me what the true is.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) deputy spokesperson Colonel Sirichan Ngathong said that road travel was still far from safe,

It's time for the Karaoke King to consider recording a Thai rendition of:

"Helplessly Hoping".

• Haha 2

As I have said before and will say again it is about time that the authorities showed some guts and CRUSHED the seized vehicles. Until they do this the toll will continue to rise

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

That's not a great deal of deterrent %% 

Should read 32,592 bikes and licences were confiscated !! Never mind, at least they will hang on to No.1 status for at least another year..

Yep, you beat me to it. Absolutely useless enforcement here. They will NEVER learn. Sorry, correction they are incapable of learning :coffee1:

27 minutes ago, peperobi said:

I really do not understand The Nation and Thai Visa, a few months ago you wrote about 26,000 death people by road accidents per year this is an average of 71 peoples a day now during the peak time Songkran is 99 in two days so less than the year average...can someone tell me what the true is.

Simple... Numbers are creatively calculated to show the evident brilliance of the 7-days Safety campaign :coffee1:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, mr_lob said:

Well i for one want to stick up for the boys in brown. I drove past a 'checkpoint' yesterday and there were 5 of the nation's finest doing a stellar job. 

One of them got to level 18 on angry birds and the other 4 were clearly chatting to their giks on fb / taking care of business

Same here, along the road from Chiang Mai to Mae Rim, there were cones partitioning the road, but All of the 6 or 7 'officers' were sitting inside their camouflage hideout, backs bent into 90° angles, tapping away on their screens... 

Most reasonable, half intelligent people, would question what they are doing wrong when fatalities and injuries on the roads keep increasing.....and why are so many drunk drivers still driving after all the media and the so called police "blitzes"?

Not here in Thailand will failure ever be mentioned or accepted!

It's never the authorities doing...it's always something else......latest excuse is that the extra day holiday has been a cause......

Sad that the authorities do not seek genuine expert outside assistance in their road safety initiatives.

50 minutes ago, peperobi said:

In other words you are saying if the police got off their bottoms or phones and did their job - like in songkran - then the roads would be better all year ? I think you fail to take into consideration the boredom threshold of the Thai policeman - 5 or 6 days OK, a year, no way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing is safe in this country! whatever you are use you always have to be aware to die!

And as long you not brainwash thais in a good way there is no ending of death rates on the road in Thailand.

Thais always want to be number one !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

This is tragic...too much so for "smart ass" remarks....Each and every one of these tragedies leave devastated families in their wake. RIP..to all the deceased.

If they were drunk and killed innocents yes or course RIP victims

Just drunks and killed themselves who cares!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Every year they spout off about how they are going to cut the number of accidents, deaths and injuries, and every year it gets worse. Perhaps if they kept their mouths shut, things could get better?:sorry:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

This cannot be correct, before the holiday government lackies were spouting off about 7% reduction this year.

They said that there were measures in place to make songkran safer.

Maybe the idiots on the road also heard about these measures and thought they could drink some extra and drive a little faster because of them?

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, mr_lob said:

Well i for one want to stick up for the boys in brown. I drove past a 'checkpoint' yesterday and there were 5 of the nation's finest doing a stellar job. 

One of them got to level 18 on angry birds and the other 4 were clearly chatting to their giks on fb / taking care of business

I passed one checkpoint yesterday afternoon and they were all sitting about around the table drinking bottles of whiskey... totally true!  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, markaoffy said:

60,000 drunk drivers in 2 days, and that’s only the ones caught!! Ever need an example of how irresponsible and selfish people are !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I bet 95% of all drivers on the road in the evening are over the limit.

I knew that drink driving and dangerous driving here in Thailand was a major issue, but 60,000 in just 2 days ! ---- That were caught ( maybe 10% of the actual offenders )

Its time to start believing in God and start praying every time you go to the Supermarket in your car.

• Like 1

I read in the Bangkok Post that the increased holiday time was also the cause of higher injuries and fatalities. BUT it was the same Government who gave them the extra day  and now they are complaining. Everyone who is NOT THAI know and appreciates what Thais are like , holiday means drinking and partying. That is why many expats I know stay behind locked gates , watching the mayhem, death and in juries from a safe vantage point and laugh at the idiotic comments emanating from Govt spokespersons.