Phuket vs. nearby island or beaches

sspacer

On 4/24/2018 at 6:18 PM, sspacer said:

I was wondering about the cost.  I will be going in June.  What would I pay taking a long tail at Rawai compared to sharing a boat at Chalong?  What would the cost be at Panwa?

Are you sure you can afford a holiday here? It would depend on where you are staying. Rawai and Chalong aren't far from each other so the cost would be close to the same. Panwa isn't very close to Chalong or Rawai. Rawai is the closest I do believe to Koh Hae. 

19 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Ok Phi Phi really quiet. I’ve not been in 4-5 years but the area down by Holiday Inn was then really quiet 

Yes, that is a quiet area that will still be quiet.

On 4/20/2018 at 8:20 PM, sspacer said:

thanks for the tip Madmitch.  I will go to Nai Harn Beach and check out Yanui and Ao Sane Beaches.

Epic waste of time and effort unless you want to look at lots of sand under water. Use the five days to get a PADI open water cert and enter manhood. Snorkeling... Gimme a break

Absolutely correct - as I mentioned earlier on this thread, forget Phuket during the monsoon; I see Phi Phi has been recommended - be careful, as many have lost limbs etc diving there, due to propellers....

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:35 AM, Bogbrush said:

Islands like Koh Hey might work, but Phuket beaches in June will be unplayable for the reasons given: monsoon/rip tides/murky water. Rather concentrate on detailed research on specific recommended island locations, and then narrow the choice down to avoid disappointment.

Bogbrush is correct in his assessment of the beaches at that time of year. He is not trying to smear Phuket, but is bristling with knowledge on turbid waters and what lurks within. 

• Like 1

Bogbrush is correct in his assessment of the beaches at that time of year. He is not trying to smear Phuket, but is bristling with knowledge on turbid waters and what lurks within. 

Indeed! The current is picking up at Ao Sane and Nai Harn. Ya Nui is a bit more protected. By June we should have some decent size waves! I can’t wait! I have new surf fins and my old Hobie Body Board this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks for all the great info.  I learned a lot.  One needs to be very careful snorkeling during the monsoon season and to be a real man, I should give it up completely and and get my  PADI open water certification.  LOL.   I think that I will just use my time in Phuket to explore the island on the cheap.  I will catch the bus at the airport to Phuket City and then catch another one to Chalong.  Once there I will visit Koh Hey.  If there are any calm days, I will snorkel.  If I have any questions about making the trip, I will open up a new thread.

On 4/15/2018 at 4:42 PM, madmitch said:

You're in low season so can pick up decent guesthouse rooms for 500 to 600 baht per night.

I believe that Ao Sane Beach isn't too bad during the low season, not sure about Yanui. These are probably the two beaches on-island best for snorkelling.

PS if you do want to book a ferry to the islands agencies in the resorts don't book online, use a tour agency. 

There is nothing decent for 5-600 baht per night in any season unless your into concrete slabs as a mattress. OP nailed it at 1000baht which is the sweet spot for low season

Edited by InMyShadow
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

There is nothing decent for 5-600 baht per night in any season unless your into concrete slabs as a mattress. OP nailed it at 1000baht which is the sweet spot for low season

Depends on what you mean with decent.

But plenty clean, quiet places available with good rooms and matrasses for 500-600 baht.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Absolute BS. Try looking at Tripadvisor or Agoda/Booking.com reviews. 

Edited by madmitch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1