Arabs have 300,000 baht stolen from the safe - hotel gives them 5,000 baht compensation

webfact

Arabs have 300,000 baht stolen from the safe - hotel gives them 5,000 baht compensation

3pm.jpg

Thai Channel 7 TV reported on a story of two safes being removed from two hotel rooms in the Sukhumvit area of Bangkok last Friday.

A total of 300,000 baht was missing along with passports and documents.

But the hotel were only obliged to give the victims 5,000 baht in compensation according to the law.

The rest would be up for discussion, said Channel 7.

Lumpini police are on the case studying CCTV.

There was no forced entry to the rooms but both safes were ripped out and removed.

The occupants - tourists from the United Arab Emirates - were due to leave Thailand yesterday but have delayed their departure pending the resolution of the case.

As is usual in such cases, the hotel concerned was not named.

Source: Channel 7 TV

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-18
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you have insurance your valuables should be locked in the safe..and you should then be able to claim,if you take your valuables with you and you are robbed you have nothing to come.......:whistling:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And if it operates by numbered buttons you can find many cases where hotel staff have used a specific type of paper to collect the oil from fingertips to indicate which buttons have most recently been used. From there they try various configurations of the 4 (?) buttons until they crack the password code.

10,000 possible combinations for 4 digit lock. You'd want to be patient.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Where else should you leave your valuables then? 

That's the $64,000 question.   Mostly, I leave everything I don't need at home. 

But that leaves me with my passport, a few thousand $ USD emergency cash, and a laptop -at the least.  I keep the $$$ stashed inside the lining of my carry on, where someone has to make same effort to find it and steal it, but that's not much better than hiding it between the mattresses (though I'd never forget it stashed in my carry-on, while I am subject to lapses in memory if I were to hide it anywhere in the room, including the safe). 

The point is that there is nowhere you can really secure your valuables when traveling.  (Unless you can leave them in your jet on the tarmac- and even then...)  Best to leave them behind unless you need them.

Edited by impulse

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

10,000 possible combinations for 4 digit lock. You'd want to be patient.

If you know all 4 digits from the oil spots, but not the order they're in, it's 4^4 = 256 combinations.  That's doable in a few minutes.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Every time a hotel room is robbed, it is always a very large amount of cash that is stolen.

We never see reports of thefts of only a couple of thousand, always hundreds of thousands, same with so- called baggage thefts.

Maybe just maybe because its not newsworthy otherwise.

I understand what you mean, you think amounts are inflated.. possible too.. but only the large amounts are newsworthy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Or press 6 times 0.....

I'm looking forward to hearing from one of the 100's of guys who just watched that video and tried it out on their room safe, just for giggles.

Surely that's got to be a feature of that one brand?  Though I imagine each brand has to offer the hotel staff a way in when people forget stuff in the hotel safe when they leave...

11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

As it's random there's as much chance of getting lucky the first time as the 10,000th time so patience may not be necessary!

With my luck it would be the 10,000th try.

Hotel safety deposit boxes (behind the front desk) is preferable to a room safe providing they allow you to attach your own lock in addition to theirs...

But for a large sum or valuable item, get the hotel to put it in their safe and for the duty manager to issue a receipt (obviously to count any cash first, etc.).  This may not be an option for small hotels/guesthouses of course.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Good point, in fact when I was continuously travelling all of Asia (and beyond) I rationalized what I carried with me.

I instructed staff in all locations to not give me hard copies of documents (unless originals were critical for some reason) just send them using the company secure e-mail system.

I always had my passport, cash and my credit cards and watch on me, none of them expensive. I never had more than say the equivalent of US$300 cash on me, and I instructed all my offices to always have extra cash available for travelling staff, if needed.

I also gave the accountant in each office the responsibility to contact the accountant in the home office to promptly make credit card payments if needed for travelling staff.

Quickly one of the local accountants refused to make a CC payment for one of the local consultants who was away from home and had needed to use her credit card more than expected. That accountant didn't receive an annual pay rise at the end of the year. Nobody tried the 'not my responsibility' card again.

I planned ahead what clothes I needed to carry, nothing much extra and no super expensive suits etc.

I issued quidelines to all travelling staff to rationalize what they carry, leave nothing in the room and to check every time that hotel doors were locked from the inside and to avoid leaving the hotel room when the maid or other service staff were present. 

Just to expand slightly on what scorecard was saying above, your valuables don't stop at physical items. Be very cautious of what you have on your laptops and tablets and where, and how you leave them in your hotel rooms. Whether it be company related or sensitive personal data; this can be a nightmare if exploited for many. Analog ransomware if available to exploit.

If you are a regular traveller, think about more security than just a Windows password, this can be bypassed within 2 minutes (depending on your boot time) by anyone who knows what they are doing. Fingerprint scanners IMO lead people into a false sense of security because of the built in bypass options in place. Think encryption.

Be careful out there..................:thumbsup:

• Like 1