Law reform panel hints at complete overhaul of police bill

rooster59

Law reform panel hints at complete overhaul of police bill

thaipolice.jpg

The law reform committee may not just amend the National Police Bill as propose by the police reform panel but may rewrite the whole bill and amended the other related laws, said Kamnoon Sidhisamarn a member of the law reform committee on Saturday (April 21).

He maintained that the overhaul of the National Police Bill which may amount to reworking the entire bill must be able to address two fundamental issues:  firstly, to address the plight of the people from abuses by the police and their expectations from the police and, secondly, to address the plight of the police themselves regarding unfair promotions and transfers and various shortages in the police force.

Mr Kamnoon said that the two fundamental issues must be addressed within the six frameworks initiated by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/law-reform-panel-hints-complete-overhaul-police-bill/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-22

20 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

firstly, to address the plight of the people from abuses by the police and their expectations from the police and, secondly, to address the plight of the police themselves regarding unfair promotions and transfers and various shortages in the police force.

strongly suggest they review the parable of the cart before the horse; firstly should be the behavior of the police themselves, then the public, likely taking a generation, would respond

• Like 2

One afternoon many years ago, I was crossing the street in our local village headed to the hardware store when a police officer waved for me to come to him. My Thai wife, who was walking with me, ignored him and muttered “Keep walking.” So, I did.

Later, when we visited the states I brought up this incident and explained that it is best not to ignore and walk away from the police in America if they want to talk with us. And no they don't want money... 

Edited by missoura
  • Like 2

They had that old retired general who was suppose to fix the BiB gang.  He was suppose to have it all worked out in nine months and then silence. 

Most of my interaction, though very few, have been pleasant.  Only once did a couple of cops try to shake me down.  They asked me a question and I would answer and then respond with "is that illegal".  They asked questions like: why are you waking so far ?  Why are you walking so fast ?  When they saw I was not afraid of them, they lost interest   Like any gang members, it is just better to avoid them. 

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

They had that old retired general who was suppose to fix the BiB gang.  He was suppose to have it all worked out in nine months and then silence. 

Most of my interaction, though very few, have been pleasant.  Only once did a couple of cops try to shake me down.  They asked me a question and I would answer and then respond with "is that illegal".  They asked questions like: why are you waking so far ?  Why are you walking so fast ?  When they saw I was not afraid of them, they lost interest   Like any gang members, it is just better to avoid them. 

And in a case like this it's always possible they were fake cops. 

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

firstly, to address the plight of the people from abuses by the police and their expectations from the police and, secondly, to address the plight of the police themselves regarding unfair promotions and transfers and various shortages in the police force.

isn't it much easier to only reform uniforms and sunglasses, and maybe the mascot?

Sounds too good to be true.

But why should it not become true? At least the insight is there.

This is what many of us are hoping for - why not consider it possible?

I am sorry for the negative comments here.

You dont't give them a chance - not even in your thinking

You might say I'm deluded. 

But if you call your negative thinking real - that's deluded, too

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Curious, no mention of corruption - some of which the people have to to rely upon.

Will this reform include the prevention of senior police officers from taking advantage of their positions and increasing their incomes by moonlighting and/or being "advisers" for private companies such as ThaiBev? 

Some senior officers recently came out and admitted their police job was only a sideline while they worked in their real income producing jobs outside the force.

Nothing will come of this law reform review. It's all for show and not for go. Just going through the motions to appease Prime Minister Prayut and his six frameworks, whatever they might be.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sweatalot said:

You summed it up accurately in that statement.

2 hours ago, sweatalot said:

I'll be the first to put my hand up for that.

Just joking. Seriously, I hope your optimism is fulfilled; but alas in Thailand it always seems the more things change the more they stay the same.

5 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

isn't it much easier to only reform uniforms and sunglasses, and maybe the mascot?

And 20 years ago the airline Thai xxxxx did just that when they had een deluged with customer service complaints.

The CEO made a big announcement  'yes we know there are many complaints about service, we will fix it, we've ordered new uniforms'.

3 hours ago, sweatalot said:

But why should it not become true? At least the insight is there.

This is what many of us are hoping for - why not consider it possible?

I am sorry for the negative comments here.

You dont't give them a chance - not even in your thinking

But if you call your negative thinking real - that's deluded, too

And I can assure you that many many Thai people are strongly hoping for reform of the RTP.