Fault car accident....bill way too high?

7 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Are you saying the missus should have chased them or rather their insurance co.?

I would have thought they'd make her aware of any actions to be taken or estimates. Many people simply wouldn't be able to pay, or I may have been leaving the country, in which case the plaintiffs may have a taken the car to a regular priced reputable shop.

ps No objection to Honda parts being used even if they didn't stand up very well in the bump.

No, your missus didn't cause the accident, you did. If you run into a parked car you could have killed somebody too. Take responsibility and pay up, you are the only one to blame and others shouldn't be out of pocket or inconvenienced in any way. Of course they want a replacement car, should they walk because you didn't take care?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Self insure ? What if you crashed into a more expensive sports car (i.e. Porsche etc).... 

Ultimatey the Op thinks he is being treated unfairly, I think he is wrong. 

Crash into my car, I'll will expect it repaired at the main dealer, I will expect a rental while it is out of use.

I'm surprised that this amount of damage costs so little to repair. 

Perhaps the Op expects a shifty- cheap repair yo be acceptable to the owner of a new car.

The Op has fallen foul of taking a chance by driving without insurance. 

Surely your own insurance will sort out the repair of your vehicle regardless of the insurance status of the person that hit you.

• Confused 1

Just a reminder that even newspapers do not normally publish readable plate numbers on accident vehicles - and you have made comments about the vehicle owner on the internet that might be subject to legal actions under local laws?  .  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Do you know how odds work ? Every time you drive, and have no accident, the odds go up that you will.

A Statistician, Insurer and Gambler writes:

These odds ‘that you will’ do not go up, they go down!

That is why insurance companies reduce premiums for claim-free years, and a horse that wins many times becomes the favourite, etc.

• Like 1

Actually she didn't have 1st class insurance, otherwise you wouldn't be in communication directly with her and as she is self insuring she knows which repairshop she would be requesting you to attend if the tables were turned. She's also aware that if you now say take a hike and that she will need to go to court to get an order to make you pay for any of her out of pocket expenses, including the repair of her car. She also knows the court will take into consideration her and your level of insurance coverage and will then tell her to do onto others what she would like done to her. Basically she will settle this privately for Baht 30,000 

It is the victim’s insurance company invoicing the op, not the op’s victim.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, thedemon said:

So the insurer of the non-fault vehicle pays for the repair according to the terms of their own policy held i.e. First class, 2nd class etc.

Therefore the scenario you mention where the bill for the other parties damage is sent to your insurance company doesn't happen.

First phrase : So the non fault person is expected to fix their own vehicle - One would presume they would lose their no claim bonus & maybe have a policy payment increase on next yrs renewal - Does it work this way in Thailand ? 

* If they had 1st class Ins

Second phrase : Well I don't think they will be sending it to his Ins Company ( in this case their isn't one, as they would of been there anyway ). He admitted fault, only to other owner, & was willing to pay ( most Thais wouldn't even worry as they think Mai pen rai - Insurance ) or no have money 

*  Hence she is sending him the bill to avoid phrase 1, otherwise your stuck with just claiming ( so in other words she made a claim & sent it to him )

Big risk if he leaves the country & nothing to do with wife

Edited by BEVUP

6 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Just wondering why anybody would "self insure"....to save 15 or 16,000 Bt.

Supposing, God forbid, one had an accident that caused a death...too terrible to think about.

There would be a line of folk knocking at the door showing their palm....bored.gif.84bc286f44cf10e6f95eb755edae6732.gif

Im lost.So that Vintage Truck has Basic Insurance, no prob,owner pays for own damage to the Clonker, Honda Owner gets Repaired by Insurance.Not much chance of a free Courtesy Car here generally. Recon the OP lives in a dream world.Same as the folks who bang on about BACK HOME we do it this way.!!

• Like 2