Do you have a shed ?

superal

43 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I have three. One on the main yard which is an actual workshop. Welders and power tools and a good bench with a vice.

On the other yard I have a small one which is now just irrigation storage, and another 5x12 meter shed which is actually split level with a balcony.

I did the split level part for the inlaws, whose bamboo shed I knocked downed and burned to build a better one. They were supposed to use the lower level as the kitchen, and the upper balcony for midday sleeping. The back half 5x8 meters high ceiling was all for me. However, I never even got to putting the walls on the back section before they moved into it. It is now hammocks, cooking crap, firewood supply, various agricultural implements. They like the open wall concept and it is a very popular hangout. Seriously, there is always someone there, I don't always know who they are either.

The lower area in the front which is supposed to be their kitchen is now jammed full of old timbers and broken stuff. And no one ever seems to use the really nice and scenic 5x4 balcony. I can't even drive my quad in it any more because the midday cooking fire has to be precisely in the place I drive in.

Shed No 4 is in the pipeline?...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I think buying decent wood that is impervious to termites, woodworm or general Thai weather conditions would quite an expensive option which is probably why you don't see many sheds built this way here. A welded steel frame with steel side panels and roof could be a possibility or just one built the usual way with rendered brick or concrete blocks, perhaps painted to match your house. All of them would probably be a bit to hot to hold a social gathering inside, unless you fit aircon of course.

Perhaps the newer cement blocks that block the sun and perhaps the steel sheeting with insulation glued on the underside for the roof (it works well to reduce heat).

I have a tool/ workshop/storage room off of the garage and a fully outfitted man cave in the house to give me my space and access to what I like to do... Places to go when the family invade for a visit.. My wife was insistent that I have my man cave... great catchthere for sure!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tapster said:

It's dick, I tell ya!

7 minutes ago, Tapster said:

It's dick, I tell ya!

As with all extensions here, they need protection from the weather, diseases, bugs and the

like, I coat mine with a layer of latex.

36 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Perhaps the newer cement blocks that block the sun and perhaps the steel sheeting with insulation glued on the underside for the roof (it works well to reduce heat).

@keithpa

Indeed!

Your best bet in a land with so much easily-accessible rubber is to coat yourself with latex.

Fully protective, waterproof and can be removed after the inclement conditions have passed, to allow you to polish your deck at your leisure.

P.S ..................I'm outta here!

I have my own deck to polish!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, stropper said:

do not muck around with a shed buy an old 6 metre container, totalbly lockable, and you do can any thing with, even acts as a big safe !

Big enough for a Ladyboy ?    

10 hours ago, Rally123 said:

I have a man-cave. A place I can go and do my thing listening to farang music and potter about. We all need a bolt-hole.

Old Aussie saying.... a mans gotta have a shed

I have had one all my life..could live without it

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BEVUP said:

I would be using Insulated colour bond roof & Q Blocks

Not as cheap as you may think to build 

Myself & another Falang have very small garden sheds

Mine - 2 mtr x 3 x 3 = 30,000 bht

His 2.4 mtr x 1.2 x 3 = 17 - 20,000 

very basic

B30,000 for a 2x3 shed? Often on TVF people, usually old mongers in Pattaya, complain about being ripped-off by bar girls, etc. B30,000? Did that include a live-in bar girl?

No shed , no tools, drill, lathe, - nothing.

When I moved to Thailand from my old Victorian house which I had renovated over the years - I put everything on EBay as a job lot - would have a fortune to buy  everything new. Sold to a very pleasant Polish guy who was setting up his own decorating / renovation business - it’s was good to help out.

I own 3 screwdrivers - that’s it- the point of retirement was to never to see a pasting brush etc etc never again. 

Of course it’s horses for courses , so no shed for me 

Are sheds a British thing? Some friends back home in Yorkshire have 2 or 3.

2 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

No shed , no tools, drill, lathe, - nothing.

When I moved to Thailand from my old Victorian house which I had renovated over the years - I put everything on EBay as a job lot - would have a fortune to buy  everything new. Sold to a very pleasant Polish guy who was setting up his own decorating / renovation business - it’s was good to help out.

I own 3 screwdrivers - that’s it- the point of retirement was to never to see a pasting brush etc etc never again. 

Of course it’s horses for courses , so no shed for me 

So what are the screwdrivers for?

13 minutes ago, fakename said:

Why are there no basements here? I love a cool basement!

Quite a few of the houses in the village where I live have vast basements- usually if foreign owned have a gym etc- Thai owned - you can’t move for rubbish. Not too sure they are cool here. 

21 hours ago, Rally123 said:

I have a man-cave. A place I can go and do my thing listening to farang music and potter about. We all need a bolt-hole.

I gave my Mrs one and now I got the house to myself.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grollies said:

B30,000 for a 2x3 shed? Often on TVF people, usually old mongers in Pattaya, complain about being ripped-off by bar girls, etc. B30,000? Did that include a live-in bar girl?

That's ligit

That's an estimate on mine as other things were done

But I know for sure my English mate & wife paid 17-20 for theirs as they were checking & buying everything, & just paying for labour 

I'm sure it's 2.4 x 1.2 x 3 

The builders up here get 500 bht p/day 

Edited by BEVUP

11 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Indeed they are and an intrinsic part of British history extending well beyond Yorkshire to all corners of the British empire. Do you think the Aussies came up with the idea all on their tod?

Here's a good idea as to how seriously the British maintain this cornerstone of tradition.

Now, anyone here got an allotment?

And how about that undeniable, in-your-face, uniquely British statement of an individuals high net worth, the shed built on the allotment?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, agrow said:

us  ozzies love our sheds.just putting the final touches to  my mancave its 11mt x 9 mt x 6 mt.

received_2036017983342301.jpeg

received_2040463279564438.jpeg

received_2046735925603840.jpeg

received_2048438018766964.jpeg

received_2055550714722361.jpeg

received_2058046404472792.jpeg

received_2058046501139449.jpeg

That must have cost a pretty penny ?  what will the floor layout plan be like ?

@NanLaew

Good points.

Allotments aren't about net worth, though. They're given free, aren't they, after maybe years waiting for some old codger to die.

A shed on an allotment is essential or you have to bring your tools and everything each time you visit. Someone may break in though.

:smile:

A workshop isn't a uniquely British thing, for sure, but the garden shed, being a haven of maleness is certainly a British meme.