Windows 10 1803 Spring Update.....Marvelous!

Formaleins

51 minutes ago, jayceenik said:

I did the upgrade a couple nights ago.

It canceled my Restore Points and put my two PC on No Restore.

Had to redo it yesterday.

Fortunately I checked !

Many reasons a person's old restore points can get deleted and auto restore point turned off in Win 7, 8, and 10. One reason is when a upgraded OS is installed.    See below for more info....more reasons

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/system-restore-points-deleted-in-windows-7-troubleshoot-and-fix

image.png.3eccf1cafe87666e019808a1750977a1.png

Summary of patches/updates released 8 May.  And as a person can see anytime a person delays/pauses updates, like I'm doing just to give ver 1803 a little more time to mature, it's also preventing me from getting updates for my current ver 1709.  Although I've read the pausing/delaying of updates does not work for what MS considers a truly critical security update....don't know if really true or not.

https://www.askwoody.com/

image.png

Edited by Pib

And I was able to confirm pausing/delaying updates in Windows does not affect a person's ability to get the latest Office updates as I just clicked check for update "for my Office 2016 Pro suite" and it downloaded/installed updates no problem.   But I did notice the download took significantly longer today....normally the updates download at around a 50Mb speed when I monitor the speed in Task Manager Wifi performance, but today it was only around 5Mb.

I expect this is due to MS update servers being loaded down due to Windows 10 ver 1803 distribution.

image.png.dfe8f7c82e494c27ef2a41c8ddacac96.png

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I did my two main PCs, a desktop and a laptop, several days ago via a regular Windows Update check, and everything seems fine (no issues that I've noticed) in the wake of the update. The desktop is about 5 years old, and the laptop is about 1.5 years old.

This morning, Windows Update is already doling out an 1803 version cumulative update 2018-05.

2018-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4103721)

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This morning, Windows Update is already doling out an 1803 version cumulative update 2018-05.

2018-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4103721)

Updated with little issue this morning but got a 'Some Settings Are Managed By Your Organization' type warning in the Update panel.

Seems to have sorted itself out now.

48 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Says among other fixes that 2018-05 fixed the Cortana/Chrome freezing problems some people were experiencing.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4103721/windows-10-update-kb4103721

image.png.4d47648f9b5e439ca3a72b4eda5d9dd0.png

As nice to know at this MS webpage it lists the various Win 10 updates for various Win 10 versions (i.e., 1709. 1803, etc) with details on what each update fixes/improves.   Might come in handy if you have paused/delayed updates but still want to see what the updates fixed/improved.....see if it fixes some specific issue you are having.

And of course if you have already installed updates you can just go to the update history area within the Update & Security menu area of Win 10, click on an update, and then it will take you to that specific update info at below webpage. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4099479

2 hours ago, Unsane said:

Updated with little issue this morning but got a 'Some Settings Are Managed By Your Organization' type warning in the Update panel.

I saw that same notice, which I don't think I've ever seen before on my home PCs. And, in my case, there's no settings that are managed by any organization other than me, AFAIK.

53 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I saw that same notice, which I don't think I've ever seen before on my home PCs. And, in my case, there's no settings that are managed by any organization other than me, AFAIK.

Seems to be some regular error that crops up in W10 Pro from time to time.  I googled it and ran through some fixes though not sure if it required a fix to be honest.

1 hour ago, Unsane said:

Seems to be some regular error that crops up in W10 Pro from time to time.  I googled it and ran through some fixes though not sure if it required a fix to be honest.

Neither of my 1803 Win 10 PCs are PRO. Just regular Win 10.

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Neither of my 1803 Win 10 PCs are PRO. Just regular Win 10.

Are any of your update options greyed out?  If not, then there doesn't seem to be a problem.

6 hours ago, Pib said:

Summary of patches/updates released 8 May.  And as a person can see anytime a person delays/pauses updates, like I'm doing just to give ver 1803 a little more time to mature, it's also preventing me from getting updates for my current ver 1709.  Although I've read the pausing/delaying of updates does not work for what MS considers a truly critical security update....don't know if really true or not.

It will if you stop updates in the group policy editor. I stopped mine and not a single update came since mid-December. At that time there was no way for me to update without problems. I've since reset the PC and I'm up to date with 1803.

Just now, Unsane said:

Are any of your update options greyed out?  If not, then there doesn't seem to be a problem.

Everything looks normal in that regard. And I'm not seeing that "some settings" message any more.

5af2c95bc5468_2018-05-0917_08_41.jpg.82a6052cf4caf60587405f91c74fcfd2.jpg

Dunno about anyone else here, but I did decide to go into Windows settings and turn off/disable the new Timeline feature that the 1803 update added. I pretty well know where I've been and what I've been doing on the Internet, my browser history saves it for me for a time, and I don't feel the need to be sending all that info to MS, thanks very much.

21 hours ago, Unsane said:

Purchased one for three quid off of eBay a few days ago.  Worked a treat.

Thanks! I'll consider that as my next option. Right now I'm just messing around with hacks that are working at the moment. It's just an entertainment machine, so any problems are no major hassle.

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

Thanks! I'll consider that as my next option. Right now I'm just messing around with hacks that are working at the moment. It's just an entertainment machine, so any problems are no major hassle.

Tried that for W10 and couldn't find anything and eventually gave up.  The constant expiry date nonsense wore me down.

I just got an MS notification today to say that a cumulative  update for Win10 version 1709 was ready for installation as well as from Adobe Flash Player...I got the Win10 home edition...

I wanted to reply and say: 'hey, get hip, dude...everybody that I know has got the Win10 upgrade to version 1803 queued up and waiting...'

but maybe they know somethin' that I don't...

impending nuclear war and the destruction of western civilization and I'm stuck in rural Thailand with Win10 version 1709...

On 5/8/2018 at 5:29 PM, wgdanson said:

Isn't that what I said. DOWNLOADING you still use the PC, once INSTALLATION begins you cannot. Simple.

You can use your computer through the installation phase until you're asked to reboot.

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:
7 hours ago, Unsane said:

I started seeing that message after I made update changes in the group policy editor.

Edited by tropo

9 hours ago, Pib said:

Well, scratch the part above where I said "...it's also preventing me from getting updates for my current ver 1709..." because from the MS Update Catalog I just manually downloaded/installed the 8 May update for ver 1709.  The install went with no problem on both my Lenovo laptops.  Now I'm fully up to date with ver 1709....didn't miss out because I have paused by automatic update as I wait a little longer before going to ver 1803. 

After the update completed although my computers are still set to pause for updates it showed I had checked for updates just a minute ago because of the manual update I did a minute ago.  But the update pause setting  is still set with the 35 day pause blocking any automatic updates.  I was wondering if I did a manual update if it might turn off the automatic update pause/delay setting but it did not which is good...the manual update just did the specific update I asked for and no more.  

See below website for more info/how to do.   

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4103727

When going to the MS Catalog weblink talked in above link, since I have 64 bit computers and to ensure I got every update I downloaded/installed the 2018-05 "Cumulative" Update for 1709 as shown in the snapshot below.  I expect I could have downloaded the "Delta" update since its only half the size and I have all previous updates installed, but I just played it safe with the Cumulative update. 

If going this manual update route, be sure to pick the appropriate version depending on what kind of machine you have.

image.png.b4758e43ff0b063fa0a8929477a7294d.png

19 minutes ago, Pib said:

Well, scratch the part above where I said "...it's also preventing me from getting updates for my current ver 1709..." because from the MS Update Catalog I just manually downloaded/installed the 8 May update for ver 1709.  The install went with no problem on both my Lenovo laptops.  Now I'm fully up to date with ver 1709....didn't miss out because I have paused by automatic update as I wait a little longer before going to ver 1803. 

After the update completed although my computers are still set to pause for updates it showed I had checked for updates just a minute ago because of the manual update I did a minute ago.  But the update pause setting  is still set with the 35 day pause blocking any automatic updates.  I was wondering if I did a manual update if it might turn off the automatic update pause/delay setting but it did not which is good...the manual update just did the specific update I asked for and no more.  

See below website for more info/how to do.   

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4103727

When going to the MS Catalog weblink talked in above link, since I have 64 bit computers and to ensure I got every update I downloaded/installed the 2018-05 "Cumulative" Update for 1709 as shown in the snapshot below.  I expect I could have downloaded the "Delta" update since its only half the size and I have all previous updates installed, but I just played it safe with the Cumulative update. 

If going this manual update route, be sure to pick the appropriate version depending on what kind of machine you have.

image.png.b4758e43ff0b063fa0a8929477a7294d.png

Why not unpause your updates and just choose how long you want to defer feature updates. It's a drop down box just below and you can defer feature updates for up to 365 days. This way you should get all your normal 1709 updates except feature updates i.e. 1803

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

Why not unpause your updates and just choose how long you want to defer feature updates. It's a drop down box just below and you can defer feature updates for up to 365 days. This way you should get all your normal 1709 updates except feature updates i.e. 1803

Yea....I could have went that way, but didn't because at the time I was deciding how to delay ver 1803 I read some conflicting info regarding the various ways to pause updates using the Pro version.  How each pause method is suppose to work...and how some pause methods have had different results....didn't work as advertised....sometimes results a person didn't want because of how MS actually implemented each pause setting.   The conflicting info just made me decide to use the 35 day pause setting.

But since I have now have 35 day pause option activated since 29 Apr if I turn it off it would automatically go out and check for updates which means it would probably grab the ver 1803 upgrade.  See snapshots below from another thread where  on 29 Apr before 1803 because available to the world I did some testing of the 35 day pause setting to see what it said and did when turning it off and on....how it really worked.  Please red text in the second snapshot where it immediately started checking for updates when I turned it off....just like it said it would.

Now I realize if I set the feature update box to say 45 day delay "before" I turn off the 35 day pause that it "should" keep 1803 at bay.  However, but, I don't know that for sure...by turning off the 35 day delay even with a 45 day delay put in the feature delay box, the 35 day pause setting may take precedence and go grab ver 1803.    

What I plan to do when I decide to install ver 1803 is to do a test by setting a delay of say 45 days in the feature update block "before" turning off the 35 day delay setting.    Then see what happens.  If 1803 starts to download then I will know the 35 day pause took precedence and must complete what it said it must do (go check/grab updates) before any other delay setting like the feature delay box can take control.

I fully expect I will install ver 1803 before May is over...before my 35 pause date is reached.   And as mentioned above, I will get to do some "real-world testing" of the various update pause/delay settings. 

35 Day Pause Turned On

image.png.00f5c20c25789e7773bd08f0eb074efe.png

Then 35 Day Pause Turned Off

image.png.16e0155d0a2664d174f5df3b0786772c.png

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Yea....I could have went that way, but didn't because at the time I was deciding how to delay ver 1803 I read some conflicting info regarding the various ways to pause updates using the Pro version.  How each pause method is suppose to work...and how some pause methods have had different results....didn't work as advertised....sometimes results a person didn't want because of how MS actually implemented each pause setting.   The conflicting info just made me decide to use the 35 day pause setting.

But since I have now have 35 day pause option activated since 29 Apr if I turn it off it would automatically go out and check for updates which means it would probably grab the ver 1803 upgrade.  See snapshots below from another thread where  on 29 Apr before 1803 because available to the world I did some testing of the 35 day pause setting to see what it said and did when turning it off and on....how it really worked.  Please red text in the second snapshot where it immediately started checking for updates when I turned it off....just like it said it would.

Now I realize if I set the feature update box to say 45 day delay "before" I turn off the 35 day pause that it "should" keep 1803 at bay.  However, but, I don't know that for sure...by turning off the 35 day delay even with a 45 day delay put in the feature delay box, the 35 day pause setting may take precedence and go grab ver 1803.    

What I plan to do when I decide to install ver 1803 is to do a test by setting a delay of say 45 days in the feature update block "before" turning off the 35 day delay setting.    Then see what happens.  If 1803 starts to download then I will know the 35 day pause took precedence and must complete what it said it must do (go check/grab updates) before any other delay setting like the feature delay box can take control.

I fully expect I will install ver 1803 before May is over...before my 35 pause date is reached.   And as mentioned above, I will get to do some "real-world testing" of the various update pause/delay settings. 

35 Day Pause Turned On

image.png.00f5c20c25789e7773bd08f0eb074efe.png

Then 35 Day Pause Turned Off

image.png.16e0155d0a2664d174f5df3b0786772c.png

What about the setting where you're notified of updates and choose to download them?... or download them and choose when to install them? You can set these options in Group Policy Editor.

I just, since my last post, tried to install yesterday's cumulative update for 1803 on one of my computers. OS Build 17134.1 to OS Build 17134.48.

This machine is now unbootable and I cannot repair the boot using the Windows boot repair option. Even Macrium's boot repair doesn't work. Now I'm restoring it back to 1709 using a Macrium image.

9 hours ago, tropo said:

What about the setting where you're notified of updates and choose to download them?... or download them and choose when to install them? You can set these options in Group Policy Editor.

I just, since my last post, tried to install yesterday's cumulative update for 1803 on one of my computers. OS Build 17134.1 to OS Build 17134.48.

This machine is now unbootable and I cannot repair the boot using the Windows boot repair option. Even Macrium's boot repair doesn't work. Now I'm restoring it back to 1709 using a Macrium image.

I don't mess around with the Group Policy Editor...too scary for me.

Sorry to hear about the 1803 update problem...goes to show how the install of 1803 can work fine but then it first update turns your computer into a lump of coal.  In a sadistic way your problem makes me feel better that I'm delaying upgrade to 1803.   

Sincerely hope the Macrium image restore works for you, which it sure.  My Macrium image restores have always worked.  Macrium image backups/restores sure have saved my butt a couple of times over the years....hopefully it will save yours so you can pause the 1803 install until it matures a little more since it doesn't not appear the 1803 update agrees with your computer.

• Thanks 1

One problem I have with windows 10 , is that it keeps coming up with can't find site , search on Bing! Click again and it finds the site again. This advert from Windows is very irritating, how can we stop them from doing this? 

When I shut my computers down last night I got the message that I would get a download and then shut down.

When I booted them this morning and they came back up it was still on 1709 and just an odd update.

Maybe tonight I will set 2 of them to download 1803.

3 hours ago, phetpeter said:

One problem I have with windows 10 , is that it keeps coming up with can't find site , search on Bing! Click again and it finds the site again. This advert from Windows is very irritating, how can we stop them from doing this? 

Change your default search engine to Google.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 12:14 PM, somtamjames said:

Here's what's new in 1803:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/whats-new-windows-10-version-1803

Here's the manual download link, just click update now:

It can take up to two hours. First it downloads it, then installs it while you can still use your machine. But the set up is like a new Windows installation. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Successfully installed v1803 on my laptop yesterday (with no apparent resultant problems), after it had been flagged up with a couple of other updates. However the whole process took nearly 5 hours with the various downloads, installations and restarts!

1 minute ago, OJAS said:

Successfully installed v1803 on my laptop yesterday (with no apparent resultant problems), after it had been flagged up with a couple of other updates. However the whole process took nearly 5 hours with the various downloads, installations and restarts!

Slow laptop. Or internet.

Edited by wgdanson

4 hours ago, Pib said:

I don't mess around with the Group Policy Editor...too scary for me.

Sorry to hear about the 1803 update problem...goes to show how the install of 1803 can work fine but then it first update turns your computer into a lump of coal.  In a sadistic way your problem makes me feel better that I'm delaying upgrade to 1803.   

Sincerely hope the Macrium image restore works for you, which it sure.  My Macrium image restores have always worked.  Macrium image backups/restores sure have saved my butt a couple of times over the years....hopefully it will save yours so you can pause the 1803 install until it matures a little more since it doesn't not appear the 1803 update agrees with your computer.

Unfortunately, I hadn't made a back up Macrium image since December, so I'm going back a fair way but it's working again.

I couldn't reboot or use the Windows RE to restore. Windows boot repair didn't work. I even made a restore point before I updated just in case I had to go back. Windows restore has been totally useless to me over the last couple of years in Windows 10. Every time I've tried to use it I get an error saying "something went wrong - no changes were made"... after I've waited for ages for it to complete. I had enough of that and started using Macrium. The only problem is you have to remember to make regular backups.

I had no problems updating other computers yesterday, but this one is old (2009) and slow and has too much clutter. To be honest, all of my computers are old. How time flies LOL. My newest one is 4 years old now. I don't buy new ones until the old ones are no longer serviceable.

I'm going to save my files, format and clean install with Windows 10 Home Edition. I've been wasting far too much time trying to avoid a clean install.