Psychiatric issues plus too much water can be deadly in summer heat

webfact

Psychiatric issues plus too much water can be deadly in summer heat

By The Nation

9381d4e3842cfb155adc05b4f7abb98b.jpeg

Health officials have warned people taking medication for psychiatric problems, particularly schizophrenia, to limit their water intake in the summer heat.

The thirst resulting as a side effect of commonly prescribed medications could prompt them to drink too much water and leave them at risk of contracting potentially deadly hyponatremia.

There are 2.6 million people in Thailand known to be taking medication for psychiatric issues, 60 per cent of them for schizophrenia.

Health Department director general Dr Boonreung Traireungworarat on Monday advised these people to limit their daily water intake to 1,500 to 3,000cc, depending on the weather.

He said drinking more than 3,000cc a day over several consecutive days could lead to “water intoxication” – hyponatremia.

The water dilutes sodium in the blood, causing an imbalance that could trigger nausea and vomiting, headaches, confusion, fatigue, restlessness and irritability, muscle weakness or cramps, seizures and even coma.

Boonreung urged anyone displaying such symptoms to immediately see a doctor.

Dr Noppadol Vanichrudee, acting director of the Bangkok-based Somdet Chaopraya Institute of Psychiatry, said people need 0.033 litres of water daily for every kilogram of body weight. Someone weighing 60kg should be drinking 1,980cc of water a day, about two litres.

He said the institute treated three or four psychiatric patients a month for water intoxication.

People at risk might carry a glass or bottle of water around with them, spend a long time on the toilet and shun food in favour of liquids, he said.

He advised family members or caretakers to see that their charges drink less water (possibly using a daily diary and a reward system), sip rather than guzzle water, and curb their thirst instead with small ice cubes or sugar-free chewing gum.

The Mental Health Department hotline, 1323, provides free guidance around the clock.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30345343

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-14

Drugs like Risperidone can raise or lower body temperature.

I take such drugs and cannot get overheated or cold. During the middle of the hottest part of the day, I need a cool room. No motorcycle riding in the heat. The heat could kill me.

My pdoc weighs me and gave me a guide this month for the first time how much water I should be drinking a day. I was told no more or no less the 8-9 glasses a day.

If I did heavy exercise, no more then 10-12. My wife drinks 4 liters a day... lol... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, totally thaied up said:

Drugs like Risperidone can raise or lower body temperature.

I take such drugs and cannot get overheated or cold. During the middle of the hottest part of the day, I need a cool room. No motorcycle riding in the heat. The heat could kill me.

My pdoc weighs me and gave me a guide this month for the first time how much water I should be drinking a day. I was told no more or no less the 8-9 glasses a day.

If I did heavy exercise, no more then 10-12. My wife drinks 4 liters a day... lol... 

I drink 4 to 5 litres. Depends how much exercise and heat of the day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

I know that distilled water and reverse osmosis produced water is not good for you as it pulls salts etc out of your system if you drink a lot of it.

You would have to be drinking an awful lot for this to happen, if you are, just put a little Himalaya or similar salt in your water, folks have a salt fear due to all the nonsense they read, without it we are quickly dead! & remember there is a difference in salt and "processed" salt, why anyone would want to consume anything processed is beyond me!

• Like 1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1770067/

Water intoxication can occur in a variety of different clinical settings but is generally not well recognised in the medical literature. The condition may go unrecognised in the early stages when the patient may have symptoms of confusion, disorientation, nausea, and vomiting, but also changes in mental state and psychotic symptoms. Early detection is crucial to prevent severe hyponatraemia, which can lead to seizures, coma, and death.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CGW said:

You would have to be drinking an awful lot for this to happen, if you are, just put a little Himalaya or similar salt in your water, folks have a salt fear due to all the nonsense they read, without it we are quickly dead! & remember there is a difference in salt and "processed" salt, why anyone would want to consume anything processed is beyond me!

Sea salt is the norm' at home. Totally different taste to processed. Much less 'salty' and I reckon has a few good minerals in as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Sea salt is the norm' at home. Totally different taste to processed. Much less 'salty' and I reckon has a few good minerals in as well.

Anything is better than the iodized processed crap! Himalayan salt is our preference as I like the taste, it is claimed it contains 84 vital minerals, so it doesn't take much to replace what you are flushing out, its too cheap for any of the big companies to push, they prefer to sell isotonic drinks and the like when all you need is a little salt!

18 minutes ago, CGW said:

Anything is better than the iodized processed crap! Himalayan salt is our preference as I like the taste, it is claimed it contains 84 vital minerals, so it doesn't take much to replace what you are flushing out, its too cheap for any of the big companies to push, they prefer to sell isotonic drinks and the like when all you need is a little salt!

Just about finished some Black Sea sea salt that was given to me. Totally black and from what I gather it's got Iodine, Iron and various other 'good for you' things in it.

Tastes good as well.

Edit.

Dead Sea Salt. 

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

Depending on your health drinking too much fluid is a danger. I have heart problems for 25 years. It was to pint if we laid flat when sleeping problems breathing. 

Went to Dr. and told my heart condition is not strong enough to disperse fluid and was put on one 600 ml a day for a month along with

medications. Know I drink more but not to much and no problems. 

I drank a lot of beer prior so to solve excess fluid I’ve gone to two short whiskeys a night on the rocks. No issues. 

On 5/14/2018 at 1:09 PM, hashmodha said:

First time in my life I read this!Is it really that water dilutes salt or sodium????

My situations so so hot and loosing salt through sweat,making Lassy [Plain Yolanda yoghurt, crush fresh mint, coriander,and good amount of salt, little ice and add water,a little black pepper.  In the blender make a litre....... enjoy. . A dash of lime too if one wishes!!!

But this directive !!????Hmmmmm I am not going to go into it!    Sure I drink over 2 LTRs of fluids..... Folks enjoy the Indian Lassy...... believe me it is truly refreshing and your pee pee will be flowing like a fire engine hose!!if you can find ground cumin and coriander then we are talking .... 

The funny thing is I never see this lot drink water.....,Boooze yeah.....beer.... gallons of it.... whiskey.. ..  by the bottles.  Leow cow.....yeah......sang som......by crate loads.....But Water.??...who wants to drink plain old water??

Nice if you can add real rose water too

19 hours ago, overherebc said:

Just about finished some Black Sea sea salt that was given to me. Totally black and from what I gather it's got Iodine, Iron and various other 'good for you' things in it.

Tastes good as well.

Edit.

Dead Sea Salt. 

Black salt i.e. mountain salt or rock salt is better still.   Not expensive and be put on food and in drinks.

Have a bottle of water with salt ready dissolved next to the plain water, drink from each.

Back in the 1960's traveling in desert areas of Australia, before there were roads one was always advised to drink water and take salt tablets, once an hour if in real hot regions.

At that time you had to report at each petrol station, so that if you did get lost and not reach your destination searchers would have some idea where to look.    The petrol stations offered both water and salt tablets.

2 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Black salt i.e. mountain salt or rock salt is better still.   Not expensive and be put on food and in drinks.

Have a bottle of water with salt ready dissolved next to the plain water, drink from each.

Dead sea salt is black. Maybe not clear in my post. ?

On 5/14/2018 at 7:30 PM, atyclb said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1770067/

Water intoxication can occur in a variety of different clinical settings but is generally not well recognised in the medical literature. The condition may go unrecognised in the early stages when the patient may have symptoms of confusion, disorientation, nausea, and vomiting, but also changes in mental state and psychotic symptoms. Early detection is crucial to prevent severe hyponatraemia,  or teatmentwhich can lead to seizures, coma, and death.

And when have you seen this......spare  the the wiki BS .

Oh look ......he's got hyponatraemia...haha...ni this climate the most common syndrome you will see.and have to act on is heat stroke...if you care.  Most people don't know the symptoms or treatment. Older people in particular can suffer from this.

Think of a few old blokes sitting around the pool at the condo.....a couple of beers........ 

• Like 1