Court decides: AirBnB illegal in Thailand for daily and weekly rental

webfact

Really funny! I would like to see what they bese that judgement on. Since when is Thai law as specific so it separates days, weeks and month.
The law has not even uppdated since Internet was invented. How much more crazy does it have to be? Can they make a bigger fool out of themselfs?

Edited by Get Real

3 hours ago, SS1 said:

These headlines are always so misleading, and tiring to see such as "AirBnB is illegal" , "UBER is illegal" - no, they are not illegal, just platforms used to provide certain services. What is illegal is the actual illegal activities done using these platforms, such as breaking the Hotel Act or driving a taxi without appropriate licences. 

Is anyone stopping a residence with the appropriate hotel licences using AirBnB as a platform to find customers? Is UBER illegal if the driver has the appropriate taxi licences? The answers is most likely NO in all cases. 

I totally understand the hassles caused by AirBnB in condominiums though, with tourists going to reception asking for towels to the pool and where is the best elephant trip.. 

Fault lies with the condo owner who signed a contract with Airbnb that their unit was in lawful local compliance as a daily/weekly rental. Airbnb has no way to know otherwise. I can signup and offer Buckingham Palace for rent as long as I check all the boxes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MaxLee said:

First UBER and now AirBnB...... 

Suspect that there'll be an all Thai, government run service called ThaiBnB, that is the same, but has commission's going straight to the government. 

Edited by Happy Grumpy
  • Like 1

Fault lies with the condo owner who signed a contract with Airbnb that their unit was in lawful local compliance as a daily/weekly rental. Airbnb has no way to know otherwise.

Airbnb (or any other hotel booking agency) could easily ask to see a copy of the hotel registration of anyone wanting to rent out places for less than one month, but they choose not to. That is not a valid defence as far as I can see.

Would you say that it is also not Uber or Grab's job to verify that their drivers have proper insurance? I wouldn't.

• Like 2