Draft plan to allow foreigners to work in 11 ‘reserved’ occupations

webfact

My ambition has always been to be a supermarket 'greeter'. "Hello and welcome to Tesco Lotus!". I can say that with a genuine smile and also if pushed my skills extend to being able to put garlands around visitors necks. Although, in Tesco wire coat hangers may be more apt I am ready to go and just dream of the day when this job will no longer be 'protected'. Roll on the happiness!!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

My ambition has always been to be a supermarket 'greeter'. "Hello and welcome to Tesco Lotus!". I can say that with a genuine smile and also if pushed my skills extend to being able to put garlands around visitors necks. Although, in Tesco wire coat hangers may be more apt I am ready to go and just dream of the day when this job will no longer be 'protected'. Roll on the happiness!!

I want to be a seller at traffic lights when the car stops. Look how fit you could become

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Why not be fair and just by allowing foreigners to own one plot of land on which they would like to live their retirement ?

Since when has a Thai government ever been fair where foreigners are concerned?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScammedInThailand said:

You have more chance of getting a whale up your arse than this happening. Thais are the most endemically racist nation on the planet and prohibiting foreign land ownership is sacrosanct to their overtly racist practices

Are you living in Thailand? If so, please go back to wherever you came from.

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

40 some years ago, a fellow Peace Corps volunteer in Loei was a civil engineer.  His folks were Japanese, but he was a natural-born US citizen (OK, California).  Tall guy, smart as hell, Vietnam combat Vet, black belt in Judo.  He was an excellent engineer and did the calcs and engineering for at least 3 "small"-scale dams in Loei.  He was wise enough in Asian ways to help get funds allocated (BKK guy from the ministry had the hots for a local girl...).  He could play the superior Japanese engineer role to the Nth degree back then, in a laid-back Thai way.  He also did some of the honest job site inspections, so was always looking over his shoulder.  I learned a lot from him about the politics, and how to roll with the punches.  Thailand needs engineers like him.

So if I understand correctly, you believe getting a black belt and looking over your shoulder is the best way to succeed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Why not be fair and just by allowing foreigners to own one plot of land on which they would like to live their retirement ?

I agree. 

Second hand houses are really difficult to sell. 

That would be a market suitable to give foreigner say 50 darang wah. 

The Thais aren't interested in 2nd hand housing. The houses sit empty for decades. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

When it comes to grab the farang's money perhaps ?

I am sure none of us minds contributing to the Thai economy, and I don't blame them for not allowing foreigners to buy up houses and land (which Thais can do in other countries) But we should be allowed to buy a small family type house and a small amount of land suitable for that house in our own name, then there's being treated like a common criminal with this 90 day reporting.

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am sure none of us minds contributing to the Thai economy, and I don't blame them for not allowing foreigners to buy up houses and land (which Thais can do in other countries) But we should be allowed to buy a small family type house and a small amount of land suitable for that house in our own name, then there's being treated like a common criminal with this 90 day reporting.

Yes and even more worrying if they open the doors to full time law enforcement and hire all the farang police wanabees, currently serving as Tourist Police volonteers. Some would be perhaps even worse the local Thais in brown !!  But hopefully crops and farming are protected and so is the reaping of tea money !!

Edited by observer90210
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HuaHinHim said:

While not related to the story but related to your comment, a friend of mine was looking at purchasing land in Turkey recently and was told that they only allow foreigners to own land if they themselves are allowed to own land in the foreigners country. I think this is a good idea

That's brilliant. US should take notice of this. I don't know about you guys but I'm sick of being a chump.

• Like 2

'The Council of Engineers has criticised the plan. The civil-engineer occupation should remain reserved for Thais because it involves people’s safety, they said.' With tongue firmly in cheek.?

• Like 1

They must be so so afraid of migrant workers actually  doing a decent not half  baked job and  all the Thais being made redundant. Set the bar low then drop it to the floor.

8 hours ago, imjmn said:

Allowing foreigners to work in those positions 'reserved' for Thai citizens would bring more knowledge and different practices into the Thai industry and make them more competitive on the world stage. MHO.

MJ

Not needed, Thailand is already the hub of all knowledge ….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaiChai said:

Protectionist policies otherwise all those clever foreigners will take Thai jobs. Surely being part ASEAN they have to allow other ASEAN persons to work freely?

No No No - ASEAN is for Thai's to work where they want - not the other way round -- you forget did you , Thailand is different.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, billmichael said:

Is this true or are you speaking in jest?  I am an American who would like to retire in Thailand and had thought about a small plot of land somewhere.  Has something changed since I had heard farangs cannot own land in Thailand.  I have my own money so I am not looking to live off of the government.

live off what government?  --  if talking about the Thai government - think you need to do a lot more research on Thailand before buying your plane ticket.

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Artisi said:

live off what government?  --  if talking about the Thai government - think you need to do a lot more research on Thailand before buying your plane ticket.

I would never, ever, advise anyone to come to Thailand in the present situation (military junta). I myself would not come here if I were a free agent living in Europe. But some of us are in a sense trapped here (in a good sense - partially!) by family/ love ties, financial constraints, etc.

If the poster who was thinking of retiring in Thailand does not yet know much about the nature of Thai society and most of all the current military junta - I would advise him to do (as Artisi says) a lot more research before deciding to settle down here. A good starting point are the experiences and viewpoints of the long-term ex-pats who share their wisdom on these Thaivisa threads; and I am not being facetious: you can learn things here that you would never learn in some Lonely Planet (or similar) guide to Thailand ...

While there a number of things and aspects about Thailand and the Thais which are very attractive, some interesting observations on Thai culture in general from a certain Mark Jones might give food for thought. In his book on Thailand, he writes:

'After twenty years in Thailand I’ve come to the overwhelming conclusion I have virtually nothing in common with the locals … There seems to be a disconnect between the average Westerner and Thais when it comes to basic honesty … In the past when a local told me ‘you don’t understand Thai culture,’ I’d take offence and go into a detailed explanation. Lately, I’ve changed my tune: I’m happy that I don’t [understand Thai culture]!'. (The LOS Diaries, Vol. 3, by Mark Jones).

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I would never, ever, advise anyone to come to Thailand in the present situation (military junta). I myself would not come here if I were a free agent living in Europe. But some of us are in a sense trapped here (in a good sense - partially!) by family/ love ties, financial constraints, etc.

If the poster who was thinking of retiring in Thailand does not yet know much about the nature of Thai society and most of all the current military junta - I would advise him to do (as Artisi says) a lot more research before deciding to settle down here. A good starting point are the experiences and viewpoints of the long-term ex-pats who share their wisdom on these Thaivisa threads; and I am not being facetious: you can learn things here that you would never learn in some Lonely Planet (or similar) guide to Thailand ...

I respect your views but the military junta has absolutely no impact on the living of foreigners here. There is no change here if there is a lying Shin or a bullying junta in power. Thing for us almost never change visa's never get easier maybe a little stricter but not by much. Other things besides the government influence our lives here far more. 

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

I respect your views but the military junta has absolutely no impact on the living of foreigners here. There is no change here if there is a lying Shin or a bullying junta in power. Thing for us almost never change visa's never get easier maybe a little stricter but not by much. Other things besides the government influence our lives here far more. 

I know what you mean, Rob - but for some of us (and I won't be specific) the military junta has had a direct impact on our professional work here - and it isn't for the better ...

• Thanks 2

I wonder how they define safety? Just look at any construction site and you will see actions and practices that would make a dead HSE man turn in his grave. Until they understand the concept of "Safety" then they shouldnt use the word

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'Foreign' does not necessarily mean 'farang' all the time......especially in 2018 Thighland.

It's all about the Chinese now folks.

In Cambodia Chinese building companies are totally in charge of building tens of thousands of condo units .......

I suppose they use the locals as labourers but everything else is done by the Chinese.

Maybe that's what the protected thai engineers are concerned about. Maybe not. Just a thought.

I for one am going to have to turn these people down! I did not drag my American butt over here to indulge in manual labor! been there done that! anything that has the four letter word in it does not apply to me. I get up when I want, go where I want, eat what I want and just generally enjoy my life! don't need any pin head offer me anything to do with work! they can keep there offer!

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

But some of us are in a sense trapped here (in a good sense - partially!) by family/ love ties, financial constraints, etc.

Hardly trapped, all of the reasons you mention are of your own doing.