Are soi dogs being given rabies shots?

bert bloggs

Some areas yes.  Most areas no from what I have seen.  Also many dogs in my area are 'street dogs' but people feed them and some have particular shops, houses or other places they hang out, and the people in these places seem to have taken some of the dogs to get the anti rabies injections because they have now also got collars on and the blue metal disk thing.

However, in the next village it seems no one has bothered to do this.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

and the people in these places seem to have taken some of the dogs to get the anti rabies injections because they have now also got collars on and the blue metal disk thing.

Interesting

A woman across the road in my Moo Baan took 9 dogs to the local vet & they aren't wearing the above 

I know this is not BS as she would be able to do the whole town

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Interesting

A woman across the road in my Moo Baan took 9 dogs to the local vet & they aren't wearing the above 

I know this is not BS as she would be able to do the whole town

Same here i took my dog last year already for his yearly rabies and other vaccination I did not get a tag like that (did see them in the past). But he has no real collar to attach it to anyway. Plus he does not roam free so not a real problem.

7 minutes ago, johng said:

but woe betide anyone who does anything to get the mutts removed or defends themself..the dog has more rights than the human...!!!!!!!!!  ?

Don't tell them that where I am

I seen one person come back with a steel tube & many others walking with sticks / ect

But now those dogs are gone & as I guessed it only opened up the territory for others in the Moo Baan

2 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

it only opened up the territory for others in the Moo Baan 

Yes it needs constant attention ...not a one off attempt  then forget about it  until there are roving packs of wild beast terrorising  inner city neighbourhoods again.

• Like 2

What are so called Soi dogs that hang about in villages , but with no precise owner , are not really the dogs to worry about .

I believe the dogs in greatest danger of contracting Rabies are the thousands of emaciated dogs that roam the countryside in search of food .

It is regrettable that most Thais know little or nothing about the care of animals , whether dogs , cats or cows . Veterinary services are not widely available and people don't see a need to vaccinate their animals .

The Soi Dog foundation here in Phuket does vaccinate the dogs against rabies - and something else - sorry don't know what.

They also 'round up'  un- neutered dogs - both male and female to sterilise them - all free of charge, even if they are 'owned'.

Trouble is, a family gets a puppy and as it grows they get fed up with it and then abandon it.  Sadly this is not just peculiar to Thailand - it happens in my own country also.

About a month or so ago my tessaban upcountry went around and vaccinated all the stray cats and dogs they could find.

Collars made from light chain and tags were fitted to the vaccinated animals.

6 hours ago, csabo said:

The only shots these dogs get should come out of a gun. 

6 hours ago, csabo said:

The only shots these dogs get should come out of a gun. 

Why, there is a market for them in Vietnam? Use the proceeds for healthcare of kids and the elderly.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 4:10 PM, Nurseynutcase said:

The Soi Dog foundation here in Phuket does vaccinate the dogs against rabies - and something else - sorry don't know what.

They also 'round up'  un- neutered dogs - both male and female to sterilise them - all free of charge, even if they are 'owned'.

Trouble is, a family gets a puppy and as it grows they get fed up with it and then abandon it.  Sadly this is not just peculiar to Thailand - it happens in my own country also.

Yeah, thats the problem with puppies, they grow up to be Dog's, neuter the puppies, in 10 years, there will be no soi dog's, only pets.

20 hours ago, pegman said:

Why, there is a market for them in Vietnam? Use the proceeds for healthcare of kids and the elderly.

Thats a big misconception, Vietnamese will not eat 'just any dog'  most are bred  for consumption for special occasions, funerals, weddings, family re-unions etc etc  -  of course there are exceptions to every rule, ultra poor people will resort to eating anything that walks, crawls, slithers, fly's or swims.  China on the other hand, they will eat anything as well.

2 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Thats a big misconception, Vietnamese will not eat 'just any dog'  most are bred  for consumption for special occasions, funerals, weddings, family re-unions etc etc  -  of course there are exceptions to every rule, ultra poor people will resort to eating anything that walks, crawls, slithers, fly's or swims.  China on the other hand, they will eat anything as well.

I saw many dog and cat resturants in the suburbs of Siagon. None in District 1 where lots of foreigners stay. This is what Wiki says about dog meat in Vietnam:

"Around five million dogs are slaughtered in Vietnam every year, making the country the second biggest consumer of dog meat in the world after China, which consumes roughly 20 million.[145] The consumption has been criticized by many in Vietnam and around the world as most of the dogs are pets stolen and killed in brutal ways. Vietnam does not have strong regulations to stop the practice. Dog thieves are rarely punished, and nor are the people who buy and sell stolen meat. Dog meat is particularly popular in the urban areas of the north, and can be found in special restaurants which specifically serve dog meat.[47][146]"

9 hours ago, pegman said:

I saw many dog and cat resturants in the suburbs of Siagon. None in District 1 where lots of foreigners stay. This is what Wiki says about dog meat in Vietnam:

"Around five million dogs are slaughtered in Vietnam every year, making the country the second biggest consumer of dog meat in the world after China, which consumes roughly 20 million.[145] The consumption has been criticized by many in Vietnam and around the world as most of the dogs are pets stolen and killed in brutal ways. Vietnam does not have strong regulations to stop the practice. Dog thieves are rarely punished, and nor are the people who buy and sell stolen meat. Dog meat is particularly popular in the urban areas of the north, and can be found in special restaurants which specifically serve dog meat.[47][146]"

Been visiting/investing here since 2000, I must travel in very different circles than the "Wiki world class personnel"........(I don't believe half what they print).........I live on the Mekong River down in the Delta, and I also have an Apartment in District 3, never have I seen a dog & cat resturaunt........at least one that is advertised openly.  My Viet lady tells me its all underground...as for stealing pets, yes, I have had four or five dogs in twenty years disappear........hence my quote above - they are bred for eating.  My dogs were all well   fed with lots of muscle so some poor person probably killed and ate them.  Don't believe everything you read , dog meat is expensive here.  It is not against any laws in Vietnam to eat dog, or any other animal as long as its obtained legally.   FYI  just last month, they confiscated over 1200 dogs from a boat not 300 meters from my house, all were brought in from Thailand according to local newspapers  -  wonder where  they got them ???  Rabies culling??

Fine anyone feeding a dog that is not their own and or without a dog collar and anyone with a dog fine them if their dog is with them in public place without rabies documentation . Also any dogs running loose catch them and take them away PERMANENTLY .... sorry it may sound cruel but letting this continue is the cruel reason the problem is not solved at its root possibly .

• Like 2

On 6/5/2018 at 2:59 PM, pegman said:

Because market generates demand. That's why we don't sell elephant ivory and rhino horns. It generates a greater bad. Wiki quote from above "The consumption has been criticized by many in Vietnam and around the world as most of the dogs are pets stolen and killed in brutal ways

Edited by csabo