Can you get the Ed visa for studying other than the Thai language?

10 minutes ago, TechnikaIII said:

The people who make these rules are, let's face it, not very intelligent.

I am seeking to do postgrad studies in other cultural issues, but having second thoughts ( and third, and even fourth thoughts ) 

... because I refuse to be judged by the ignorant. 

The officer who assesses me needs to be educated in something other than just taking bribes.

If you would be taking a post graduate course at a major Thai university, I do not think ignorant immigration officials will be getting in your way. Where they are supposed to use their judgment is with people who, not infrequently, are pretending to participate in a cheap language course purely to solve visa issues. It would be assumed that you are genuinely studying, and up to the university to act if you are not meeting the requirements of your course.

That said, dealing with Thai officials can admittedly sometimes be extremely aggravating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RHerberth said:

For how many years you can study chinese, russian etc?

At a language school about 1 and a half years for each language unless you can find a school offering advanced studies which would allow another year.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TechnikaIII said:

.. because I refuse to be judged by the ignorant. 

And yet you judge people you've never met based solely on prejudice and ignorance.

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

I am seeking to do postgrad studies in other cultural issues

"Other cultural issues" sounds suitably vague. Other than what?

You may be confusing being educated with having a bloated ego and also  mistakenly identifying intellectual constipation as a sign of intelligence.

• Confused 1

On 6/12/2018 at 10:51 PM, seancbk said:

You can get an Ed visa to study Web design in Bangkok and then become a Digital Nomad.  As long as you are not working and paid by a Thai company you won't need a work permit.

I don't work for any Thia company and most likely not in the near future. However, do you have similar courses in the Chiang Mai as well?

Basically you can get an ED visa for any type of school, as long as it is approved by the Thai Ministry of Education.  

Unfortunately, I’ve been unable to find a published list of schools through Google searches of the Ministry’s website, but the list would not be limited to Thai language schools, or even academically oriented schools in general.

Note:  A new regulation was implemented recently that you must be under the age of 55 to be granted an ED visa for academic studies.

One popular way to get an ED visa with minimal fuss in Chiang Mai if your main goal is simply to stay here for a year, and you don’t really want to invest time in academic study is to enroll in a self-defense course that is approved by the Thai ministry of education.  To my understanding there is only one such school here in Chiang Mai (https://hand2handcombat.com/).  There might be others in Bangkok.  

I guess its it’s sort of a loophole but the owner is a high ranking Thai ex-police officer  so I guess he has the connections that make this possible.

It is legitimate and they have a good reputation with many expats attending, they handle the visa process for you, and the requirement is to only attend twice a week (weekends).  You actually do learn Krav Mega so this is a good self defense course and it’s suitable for all, irregardless of your physical condition or age.

I considered it but decided to go the route of a Non-O visa instead.  Just an option worth considering though.

Edited by Kohsamida
  • Like 1

Basically you can get an ED visa for any type of school, as long as it is approved by the Thai Ministry of Education.  

Unfortunately, I’ve been unable to find a published list of schools through Google searches of the Ministry’s website, but the list would not be limited to Thai language schools, or even academically oriented schools in general.

Note:  A new regulation was implemented recently that you must be under the age of 55 to be granted an ED visa for academic studies.

One popular way to get an ED visa with minimal fuss in Chiang Mai if your main goal is simply to stay here for a year, and you don’t really want to invest time in academic study is to enroll in a self-defense course that is approved by the Thai ministry of education.  To my understanding there is only one such school here in Chiang Mai (https://hand2handcombat.com/).  There might be others in Bangkok.  

I guess its it’s sort of a loophole but the owner is a high ranking Thai ex-police officer  so I guess he has the connections that make this possible.

It is legitimate and they have a good reputation with many expats attending, they handle the visa process for you, and the requirement is to only attend twice a week (weekends).  You actually do learn Krav Mega so this is a good self defense course and it’s suitable for all, irregardless of your physical condition or age.

I considered it but decided to go the route of a Non-O visa instead.  Just an option worth considering though.
Not a bad deal 33000THB a visa for a year and self defense lessons.

I spend about 3000THB a month sorting my visa out so its good value.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, juice777 said:

Not a bad deal 33000THB a visa for a year and self defense lessons.

I spend about 3000THB a month sorting my visa out so its good value.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I agree. I still haven’t really ruled it out.  I’m over 55 so I decided to pursue a retirement visa but all the requirement for it and procedures are a huge hassle, and I’m wondering if this ed visa might be a better choice.  Not only is it a good way to stay here for a year, but I’ve been told you can renew it for up to three years.

Not only that but Krav Mega is a pretty serious form of self defense that anyone can learn and employ, and the man who runs this school is very good at it.  

Edited by Kohsamida

On 6/13/2018 at 2:18 AM, Suradit69 said:

And yet you judge people you've never met based solely on prejudice and ignorance.

"Other cultural issues" sounds suitably vague. Other than what?

You may be confusing being educated with having a bloated ego and also  mistakenly identifying intellectual constipation as a sign of intelligence.

Not confused at all, thank you. In fact, I am now engaged in dialogue with a university. They are very interested and it will be presented to The Ministry of Culture. "Other cultural issues". Yep, and I would never expand on that in the presence of the likes of you, .. for reasons that will be obvious to others.