Charging Thai Citizens to cross into Cambodia

camcam3

My Thai wife and myself just went into Cambodia for two days.  No problems with my Visa on Arrival but my Thai wife was charged 100 Baht (with no receipt) both entering and departing Cambodia.  A little later while waiting to re-enter Thailand a man in the cue from the Philippines told me he was also charged 100 Baht... Is this normal or are they just "paying for Tea" for the customs officers...Thanks

My Thai wife and myself just went into Cambodia for two days.  No problems with my Visa on Arrival but my Thai wife was charged 100 Baht (with no receipt) both entering and departing Cambodia.  A little later while waiting to re-enter Thailand a man in the cue from the Philippines told me he was also charged 100 Baht... Is this normal or are they just "paying for Tea" for the customs officers...Thanks

Don’t know for sure but probably. I know my then local crossing charged farangs 300b to exit Cambodia into Thailand if it was within 24 hours of you entering (border bounce, for instance)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Don’t know for sure but probably. I know my then local crossing charged farangs 300b to exit Cambodia into Thailand if it was within 24 hours of you entering (border bounce, for instance)

The last time I did a border hop, upon exit they handed me my passport and asked for departure money. I just laughed said no and walked away. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The last time I did a border hop, upon exit they handed me my passport and asked for departure money. I just laughed said no and walked away. 

Admittedly it was a few years ago, but they asked for the money before returning your passport when I tried to exit (@ Chon Chom).

Chong Chom sting the Thai 100 baht even with Thai passport and going to SR. If doing a U turn with Thai PP they will charge the Thai 300 baht same rip off they charge a farang .. CSN no rip off charge for either. If you do not won't to be scamed use the CSN crossing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Happened in Osmach / Chong Chom border BUT not Chon Nam sang / Sisaket. So Tea Money

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bushmill said:

Happened in Osmach / Chong Chom border BUT not Chon Nam sang / Sisaket. So Tea Money

No so much tea money. It's a payment to circumnavigate the rules. Cambodian immigration are perfectly able to make you stay 24 hours. What would you rather do, pay 300 baht or hang around over night? That said, it does seem to be enforced at some borders and not others. 

If I need a border crossing then Chong Chom is nearest so I take the 300 baht on the chin. Travelling to another border would cost me more than triple that in both fuel and time. 

Edited by puchooay

17 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Is it really worth bothering about?

Not if you like extortion.  I doubt most people would accept paying a surcharge on a retail purchase.  But if you have plenty of money, do what you want. Those Cambodian crooks at Chom Chom have never got extra from me and never will, now that I have a marriage extension.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Is it really worth bothering about?

If Lotus,  Big C etc charged a few hundred  baht extra for the hell of it,  is that worth bothering about.  It's the principle that counts,  not the amount.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baansgr said:

If Lotus,  Big C etc charged a few hundred  baht extra for the hell of it,  is that worth bothering about.  It's the principle that counts,  not the amount.

They are not charging it for the hell of it. It does not have to be paid. There is a choice. The alternative is to stay 24 hours in Cambodia.