Team Walks Off

dave111223

Because the evil farang currency speculators have strengthened the baht, the Singaporean's are making big profits on their ill gotten Thai assets(from Thaksin).

They used some of these funds to bribe the Malaysian referee into giving favourable decisions to Singapore.

If it wasn't for the evil farangs pushing up the baht none of this would've happened.

###### those farangs.

Just showed a total disdain for the rules of football. Our hosts don't have much time for any rules, as we all know. Road rules for example. What the f*** are they?

The guy who pushed the ref should have given a red on the spot. The Thais should have been given no more than a couple of minutes to get back on the field. Failing that the game should have been terminated and the championship awarded to Singapore. No return match in Bangkok!! In addition Thailand should be banned from international competition for a number of years. I was just looking at the Thai Rath newspaper and all they seem to be going on about was that they were cheated.

I hope the singapore mob can get away with at least a draw on Sunday. The crowd scenes will be ugly whatever the result, no doubt about it.

What a disgrace they are.

I have to agree with this posting.Other than the banning from Int. footy for years...ok then,maybe one.

I was enjoying the game up to this point,,,after that point there was no point....so I went to bed!

The ref really was a donkey though , and there were a fair number of fouls that went unpenalised , which came to a head with the dodgey penalty.

Ultimately, the loser of this game was the sport of football.

Lets hope for fair play and a good ref on Sunday.

Edited by soihok

The guy who pushed the ref should have given a red on the spot. The Thais should have been given no more than a couple of minutes to get back on the field. Failing that the game should have been terminated and the championship awarded to Singapore. No return match in Bangkok!! In addition Thailand should be banned from international competition for a number of years.

give 'em the rope , bring on the firing squad , burn 'em at the stake , castrations too good for the likes of this rabble , impale them on spikes and pelt them with tomatoes.

in public.

Thai footballers face Sunday match ban

(Agencies)

Thai players and officials face suspension from Sunday's second and final leg of the Asean championship series following the team's dramatic first-leg walkout against rivals Singapore, the Asean Football Federation said on Thursday.

Thais walking off the field or out of a room is such a common means of protest in Thailand. Happens all the time in business meetings, teachers' meetings, government, sports. It just seemed extra bad to y'all because it was televised and displayed on international media.

At least it's better than the Taiwanese way of protesting (free-for-all fist fights in parliament), or Canadian-American hockey games! :o

Thai workers protest in Singapore against the football match

Thai workers in Singapore staged protest Thursday following a controversial footballl match between Thailand and Singapore, according to the Labour Ministry.

Thailand lost 2-1 to Singapore in the first leg of the Asean Football Championship on Wednesday mainly due to the controversial penalty kick awarded to Singapore.

The Labour Ministry now expressed concerns about the protest, fearing that things might get out of control.

mmmmmmm.......anyone in singapore at the moment do you fancy a beer at a KTV pub at Golden Mile tonight? Should be more action than usual :o

I was watching the game with my GF. She said it was very embarassing for Thailand for the players to behave like that, so not all Thais think it was the right thing to do.

It was a stupid and shameful act of petulance against what was a very poor referring decision. The person who deserves most blame is the coach - irrespective of his feelings and anger, he should have told the players to go back on. That would have been the 'big' thing to do.

I'll be interested to see what repercussions come of this.

As another poster said, every player who walked off without the ref's permission should be booked. If they don't come back after a few minutes, then they should be red carded. That would have meant forfeiting the match.

The whole thing was badly handled - by the players, the coach and the referee.

Very poor.

AFF bans 2nd leg match between Thailand and Singapore following the walk-off

The Asean Football Federation (AFF) issued an announcement yesterday (Feb 1), saying the players and the staff of the Thai national football team will be penalized following the first leg of the Asean championship on January 31st where Thailand lost to Singapore by 1-2.

During the final ten minutes of the notorious match, Thai players walked off the field for 15 minutes to protest a controversial penalty awarded to Singapore.

The AFF has decided to ban the second leg of the Asean championship on this Sunday (Feb 4) at Supachalasai Stadium in Thailand.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 February 2007

AFF: SECOND LEG INTACT AND ON COURSE

KUALA LUMPUR (Feb 1, 2007) - The Asean Football Federation (AFF) are studying the relevant reports of the Match Commissioner and Referees’ Inspector with respect to the first leg of the Asean Football Championship final match between Singapore and Thailand that ended in a 2-1 win for the host at the National Stadium in Singapore yesterday.

According to a spokesman with the federation, action would be taken against anyone guilty of wrongdoing in the first leg based on the reports submitted.

He added the AFF have sought and obtained assurances from the Football Association of Thailand (FAT) that all arrangements with regard to the second leg to be held in Bangkok on 4th February 2007 are intact and on course.

Further, the spokesman said the security officers attached to the AFF and to the Singapore and Thailand teams would be meeting in Bangkok at 9am on February 2 to review all security arrangements with respect to the second leg match.

Source: aseanfootball.org

Edited by ashacat

Thai footballers face Sunday match ban

Thai players and officials face suspension from Sunday's second and final leg of the Asean championship series following the team's dramatic first-leg walkout against rivals Singapore, the Asean Football Federation said on Thursday.

Singapore won a bitterly-fought match 2-1 on Wednesday after the Thai players walked off the field for 15 minutes following a hotly disputed penalty award to Singapore eight minutes from time. Singapore eventually scored the penalty and won 2-1.

More from the Bangkok Post here.

If Sunday's game does go ahead (very questionable at this stage due to security concerns among other things) it's going to have to be a very courageous Singapore team to take the field and run the gauntlet of the Thai fans and officials. I can envision the Thai players getting carried away by the atmosphere and committing some nasty tackles. Imagine a red card to a Thai player. Now that would be interesting. October 6, 1976 all over again.......Singapore's finest hanged from the goalposts and battered beyond recognition. Might cause the baht to depreciate a bit helping exporters.. so not all bad.

Payboy...See "Football Saga Imitates Real Life" in today's Nation. (2nd Feb).

:o thanks ned - i did and found this little gem in that article:-

"A more deserving question may be how the Singaporeans managed to respond so well to our game plan." :D

Edited by Payboy

Got my tickets for Tomorrows 2nd leg today. When i got there at 11:30am the booths were closed and they said all sold out (there were tons of people there).

Thankfully my wife noticed one of her old teachers in the crowd, who had bought like 40 tickets (at 100 baht a piece you can imagine the first in the line were really loading up).

But anyways he sold us 6 tickets at cost! Tomorrow is going to be good, lots of tension, gotta love it.

Anyone else get tickets?