Video: "Pakistanis" stealing from Thai gold shops

webfact

Video: "Pakistanis" stealing from Thai gold shops

2PM.jpg

Pictures (2): Manager Online

CCTV footage from a gold shop in downtown Surat Thani showed two men dressed in tourist t-shirts debating over what to buy.

They had the gift of the gab and the sales lady got confused after they looked at a five baht weight bracelet.

They eventually settled on a small ring worth 5,000 baht.

2PM1.jpg

It was only an hour later that the shop realized they had stolen the more expensive piece worth more than 100,000 baht.

Manager called the men "khaek khaaw" (white Indians) but suggested they came from Pakistan.

They are also believed to have been responsible for stealing a 100,000 baht diamond encrusted wristwatch from a gold shop in Hat Yai earlier.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-21

UPDATE: Some news agencies report that one of the suspects has been arrested. More as we have it

35671723_822897357916443_2640486223600156672_n.jpg

2 hours ago, Thian said:

I see 4 salespeople and 2 customers...ALL the gold is behind glass and still they manage to steal an item??

You obviously have not heard or seen "slight of hand"?? I was in Costa Rica many years ago and had a strap watch taken off of my wrist and I did not realize it until some time after when I went to check the time. 

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, taipan1949 said:

You obviously have not heard or seen "slight of hand"?? I was in Costa Rica many years ago and had a strap watch taken off of my wrist and I did not realize it until some time after when I went to check the time. 

Yes good pickpockets can steal watches/jewelry that way.

But the staff in the goldshop should be more professional. She even handed the 100.000 baht item to him and he still could steal it.

I'm still amazed that there aren't many more goldshop robberies or atm/bank robbers in Thailand since the guards they hire are not trained at all it seems.

Have you ever seen how they fill atm's in a mall? No guns to be seen, not even a guard with them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taipan1949 said:

People from this overall area know more tricks to cheat people than most us us could invent in 5 lifetimes, and they are game to try, plus they are masters at causing confusion to get several of the shop staff doing things and therefore not watching their hands etc.  He pay, no I pay, her pay, but I already gave you the money.....

2 hours ago, momy0528 said:

Can someone please help me to point out where they steal? As I watch the video very carefully and found nothing wrong

Looks like the one in the white t-shirt shoves something up his sleeve in the first 15 secs of the video but I could be wrong

1 hour ago, Tongjaw said:

At about 1.20 the sales lady hands the guy in white something which looks like a bracelet. Both guys appear to be talking, showing off cash and pointing to distract the lady. The guy in white places the bracelet in his left hand under his wallet. I don’t see it come back into view again. 

Well spotted! He may have stolen 2 items then, a ring first and then the gold bracelet

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thian said:

I'm still amazed that there aren't many more goldshop robberies or atm/bank robbers in Thailand since the guards they hire are not trained at all it seems.

Have you ever seen how they fill atm's in a mall? No guns to be seen, not even a guard with them.

And in some bank branches, esp. of SCB, you have stacks of banknotes lying behind an ordinary counter, within easy reach of customers (or robbers). Quick grab and a runner, and you're 50 - 100,000 baht richer... ?

Edited by StayinThailand2much

Pakistani's arrested after gold and watch thefts in Southern Thailand

35671723_822897357916443_264048622360015

Two alleged Pakistani thieves proved no match for the Thai police who accomplished a quick arrest.

The pair - Muhammad Bashir and Bakhsh Allah - were caught on CCTV at a gold shop in Muang district of Surat Thani where a five baht weight (100,000 baht) gold bracelet went missing. 

They spent a considerable amount of time in the shop and the sales woman got confused. 

The pair were arrested at 1 pm yesterday, the day after the Surat Thaini robbery, in Khao San Road in Bangkok.

They were found in possession of a five baht weight bracelet and about 100,000 baht in cash. They continued to deny involvement.

Police say they rented a car in Pattaya and went on a crime spree. Before the Surat Thani robbery they are alleged to have stolen a 100,000 baht diamond encrusted gold watch from a shop in Hat Yai, Songkhla. 

Source: http://www.tnamcot.com/view/5b2b5312e3f8e4f60985f276

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-21

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Thian said:

I see 4 salespeople and 2 customers...ALL the gold is behind glass and still they manage to steal an item??

The stolen item was not in the case when it as handed to the potential customer to examine!  Does anyone buy jewellery without looking at it first?

Edited by Just Weird

15 hours ago, Thian said:

"ALL the gold is behind glass..."

12 hours ago, Thian said:

But the staff in the goldshop should be more professional. She even handed the 100.000 baht item to him and he still could steal it.

"She even handed the 100.000 baht item to him..."

But, but, you said ALL the gold was behind glass and still they manage to steal it!Make up your mind.

Very good, it`s the old; the hand is quicker than the eye trick. I watched the guy whisk the bracelet into his wallet in the video. Also it seems they knew their stuff regarding what was valuable in the shop.

My cousin once worked in a jewellery shop in London. She told me that if a customer requests to see an item, the staff hand it to the customer and immediately place any others items on a tray back under the glass. And each time the customer wants to see something, the staff should repeat the process. Obviously the staff in the OP shop have a lot to learn, not very professional.

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

People from this overall area know more tricks to cheat people than most us us could invent in 5 lifetimes, and they are game to try, plus they are masters at causing confusion ...

When my wife was young, her grandmother would give her money and send her to the store to buy something.  When she returned and handed over the change, grandma would palm a bill and complain about being short-changed.  (Evil old Vietnamese woman.)

Maybe these guys just wanted to take advantage of a free room and weigh loss program at the BKK Hilton.

Edited by Damrongsak

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

When my wife was young, her grandmother would give her money and send her to the store to buy something.  When she returned and handed over the change, grandma would palm a bill and complain about being short-changed.  (Evil old Vietnamese woman.)

Maybe these guys just wanted to take advantage of a free room and weigh loss program at the BKK Hilton.

Better to not book book them into the Bkk Hilton, they'll find a way to steal the steel bars and sell them then short deliver, and then turn the room into a scam tailor shop.

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...don't see them steal anything....

...guilty by looks alone...???

...gotta wonder about exchange booths too....

...do they give the customer a copy of the serial numbers...???

Go to 1.24 and look at the guy in the Hat Yai t-shirt's right hand.... Watch him pick up the stolen item shown in the police photo.

Edited by Amusements

On 6/21/2018 at 11:53 AM, momy0528 said:

Can someone please help me to point out where they steal? As I watch the video very carefully and found nothing wrong

At 1:23 you will see the girl hand him the bracelet, and he tucks it under the wallet he is holding in his hand.