Wrongfully Blacklisted - What Can I Do to Remove My Name

I have been wrongfully blacklisted in Thailand because my LAST name and Date of Birth match with another person. Our first names are different. Every time I enter Thailand or leave Thailand, blacklisted message pops up at immigration computer screen when they scan my passport. After that a supervisor has to override this message and then they let me go. This has been happening for the past 5 years. It is an unpleasant experience as I visit Thailand 1-2 times a year.  It also happened last month when I visited Thailand.

What can I do to REMOVE my name from the blacklist? I don't want to go through the unpleasant experience every time. I very much appreciate your guidance. Please HELP.
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I feel your pain. In fact, there is potential for even worse problems than you have already experienced. I could well imagine, with the relatively recent Advance Passenger Information System, that the airline could receive a DNB (do not board) notification from immigration (which they receive with no explanatory commentary). That could mess things up a lot more than just an annoying few minutes at immigration when entering.

What it looks like is that your passport(s) and the other person's passport(s) have been erroneously linked in immigration's system. I assume the system suggests passport linkage, and the immigration official either confirms or cancels the linkage. Unfortunately, it seems an official made an error at same stage. There must be a way of correcting this, but reaching the people able to do it, and convincing them to do so could be very problematic. I think this is one of those situations where it may be worth paying a well connected immigration lawyer to intervene on your behalf.

Thank you for your insightful response. I had not thought about Advance Passenger Information System. Yes, it could get even worse. I am planning to get an immigration lawyer intervene on my behalf. I have written to 3 of them today. I hope I hear something from them soon. Do you recommend any trustworthy law firm that I should reach out to?

1 hour ago, deekay77 said:

It is a pain. This time the Immigration officer at the airport told me that a lot of visitors from Vietnam also face the same situation as their last names are so common. He also suggested me to change my last name, but I am not going to do that. 

In which case I suspect that your name/passport is not incorrectly linked to someone else.

Instead, to me, it appears more probable that the immigration computer matches surname and date of birth fields on submitted passports to those on the blacklist.

If my suspicion is correct, there would be nothing you could do other than change your surname (which is rather extreme in the circumstances).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

In which case I suspect that your name/passport is not incorrectly linked to someone else.

Instead, to me, it appears more probable that the immigration computer matches surname and date of birth fields on submitted passports to those on the blacklist.

If my suspicion is correct, there would be nothing you could do other than change your surname (which is rather extreme in the circumstances).

Change one letter in your surname ( deed poll ) of course means new passport but that's cheaper than any lawyer.

AndersOn  AndersEn  SmIth Smyth etc.

As somebody said before already, probably they just check surname + birthdate + maybe nationality with the blacklist, you match, so it shows the warning to the IO

It might be that the software which they use just does not allow to add an exception to a passport or something similar, if this would be possible they probably would have done this for you already.

So if it is technically not possible to add an exception there is not much you or a lawyer can do.

Maybe you could get a letter from immigration which explains the situation so that you show this letter when arriving in Thailand to make the situation easier for the IOs at the border? But probably they still have to call their supervisor.

• Like 2

OP….  You have indicated in your original post that you have been visiting Thailand on a regular basis (once or twice a year) for the past five years.  Would you please enlighten us as to how you arrive in Thailand, e.g. by plane, land crossings or boat.

Many thanks

7 hours ago, deekay77 said:

and then they let me go.

Which suggests you are not actually black listed? 

Same happened one time to a friend of mine who comes 3 or 4 times a year. He was coming in on 30 days visa free. Now he gets a tourist visa and has a new passport and ...no problem.

Do you come in on a tourist visa? That way your name etc will be checked at the embassy before you get here.

13 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Your friends situation has nothing to do with the OP situation

As I read the thread title it says  

• Wrongfully Blacklisted - What Can I Do...

The OP is obviously not blacklisted either. I'm suggesting or querying that maybe he is coming on a 30 on-arrival and that just maybe if he got a tourist visa at the Embassy he wouldn't get pulled aside at the airport.  

My friend wasn't black listed either just that his name was flagged for frequent trips with 30-day stamp on arrival. The Op is flagged for a different reason but just maybe the solution is the same? 

Failing all this I suggest maybe the OP schedule a visit to Changwattana Immigration on his next visit to get the whole thing sorted out. Or at the minimum spend some extra time at the airport and ask to see the senior immigration person to find out how it can be resolved. 

Edited by VocalNeal

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

The OP is obviously not blacklisted either. I'm suggesting or querying that maybe he is coming on a 30 on-arrival and that just maybe if he got a tourist visa at the Embassy he wouldn't get pulled aside at the airport.  

I think you have totally misread or not read the OP's post at all

Having a 30 day VE or a TV is not going to make any difference, he is still going to have issues at Immigration

Can I suggest that you read the opening post again? Then maybe you will understand the issue

• Like 2

I suggest you talk to three lawyers.  They should be willing to spare a brief period of time free.   You will obviously look at their fee structure, but make sure they understand your problem.  If you read through this thread you can see an on-going argument about your issue.  If you are dealing with non-native English speakers the potential for confusion is even greater, so if you are going to retain a Thai lawyer make sure she or he understands, precisely, the problem.  Also, be wary of lawyers who claim they have "connections" that can use to make the problem go away.  Although it can be hard to judge someone's honesty and integrity in a short meeting, any claims about special "connections" is a dead giveaway that they have neither.

1 hour ago, William 1974 said:

I know a good lawyer who has cleared up cases like this one. 

He does not need a lawyer. He is not blacklisted. 

It is a problem with immigration's system that causes a false blacklisted message when he enters the country.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He does not need a lawyer. He is not blacklisted. 

It is a problem with immigration's system that causes a false blacklisted message when he enters the country.

That, of course, is true. The reason I suggested an immigration lawyer is that they are usually the people who have connections at the right kind of level to get such issues resolved. If you happened to have a friend who was the son of one of the most senior immigration officials, that would be even better, but few of us have such luck. It should not be necessary to spend money on lawyers when we are blameless, but sometimes life is unfair. I would not leave this issue to fester in the OP's situation.

16 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I'm surprised that immigration cannot put a note into their systems against your passport. Perhaps they aren't that sophisticated.

Not perhaps...

Do you think that they could even have the idea to do something for this problem ?

Born stupid die stupid.

• Sad 3

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

I feel your pain. In fact, there is potential for even worse problems than you have already experienced. I could well imagine, with the relatively recent Advance Passenger Information System, that the airline could receive a DNB (do not board) notification from immigration (which they receive with no explanatory commentary). That could mess things up a lot more than just an annoying few minutes at immigration when entering.

What it looks like is that your passport(s) and the other person's passport(s) have been erroneously linked in immigration's system. I assume the system suggests passport linkage, and the immigration official either confirms or cancels the linkage. Unfortunately, it seems an official made an error at same stage. There must be a way of correcting this, but reaching the people able to do it, and convincing them to do so could be very problematic. I think this is one of those situations where it may be worth paying a well connected immigration lawyer to intervene on your behalf.

The name is linked, after 9/11 atrocity, US Immigrations placed hundreds, if not thousands of like sounding names 'needing further interview'   The Airlines were even worse with the DNB notices they themselves put in the system, so if you were Mohamad, Mohamad, Mohamad, you were held - that has been fixed for the most part.  A Passport change may alleviate the confusion for the Op since the new number will have his name associated with it.

It would seem that the OP has been flagged as blacklisted numerous times, for them to stop this would mean changing their computer system which I doubt they are going to do

A lawyer may be able to help but I suspect the only thing they could possibly do would be to get a letter from Immigration that the OP could present every time he entered but even that would need to be verified every time,

It seems whilst a unpleasant situation the OP has never been denied entry, he should just learn  to expect it is going to happen and to laugh it off, i;m not sure what else he can do, I certainly wouldn't go as far as changing my name for the sake of something that happens 1-2 times a year

• Like 1

Have similar situation not into Thailandbut into US. Sharing picture only

for reference not trying to promote it. Maybe there is something similar for when entering Thailand? Perhaps APEC. 

I’m a US citizen born and raised. Lived in APAC 12 last12 years. Traveled to US 2-4 times a year. Last two years every time I went 

through US Customs got asked 20 questions and pulled over to side. 

Flew through Chicago last two times which has automated system for US Citizens for quick and easy entry. Two times got the big “X”. Second time caused me to miss a meeting. 

I asked the officers what is the problem with stopped every time? He said name is same as wanted fugitive. Ok how do I get off this list? He gave me the Global Entry information and said it’s less expensive and easier than lawyer etc.. and takes me off the list. 

I did not purchase only because I’m pretty much retired and haven’t been to US for two years. Only meeting these days is to eat.

Hopefully there isn’t something similar for Thailand.

Recently traveling with wife to Singapore she got pulled in for an hour for questioning...... next time maybe she will listen when I tell her you

shouldn’t dress like that....... another story for another time. 

Enjoy the day! 

9B7B99A5-274A-4FCC-9E18-73D0C09DD95A.png

2 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Recently traveling with wife to Singapore she got pulled in for an hour for questioning...... next time maybe she will listen when I tell her you

shouldn’t dress like that....... another story for another time. 

where is bluespunk when he is needed ??

• Haha 1

I have a buddy back home, that has a similar issue as the OP, except his issue is with the US immigration.  He apparently has the same first, middle initial and last name of another Canadian, that has an extensive criminal record.  

He carries a government letter clearing the way for any IO's to easily confirm he is not the bad guy.

If Thailand is the only country with entry issues, request a Thai document from Thai Immigration, that an IO can use to easily get you through the entry process (what ever that document may be).

• Like 2