Chiang Rai: Rescuers make progress on day seven

rooster59

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think that's what many people are afraid of. If you start to get too hard boiled about what their odds are here, people may think that hope will be abandoned and rescue efforts will weaken. That's a fair concern. I'm getting to the point though of thinking these rescuers are risking their lives too. As time goes by and the chances of rescues goes down, how reasonable is it to ask people to continue to risk their lives? We're not there yet but as time goes by ... 

Yes-a thoughtful post.

But I do not think that they will slacken their efforts just yet-remember the Tasmanian and Chilean miners?The rescuers held to their task.

I am sure that the rescuers here will do the same thing until there is some sort of resolution.

1 minute ago, Media1 said:

Bored are you. If you are not bright enough to work it out well.

Yeah, we've got some very dense people here. 

So why don't you just tell us in plain English exactly what you're talking about?

But you won't, right? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DavCurtis said:

I've been very sad? and worried☹️, 7days? I could not last 2hours straight exploring the cave in Chiang Dao, I pray?? they are found safe and join us very soon #HOPE13

This oldbie was just on the phone to a mate and I said much the same , at my age I would have had a heart attack by now , scrub that , after 2 days in the dark, no food and sleeping on rocks and if there has been a lot of bickering over the past week on here it is probably caused by the frustration of no good news .

Better news tomorrow lets hope.

3 hours ago, timber said:

There should be one experienced person coordinating activities.  Some how I think there are too many people doing too many things getting in each others way.  What happens is there is a lack of support for the work with the highest priority.  People with little experience directing activities they know little about, but have enough status to adversely effect priorities.

I deleted the last 3 words and you described LOS perfectly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:
2 hours ago, atyclb said:

"A senior rescue official complained about the wastage of time caused by the lack of adequate coordination between several teams exploring shafts over Chiang Rai’s Tham Lung Cave."

though a tragic situation exists with lives at stake, the thai sop, mindset, style cannot suddenly become that of a swiss watch maker

Nonsense.

In most missions of this kind people will disagree-plenty of scope to disagree about trying to find different locations to try to enter the cave system.

Try googling the mine disaster in Tasmania-plenty of disagreement there and in many another disaster.

Many of the posters here are talking through their hats-with little or no knowledge at all.

There is no evidence here of Thai incompetence whatsoever.Scoring cheap points on an internet forum does not cut any sort of mustard until the mission is completed and reports are submitted and evaluated.The same as in any other country.

i am not there neither are you therefore i quoted a senior rescue officials comments as basis.

i know thai society fairly well and though i hope to god the people are all rescued alive and well i cannot distort the reality though i wish i could.

"reports submitted and evaluated"

41 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes-a thoughtful post.

But I do not think that they will slacken their efforts just yet-remember the Tasmanian and Chilean miners?The rescuers held to their task.

I am sure that the rescuers here will do the same thing until there is some sort of resolution.

But then there's the pike river mine disaster in nz where 29 miners died. 

They gave up really early. 

20 minutes ago, atyclb said:

i am not there neither are you therefore i quoted a senior rescue officials comments as basis.

i know thai society fairly well and though i hope to god the people are all rescued alive and well i cannot distort the reality though i wish i could.

Thank you for the originality of your remark.I'm impressed as ,I am sure,many others will be.

You quoted one official and I replied.

"i know thai society fairly well" is a remark that I generally consign to the waste paper basket-where it belongs.

38 minutes ago, atyclb said:

You're confusing 'reality' with 'yiur reality'.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Otherwise thank you for the originality of your remark.I'm impressed as ,I am sure,many others will be.

You quoted one official and I replied.

"i know thai society fairly well" is a remark that I generally consign to the waste paper basket-where it belongs.

google  "self deluded"

1 hour ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Betcha a tenner it doesn't go past next Saturday, perhaps sooner.

It will be known what we are looking at before next Saturday. So we would be in agreement there.

But just to add to that, the human body, both psychologically & physically is a pretty remarkable machine. So I for one will not be writing these kids off just yet. I am not the praying kind but all my hopes are with them that they have been able to hold it together to now. I foresee a break through within the next 24 hours, 48 on the outside.

Edited by chrisinth
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

You're wrong obviously as I was responding to a member that said this --

...  every reason to believe they will be ok ...

Look, I'll go there. 

At this point it's reasonable to assume that some, most, or even all of them are probably already dead.

There's also a fair chance that happened the first day by swimming into the currents. 

People don't want to say that because they may feel that would jinx the rescue efforts.

That should obviously continue for much longer. There is definitely still hope. Just not a massive amount of it now especially for all of them. 

It's more than likely the rescue teams already know they're probably dead and are being careful not to add more casualties to the site 

Honestly, if the navy seals can't handle it down there with all their expertise and the best equipment money can buy then the chance of schoolboys still surviving are pretty low

Not to mention some of the same areas were searched multiple times because of communication breakdown between the teams and usa news said that some 3 rescue workers were electrocuted yesterday and they were taken to hospital

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Srivara defends his questioning of officials at Tham Luang cave

Srivara-Rangsibrahmanagul.jpg

Pol Gen Srivara Rangsibrahmanagul, the national deputy chief, has come under attacks in the social media for what is seen as an act of intimidation toward officials working to save the lives of the 12 young footballers and their coach trapped in Tham Luang Cave.

A video clip showing Pol Gen Srivara questioning two officials whether they had a permission to fly a drone and drill a hole in the cave went viral on the last few days. It was his use of language and stern manner that irked social media users who expressed sympathy with the officials on the rescue mission.

An official was trying to use a drone to survey the mountain to look for shafts through which search and rescue officials could get down into the cave when Pol Gen Srivara intervened to question whether he had received proper permission to do so.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/srivara-defende-questioning-officials-tham-luang-cave/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-06-30

My wife and her friends were talking about this guy.  He's all over Thai TV and social media.  Seems this wasn't a 'one-off'.  He's done similar many times before and he's being dubbed as the most hated policeman in Thailand even before this latest incident.

It does remind me when volunteers were arriving from all over the world to help with the tsunami of 2004.  Immigration officials were questioning the legality of the volunteers working without the required paperwork!

4 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Honestly, if the navy seals can't handle it down there with all their expertise and the best equipment money can buy then the chance of schoolboys still surviving are pretty low

That just doesnt make sense at all .

Navy SEALS could survive down there for a week( and a few weeks more)

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

‘Poor coordination in cave search leading to waste of time’

By The Nation

79fad6f6b36c3e9ce8052f2ffd3154cf.png

Lerpong Suansang, head of a search team of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department

A senior rescue official complained about the wastage of time caused by the lack of adequate coordination between several teams exploring shafts over Chiang Rai’s Tham Lung Cave.

Lerpong Suansang, head of a search team of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, said there were several teams searching for shafts that could offer a passage to chambers in the cave where it is believed a 13-member football team could have been trapped.

Lerpong said several shafts had been searched that they only led to a dead-end but due to lack of coordination other teams also ended up searching the same shafts, assuming them to be new discoveries.

He said there should have been better coordination so that all the rescue teams were aware of which shafts had been searched.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30348999

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-06-30

Spray paint from a hardware shop. 40B.

2 minutes ago, HHTel said:

My wife and her friends were talking about this guy.  He's all over Thai TV and social media.  Seems this wasn't a 'one-off'.  He's done similar many times before and he's being dubbed as the most hated policeman in Thailand even before this latest incident.

It does remind me when volunteers were arriving from all over the world to help with the tsunami of 2004.  Immigration officials were questioning the legality of the volunteers working without the required paperwork!

I rarely take the police side in anything but he may have just been checking that it wasn't someone just making a video to put on YouTube etc for personal gain.... 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, HHTel said:

No they were not .

Thats completely false

The thing that bothers me most is the fact leadership in LOS is pitiful at best. The seven days these kids have been trapped the same leadership directing the rescue has been unable to enforce a basic law to wear helmets going on decades. It's very likely hundreds have died needlessly just this last week due to this one continuing failure to lead effectively. Why would anyone expect this to be different. I have witnessed unbelievable courage from the rank and file responders. The leadership has been status quo. It's exactly what we have come to expect here. Wishing I had a better answer for these kids and their coach. 

It’s 8 days and counting. All we hear from reports are the rescue  operation is badly lacking leadership and coordination. There just too many Indian chiefs wanting their piece of limelight. The Interior Minister must step up and take charge. He is a trained soldier and he has organizational skill. Why is he so quiet. 

1 minute ago, HHTel said:

I beg to differ.  I was there and met some of the volunteers.  I believe it was reported in the Bangkok Post.

You was at the airport, "when they arrived"?

Maybe you are confusing it with when, after six weeks , the authorities told any remaining volunteers to get a work permit ?