New TV, failed in under 3 weeks. Consumer rights?

Monouras

Hey all,

just wondering if anyone has any experience with a similar issue to mine before I contact the Office of Consumer Protection Board during their office hours.

I bought a new TV from a major retailer on June 9 when the World Cup promotions were starting up. It was delivered in the evening of June 12. On July 2nd (20 days later) I came home, turned it on, and the screen was completely distorted - early life failure.

I'm only familiar with the regulations of my home country which put the responsibility to replace the set squarely upon the retailer's shoulders, but I'm not sure of my legal rights in Thailand, and am hoping someone can spell them out for me?

As soon as I saw the problem, I contacted the retailer, and went into the store. The manager told me that all they could do was contact the manufacturer for me, because it was out of their 7 day exchange window (though, again, it wasn't even three weeks since delivery).

Long story short, the manufacturer has collected the tv, found that the panel is dodgy (apparently an extremely rare issue - lucky me), and have ordered a new panel to put into the old shell (in other words, the issue was present since manufacture, but only came to a head after 20ish hours of being on). All told, I will have had my brand new (and not cheap) tv for 2 whole weeks, and will be without it for almost the same time (and the entirety of the World Cup, mind you). Furthermore (but still relevant), I'm not confident that my pricey, brand new, mint condition TV will actually return to me quite so mint, as the technicians opted not to put it back in the box when taking it (and accidentally bashed into the lift when fitting it in).

The manufacturer have stated to me that despite it being far easier to replace the entire tv, only the retailer can do that.

Has anybody had a similar experience before? Am I being treated fairly according to the land of the law?

Thank you

what brand is the tv, we bought 8 tv's for our units and one of them  did the same thing, no replacement, took a month for them to send it away to be fixed and return it to us, absolute BS, they should replace but dont as they dont want to lose out

in any possible way

Anything bought here is down to pure luck 

man brands shoudm be better  

BUR customer service and consumer rights is abysmal here unless you are a hiso  and  they KNOW WHO YOU ARE?

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I'm not aware that you have any rights here beyond a repair during the warranty period.

I had a microwave oven from a major brand name which blew up (literally) within a couple of weeks of purchase. The big chain that sold it to me were no help at all. The local service centre took a week even to look at it and when they did look at it they just wanted to repair it, and apparently the parts would have to come from Korea or China or wherever which would take more weeks. After much (polite) bitching and moaning over the course of several days I finally convinced the service centre to give me a new one, which they did with very bad grace. That took several days to get to Pattaya from Bangkok also.

Moral: never buy anything in Thailand if you can possibly avoid it.

It is just a great pity you cannot name the store because of Thai defamation laws, but in your case KittenKong, but from what I can see you are not doing anything against the defamation laws, you are only saying what happened at the store.

It does not seem to matter what you buy or from where you buy it , Also it does not matter what brand you buy as most retailers do not want to know you after you have bought it . A well know brand should be better than one we are not familiar with , but even so these do go wrong quickly sometimes . I think that electrical goods by well known makes are not so well made for Thailand as they would be made for say Europe , But I suppose that comes down to a price factor ?

i had a Sony the big HD Bravia think something like 85 inches and its ended with a green line down the middle of the screen. the tv cost back then about 320,000 thb and Sony Bkk called and said easier to give you new tv if i will pay the freight charge from bkk to Phuket 10k which i agreed to as a new version and updated HD bravia....

I have been in Samui several years and always buy Samsung products.

Not because I think they are superior to all others but because Samsung have their own very good service centre on Samui.

I had a TV that needed a new screen and delivered it to them about 10.00 am one day. They advise the part needed to come from Bangkok and at 3.00 pm the next day called to say it was ready for collection.

Yes less than 1.5 days from problem to solved !

15 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Bit hard to do if you are actually living here I think....

3 minutes ago, roath said:

Bit hard to do if you are actually living here I think.... 

Which part of "if you can possibly avoid it" wasn't clear?

I buy many items outside of Thailand; but only those that will fit in my luggage. That includes things like kettles, cookware, PC parts, smaller hi-fi equipment ......

The choice is much wider elsewhere and the prices are much lower. And I get a proper warranty of a year or two that will be honoured. I've even had faulty items refunded/replaced without having to send or take the faulty one back at all. I doubt that many Thai shops would do that.

took the actual ring clamp that needed a tool to install it with. showed it to employee and she gave me the tool specifically for it.  the quality of tool was so poor that most of the teeth bent or broke with first attempts using it. returned to store within 3 hours  (biggest diy home store chain) and they they told me no refund or store credit because they couldn't re sell it as it was broken. 

i argued my point is they gave me the tool for the job and it should not have bent/broken if quality was decent.

another incident was an induction cooker that failed within a few days. store manager told me they couldnt take it back because i had used it already.  she couldnt answer my question "how would i know it failed if i didnt use it?    B . C . took it back

A few years back I had started building my house and purchased a hand basin from a building supply outlet. The shop had circled the item on a brochure and told me it was on 30% discount. Great. They gave the package to me and I took it straight round to the joiner who was making the bathroom unit. A week later I contact the joiner and was told that the unit was the wrong type - a pedestal type not a bench type. No problem, I took it back to be changed. Yes sir we will change but it will cost you another 3000Baht. Why? It is no longer on special. But the mistake was yours, not mine so you should stand by the price. No can do. Half an hour later I am now talking to the manager and point out that I have just started building the house and if he wants my continued custom he should stand by the price. No can do so I paid up and have never been back and have also talked another couple of potential customers out of dealing with them.  So much for customer service. It has cost them a lot more in profits and future custom than it would have to recognise their mistake.

It depends not only on the shops but also on the people you talk to and how you talk.

Many years ago a friend of mine bought a toaster at a Big supermarket chain. At home he discovered that it didn't work. When he showed it to me I saw that on the box was written "defect" in Thai. He brought it back. The defect item was placed in he shelve and he got another one.

Several years ago the panel of a LG monitor died within the warranty period of the manufacturer. I brought it to IT city where I bought it. They sent it to Bangkok, said might take 2month or more. After little more than one month they called me and I got a replacement monitor with full HD, the broken one had a lower resolution. It's still working.

About two years ago I bought an USB memory stick at JIB. It broke after a few month. The shop required the original package of the stick to handle the case which I didn't have. I insisted and finally they sent it to the manufacturer SanDisk. I got a free replacement and kept the package.

From my experience you can not rely on the shop here, but on the manufacturer's warranty.

Another good experience:

Two years ago my neighbors asked me for advice. Their fridge freezer combination didn't cool anymore. I had a look and guessed that the compressor is broken. There was a sticker 10 years warranty for the compressor and the phone number of Samsung service. They came next day and found that the pipe was damaged and due to this the compressor broke. They had to pay for the replacement of the pipe but not for the compressor, about 2500 THB.

In the US, most major retailers offer a return period for certain items. Wa-mart has a 90-day return policy on most merchandise with exceptions of 14, 15 and 30 days on electronics. All items must be in the original packaging with all paperwork. Outside of the return policy period, the manufacturer is responsible for warranty claims and most warranties are repair and return, not replace.

With that said, I believe that the 7-day return policy for defective merchandise is pretty much the standard in Thailand.at most major retailers. I have bought 2-TV's from Tesco and a fridge and AC unit from Big C. At both stores, I was made aware of the 7-day return policy.  Fortunately, I have not had to submit any warranty claims as 2 are now out of warranty.

As for the gentleman with bathroom basin issue, he was in a grey area with him thinking he could just exchange it straight up.  He had bought it at a 30% discount at xxx amount of money, but the one he needed was now at regular the price and he had to pay the difference and this upset him. But what if the clerk had given him back the original purchase price in cash. Then he would have had the choice of either paying more for the basin he needed or buy it somewhere else.     

No truer words were ever spoken ........How they export from this country amazes me with the throw - outs I've had over 6 years ..yes! TV too...

Edited by tagalong
Incorrect

1 hour ago, tweedledee2 said:

In the US, most major retailers offer a return period for certain items. Wa-mart has a 90-day return policy on most merchandise with exceptions of 14, 15 and 30 days on electronics. All items must be in the original packaging with all paperwork. Outside of the return policy period, the manufacturer is responsible for warranty claims and most warranties are repair and return, not replace.

Anyone from the EU would probably think that the US is still in the dark ages, only slightly above Thailand.

In the EU the vendor is entirely responsible for the product he sells for a period of at least one year and possibly two: especially for electronics. The actual product also has to be fit for the purpose for which it is intended and of reasonable quality. Those requirements can extend over many years, though it does depend on the type of item and the price paid.

I find this entirely reasonable. Consumers should never have to deal with a manufacturer or importer: just with the shop that sold them the item.

I've seen in big name stores
reduced price "sale" Tv's with no remote and note in Thai "not working" best one was a refrigerator with note in Thai saying "not cold" and price only a couple of thousand baht cheaper than a cold refrigerator ! ! [emoji15] [emoji1]

21 hours ago, Monouras said:

Was a Sony tv. Just a dud panel, apparently. Was your experience with getting it back ok at least?

yes, tv was fine when returned, it was the time that it took to do it that was the concern, a new tv should not have to be sent away to be fixed within the first few weeks of buying it and the first time it was used

2 hours ago, tagalong said:

No truer words were ever spoken ........How they export from this country amazes me with the throw - outs I've had over 6 years ..yes! TV too...

Food? Clothes? Condoms?

He didn't say don't buy anything made in Thailand. But how about Durex condoms or shrimp?

11 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Same experience with fancy kettle at Big C and new car battery at 'BQuick'.

BQuick checked my car charging systems  and found them all ok  , and  therefore determined I needed a new  and bigger battery.( not cheap ).

The next day when the car wouldnt start they decided it was my system at fault.

I took out the battery and rode it to them.

They determined it was flat ( "well hello" ? ) and recharged it.

I rode back and collected it and put it back in. 

Flat within  6 hours but not used.

I went back. They said they would check it over.

Back home they called and  decided I should BUY a new one  while they sent this one to Bangkok.

When it was verified as faulty by the maker , and they received a refund , they would send it on to me..

I then put the Thai missus on the phone.

She said I wasnt stupid enough to buy 2 sh-t batteries from them , and that I was going to email  the parent company asap.

15 minutes later a BQuick mechanic arrived  with another battery , acted like we were con men and scowled the whole time he fitted the newer one. 

I wouldnt be writing these Facts now if they had simply been pleasant about it..

Buy as little as possible in the way of technology in Thailand.

I have had similar experiences with BQuick, it seems that their scamming is all carried out at local level. When they fitted some steering linkages to my truck that broke in a week ,they were rather reluctant to do anything, however an email to the right person in thir head office had the b@$t@rds dancing through hoops, parts were replaced refunds were given and some free odds and ends as a way of apology. The head office took this very seriously as it appeared they had fitted cheap or copy Chinese parts.

All of the parts removed, all of the parts fitted and all of the paperwork was photographed and emailed to Bangkok, the repairs and refunds were done in the following 12 hours, but needless to say, I will never use them ever again. 

So if you have a complaint, take it further (most Thais seem to think it will go nowhere) keep contacting them, tell them what YOU WANT to put things right, you may well get a nice surprise!

On 7/9/2018 at 7:58 AM, mstevens said:

A number of people say not to buy stuff in Thailand, but if you're living in Thailand it could get complicated.  I mean, who would buy a car battery from abroad and ship it to Thailand.  And in the case of a kettle, if you did buy it in your homeland and it went tits up in Thailand it's going to be a hassle to return it to your homeland for repair / refund / replacement.

With all of this in mind, I think one has to research appliances carefully, choose brands that are known to be reliable and cross your fingers!

I've lived in Thailand for 10 years.

Did you see the words   ..."as little as possible ..."  

Its impossible to avoid , sooner or later , a consumer complaint whilst living here.

And you need a spare room to house all the boxes you "must" have to return an item , only to be refused warranty anyway !

13 hours ago, Formaleins said:

I have had similar experiences with BQuick, it seems that their scamming is all carried out at local level. When they fitted some steering linkages to my truck that broke in a week ,they were rather reluctant to do anything, however an email to the right person in thir head office had the b@$t@rds dancing through hoops, parts were replaced refunds were given and some free odds and ends as a way of apology. The head office took this very seriously as it appeared they had fitted cheap or copy Chinese parts.

All of the parts removed, all of the parts fitted and all of the paperwork was photographed and emailed to Bangkok, the repairs and refunds were done in the following 12 hours, but needless to say, I will never use them ever again. 

So if you have a complaint, take it further (most Thais seem to think it will go nowhere) keep contacting them, tell them what YOU WANT to put things right, you may well get a nice surprise!

Was this in Phuket ?

Also , you have touched on one 'excuse' for some of the big companies.

And that is that its often the case that the branch outlets , or staff within them ,  are being 'creative'  with the parent companies products.

Why  would a mechanic fit cheapo non-brand parts?

Because the Co. list price on reliable parts is way more than the copy.

The mechanic quotes the parent  Co.s price  , fits the 'fake' , and pockets the difference.

The practise appears rife in Thailand , not to mention possibly having fatal consequences when it involves issues  like  "steering" a motor vehicle !

So , it may well be the mechanic or branch that is to blame , and the parent Co. is oblivious to the issue , and is  also losing out ..( on the sale of spare parts AND bad reputation  ).

Edited by zaZa9

If you have a Sony TV that go broke after short time, the shop you bought it in will not change it to a new one.

Sony have service station in the bigger cities, and that you can search for on Google. If you buy from a big shop or you trust the shop, you can choose to leave the TV with them and they will send it to service for you. You will have a one year warranty and you will get back your TV serviced with no costs attached to it.

It can take 1-2 month for get this done though. It doesn´t go quickly in Thailand. If you need your TV quick, then I suggest you let a shop you can trust void the warranty and repair it and you pay for the repair.

Edited by Get Real