How bad is it to beep the horn here?

bbabythai

I'm a bit hot headed and lose my cool sometimes. Driving near chonburi yesterday I was in the left lane traveling around 60mph and noticed a space in the right lane. I was moving over and all of a sudden the driver sped up fast and I nearly crashed into him. It was a close call. I beeped the horn a lot and then got behind him and flashed the lights. He then drove extremely fast away from me and his car emitted black smoke everywhere. 

The wife was saying to me I should be careful as I could get physically beaten up if our cars pull up. 

Is it inadvisable to beep the horn even when some dhead drives like an idiot. I find it hard to refrain as thats the way we do it back home

• Like 2

Bad enough to get you killed.

I had a coach inches from my bumper a few yrs ago, he tried to overtake me with no where to go as I was following a line of cars, he forced me to take drastic action to avoid being run over so I sounded my horn, he swerved to force me into the side of the road, he ran out of his coach carrying a large wrench, I had my 12 yr old daughter on the bike, to save us both I drove off, the guy was a lunatic!!!

Waste of time hoping for police help, he would of attacked us and not cared one bit!!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vogie said:

If you don't want shooting it would be advisable not to sound your horn, I am not being flippant. Oh if I can just add, the middle finger is a no no too.

Road rage was almost unheard until a few years ago but is now common in LOS.

There's also the factor of loss of face, toot at someone and they may well consierd you have forced them to lose face. Where this is the scenarios revenge is common. 

45 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

But it's okay for thai's to middle finger us and sound there horns, Thai's couldn't care less about the police and consequences of attacking someone!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Consequences ?  In Thai there doesn't seem to be such a thing.

OP, chai yen yen, stay cool, no beeping, no middle finger if you want to avoid trouble.

This loss of face is the most stupid thing I have ever come across, I also believe it to be a get out clause for the most part.
How anyone can be that humiliated by someone beeping a horn at them is ludicrous, the attacks that happen in any manner are dumbed down by this statement. It's an easy excuse and is also easy for the police to deal with with the minimum of exertion. A few quid passes hands and everybody walks away....

Anyway dont beep your horn, it's rude...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Anythingleft? said:

This loss of face is the most stupid thing I have ever come across, I also believe it to be a get out clause for the most part.
How anyone can be that humiliated by someone beeping a horn at them is ludicrous, the attacks that happen in any manner are dumbed down by this statement. It's an easy excuse and is also easy for the police to deal with with the minimum of exertion. A few quid passes hands and everybody walks away...

All true! BUT........the fact is, it is a real phenomena and people will shoot you or beat you up no matter how stupid or ridiculous you think it is.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

How anyone can be that humiliated by someone beeping a horn at them is ludicrous, the attacks that happen in any manner are dumbed down by this statement. It's an easy excuse and is also easy for the police to deal with with the minimum of exertion. A few quid passes hands and everybody walks away....

Anyway dont beep your horn, it's rude...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Very low self esteem that causes excessive ego to develop with a lack to deal with one's emotions and calls to carry a weapon as the sole means of being heard or imposing one'sauthority .........add it to corrupt criminal justice system where impunity is for sale over the counter for a few thousand THB, shake well and serve chilled....and you have your deadly cocktail.

• Like 1

as per your own admittance you tried to cut him off,

he had the right of way since he was already in that lane,

yet you tried to squeeze in and signaled aggressively

and provocative as if you intended to use force to cut him off.

19 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Lots of overdone reactions here IMO. If you use the horn to avoid danger is necessary, do so, that is what it is meant for. But beeping the horn to vent anger I would not recommend, although I must admit I do so myself sometimes.

I agree. Im surprised by the number of comments suggesting shooting. It has to be rare cases I think. 

But I will change my behaviour now just in case- or try to

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1