Donald Trump meets Britain's Queen Elizabeth at Windsor Castle

rooster59

Donald Trump meets Britain's Queen Elizabeth at Windsor Castle

800x800 (5).jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump and the First Lady Melania Trump are met by Britain's Queen Elizabeth as they arrive for tea at Windsor Castle in Windsor, Britain, July 13, 2018. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

WINDSOR, England (Reuters) - Donald Trump met Britain's Queen Elizabeth at Windsor Castle on Friday but the 92-year-old monarch was forced at one point to walk around the U.S. president after he halted abruptly during a ceremonial inspection of the guard.

Trump's first visit to Britain as president was not the full state visit he was originally promised, but he was heralded by military bands on his arrival at Windsor, before he and First Lady Melania went into the castle for tea with the queen.

The U.S. president had earlier praised Queen Elizabeth as a "tremendous woman".

The queen greeted the pair with a smile, although she had earlier glanced at her watch as she waited for their arrival.

While inspecting the guard at Windsor, Elizabeth appeared to give direction to Trump but then the president abruptly halted and Elizabeth was forced to walk around him.

Queen Elizabeth's tea for the Trumps was due to last 25 minutes according to the White House's schedule, the last part of their official visit.

He arrived at Windsor after a morning spent visiting Britain's royal military academy at Sandhurst and held talks with Prime Minister Theresa May at her country residence, Chequers.

Tens of thousands of protesters marched through London on Friday to demonstrate against the U.S. president's visit.

Trump is due to fly to Scotland later on Friday for a private visit where he will spend two days at a golf course he owns, before heading to Helsinki for a summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-14
  • Haha 1

I thought that the US Dept.of State has a Chief of Protocol, whose duty is to ensure that the president and the first lady are not embarrassed when meeting foreign dignitaries.  And, of course, a reasonable person would expect even more special attention devoted to protocol regarding royalty and for such an important and familiar ally, as if knowing how to act with the British monarch would be obscure to that office.   

So, what went wrong?  I'd love to have seen the briefing, assuming there was one.   

Edited by helpisgood
typo
  • Like 1

It’s just another example of being the bulley trumps way of saying you need me more than I need you trump is a shameless cad personally I think he is a traitor the way he is anti NATO eu and pro Putin as far as I’m concerned he should get the express flight to Leavenworth prison doubt it will happen at minimum he will end his term in disgrace 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Hope she didn't throw up! 

I hope he didn't throw up.  We tossed the British Monarchy in 1776.  From an American POV, she's just an old English lady with frumpy hats.  They probably all had tea and crumpets and were overtly civil.  Call it a success.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Donald Trump is an IDIOT and he proved it by walking in front of the Queen.    America you should all be embarrassed that you voted this baffoon into power.   Makes me wonder what he will do next? I guess I should not talk as Pierre Elliot Trudeau of Canada did a dance behind the Queen years ago.  Justin Trudeaus father.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Why?

Would you say the same of someone who ignored protocol when it came to respecting his office?

Why ?

Because I am in Thailand and forum rules , I can't answer .

6 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Donald Trump is an IDIOT and he proved it by walking in front of the Queen.    America you should all be embarrassed that you voted this baffoon into power.   Makes me wonder what he will do next? I guess I should not talk as Pierre Elliot Trudeau of Canada did a dance behind the Queen years ago.  Justin Trudeaus father.

"He walked in front of the queen" shock, horror and and disbelief. "Makes me wonder what he'll do next" maybe he'll walk around the back of her. 

10 hours ago, connda said:

I hope he didn't throw up.  We tossed the British Monarchy in 1776.  From an American POV, she's just an old English lady with frumpy hats.  They probably all had tea and crumpets and were overtly civil.  Call it a success.

Ah, that's why he was desperate to meet her.

• Haha 1

On 7/14/2018 at 12:19 AM, helpisgood said:

And, of course, a reasonable person would expect even more special attention devoted to protocol regarding royalty

???

Your kidding right?

The only folks who believe in "Royalty" are the ones brought up believing they are beneath the "royalty's" feet

This situation had no good possible outcome. If Trump bowed & groveled the insane whine of the Dem's would be that he was beneath the office same as the other side yelled when Obama bowed in Japan

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, helpisgood said:

I thought that the US Dept.of State has a Chief of Protocol, whose duty is to ensure that the president and the first lady are not embarrassed when meeting foreign dignitaries.  And, of course, a reasonable person would expect even more special attention devoted to protocol regarding royalty and for such an important and familiar ally, as if knowing how to act with the British monarch would be obscure to that office.   

So, what went wrong?  I'd love to have seen the briefing, assuming there was one.   

To quote Boris Johnson “You can’t polish a t*rd”... :coffee1:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, meechai said:

???

Your kidding right?

The only folks who believe in "Royalty" are the ones brought up believing they are beneath the "royalty's" feet

This situation had no good possible outcome. If Trump bowed & groveled the insane whine of the Dem's would be that he 

was beneath the office same as the other side yelled when Obama bowed in Japan

He could try behaving as his far more gracious predecessors knew how to do.  http://time.com/5333083/queen-elizabeth-trump-visit-presidents/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zack61 said:

Can’t wait for his tweets. 

He'll blame it on Obama.

He did look like a doofus, and it was nice of the Queen to help him out.

The audio from the Sun interview was a bit off-putting...he sounded like his meds had not yet kicked in.

17 hours ago, Tug said:

It’s just another example of being the bulley trumps way of saying you need me more than I need you trump is a shameless cad personally I think he is a traitor the way he is anti NATO eu and pro Putin as far as I’m concerned he should get the express flight to Leavenworth prison doubt it will happen at minimum he will end his term in disgrace 

hyperbole and hysteria.

Trump did everything right. Who cares if he came too late? [emoji23]

What the heck. Just another nothingburger. If you don't like him, don't invite him. It's not rocket science.

If you ask for respect, go and look to the British protesters.

Keep it real guys. Or not... [emoji38] Up to you.

BTW. Why do you guys think Trump came too late? By accident? A trip to the EU where every minute precisely is planned? [emoji23]

Sent from a so called Smartphone using an App.

Trump did everything right. Who cares if he came too late? [emoji23]

What the heck. Just another nothingburger. If you don't like him, don't invite him. It's not rocket science.

If you ask for respect, go and look to the British protesters.

Keep it real guys. Or not... [emoji38] Up to you.

BTW. Why do you guys think Trump came too late? By accident? A trip to the EU where every minute precisely is planned? [emoji23]

Sent from a so called Smartphone using an App.

He came too late?
Hmm.
I suppose that's better than premature emasculation.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 7/14/2018 at 5:50 PM, 7by7 said:

Why?

Would you say the same of someone who ignored protocol when it came to respecting his office?

He is the POTUS. Who is she? Some relic you people keep for god knows why?