What is the legal age to drive a car?

I did read in the Thai law that the legal age to drive a car is 18 years.

I see students in the school of my child driving a car although they have not reached the required age.
I raised the question in a meeting with friends who have children in the same school, and their answer was that children in Madthayom 6 are teached the traffic code and can apply for a drive permit.
This drive permit is only to be used in the road to the school and back to home.

Is this true?

11 hours ago, Confuscious said:

I did read in the Thai law that the legal age to drive a car is 18 years.

18 Correct and they can drive with a person who has a car licence in the car with them. 

"Unlike most countries, there is no provisional or learner's licence in Thailand. Drivers who wish to obtain a driver's licence have to either learn through driving at a driving school or are at their own risk for not having a driving licence".

Edited by Kwasaki

You can check but I heard that for a small scooter under 100 cc the age is 15 year old.

I j ust googled it:

The legal driving age in Thailand is 18 for car drivers and at least 15 years of age for motorbike drivers. All tourists to Thailand are required to have an International Drivers’ License on their person at all times while operating a vehicle.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cnx355 said:

All tourists to Thailand are required to have an International Drivers’ License

Googles always right !!  ?

Google this what is a  "International Drivers’ License"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

18 Correct and they can drive with a person who has a car licence in the car with them. 

"Unlike most countries, there is no provisional or learner's licence in Thailand. Drivers who wish to obtain a driver's licence have to either learn through driving at a driving school or are at their own risk for not having a driving licence".

So even if they are accompanied by a licenced driver, it is still illegal? I think I would send my son to a driving school for a while to learn the basics. There's one near my house and often see their vehicles around on the main roads. I give them a wide berth 55. 

1 hour ago, cnx355 said:

small scooter under 100 cc the age is 15

110 ccm. That's why you find so many small motorbikes with 110 ccm like the basic Honda Wave.

18 years for private car.

20 years old for "big bikes" (125 ccm up?).

22 years for three wheeler ("tuk tuk) and misc transport licenses (taxi, bus)

25 years for transportation of dangerous goods

(from DLT website)

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Googles always right !!  ?

Google this what is a  "International Drivers’ License"

The International Driving Permit (IDP), often (and incorrectly) referred to as International Driving License, is a document that, along with your valid home driver's license, allows you to legally drive a motor vehicle while abroad.

Add to that a motorcycle license if you have one.

The reason they require farangs to have such licenses in my opinion, is so that they can check them, and if they don't, then fine them as opposed to making them do push ups on the side of the road as they do here in Issan, you see farang is and ATM, a Thai, especially a student has not reached the level to be able afford a license, let alone contribute to the RTP tea money system.

Edited by 4MyEgo

12 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

The International Driving Permit (IDP), often (and incorrectly) referred to as International Driving License, is a document that, along with your valid home driver's license, allows you to legally drive a motor vehicle while abroad.

Agree but as discussed many times as you say an IDP with a home DL is best in Thailand so hassle with police is avoided.

A countries home DL is sometimes referred to as International Drivers Licence or International Driving License which only adds to the confusion.

21 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

My daughter learned from a friend who learned from her father.

I don't see any problem with that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bandito said:

My daughter learned from a friend who learned from her father.

I don't see any problem with that.

I don't see problem either ? my son & daughter did the same, Thai teaching Thai better in my opinion, not grumpy young me.

I was never asked for my IDP in my first 4 years in Isaan, just happy with UK licence. Never bothered after the first year, as IDP only valid for one year and anyway back then would be cheaper to pay a fine than buy an IDP! My experience only.

• Sad 1

On 7/20/2018 at 3:22 PM, connda said:

Just like motorcycles: when you can reach the pedals.

School kids in white shirts in Chonburi are free to break laws. I tell you a story. A bike in front was stopped farang had helmet the kid Thai no helmet. The dumb cop said it's ok he baby haha..i asked why did you let him go no helmet ? Is ok baby baby 

I said really you should be fined lol. What a absolute embecile