Leaving Thailand after 13 Years..

markusss

Just now, sirineou said:
25 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

You can say whatever you want but yes, your credibility will be considered

IMO, on the merits of what one says not on how long they are TVF members.

Both actually. If you get an incredibly puerile comment you double check the source. and where its coming from. Oh, and why.   

7 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Both actually. If you get an incredibly puerile comment you double check the source. and where its coming from. Oh, and why.   

This is the last thing I will say on the subject and apologise to the OP for the diversion.

The comment that you dismissed had nothing to do with TVF and as such the posters  length of membership no relevance  on its Validity or the posters credibility. 

IMO everyone regardless of their length of membership  is welcome to express an opinion with in the restarains of the rules of this forum without being challenged. If they were posting an opinion  about things that occur on TVF , one might have the opinion that one has not being a member of TVF long enough to have an informed opinion, but this was not the case here.

I am sure this was an of the cuff remark on your part.  When one has a nearly 2,000 post count it is inevitable that some of them would be a steaming pile of poop, LOL   Nothing we all have not done from time to time.   IMO the best way forward when such thing happens is to own it , laugh it off and move forward.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 1:31 PM, sirineou said:

Things change in 20 years . and you have changed also . If things and you have not changed together  one might find things and you too far apart and difficult to come together again. 

All your friends are not there anymore, Hard to make new ones at a certain age , and then there are the economics.

When I hear of people selling everything to finance an escape to Thailand I cringe.If one has being away from home and kept up with financial change one is in for a shock.

I work in the high rise building construction industry,  most of the projects I get involved in are in NYC . Let me describe a typical day going to work.

We work 7am to 3:30 pm .  I need to be on site at least  6:30 am that means waking up 4:00 am to be in my office by 5:30 pick up plans a quick meeting with other supervisors, and head for Manhattan.

Try getting up every day at 4 am for Years.

Gas for the day about $10. GW bridge toll $16. Triboro bridge toll $17 ($8.50 each way) early bird special parking $28 Lunch about $10.

That's $61 just for commuting. times 5 =$305 a week. Three cars (me wife and daughter) insurance $450 a month, Property tax about $1,000 a month. etc

If one has not kept up with times professionally and financially a six figure income is barely adequate!!!

Then there are the demographics, The place is not the same, the people are not the same, cost of living through the roof.

Again if you have not kept up with times back home , after 20 years be prepared for culture shock.

Holy crap. I am dreading taking a 40,000 baht a month teaching job bc I will have to be at work by 730am (get up at 615am) and drive 5min to work. After reading your post I will not complain anymore. Take it easy pal. 

50 minutes ago, sirineou said:

This is the last thing I will say on the subject and apologise to the OP for the diversion.

The comment that you dismissed had nothing to do with TVF and as such the posters  length of membership no relevance  on its Validity or the posters credibility. 

IMO everyone regardless of their length of membership  is welcome to express an opinion with in the restarains of the rules of this forum without being challenged. If they were posting an opinion  about things that occur on TVF , one might have the opinion that one has not being a member of TVF long enough to have an informed opinion, but this was not the case here.

I am sure this was an of the cuff remark on your part.  When one has a nearly 2,000 post count it is inevitable that some of them would be a steaming pile of poop, LOL   Nothing we all have not done from time to time.   IMO the best way forward when such thing happens is to own it , laugh it off and move forward.

I would suggest decaf.

8 hours ago, genericptr said:

Age is everything when considering Thailand but it's often omitted in posts. I've lived here for 13 years also but I came when I was only 23. I visit back home (Colorado USA) every year so I haven't lost all touch, but it's clear now that I'm in my mid 30's I'm cheating myself out of too much by living in Thailand (Chiang Mai in particular). I'm not prepared to move back yet but I'm making moves in that direction and trying to talk myself up because I know it's the right thing to do.

My personal top list of issues and please note these ONLY apply to people my age. If I was 50+ I would have an entirely different perspective.

---snipped to save space---

Good post & I can tell you as one who is 50+ & left in 2016 the only difference from your post for me is adding in the need for quality medical coverage at a fair price

It is there yes but like most "Thai Things" can change anytime for no apparent reason or logic.

But overall I feel exactly the same as you. You put it quite well

The downside things you brought up do not change when your 50 except maybe we are less likely to put up with them (because we had options)

The ones that don't have options are the bitter ones you see here from time to time

Now we visit 3 months a year & like it much better

Like you I cycle & appreciate the good drivers & clean air we have back here in the US

Edited by meechai
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, meechai said:

But overall I feel exactly the same as you. You put it quite well

The downside things you brought up do not change when your 50 except maybe we are less likely to put up with them (because we had options)

The ones that don't have options are the bitter ones you see here from time to time

I think you got it figured out. 3 months/year sounds pretty good to me. Hopefully if I make the right choices now I'll be able to do that when I'm your age. If I stay here I'm well on the path to becoming bitter and resentful myself.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, FaFaHead said:

Yes, you make a great point. I don’t leave much to chance. I have (as I said in an earlier post) had the luxury of doing much research since March online. Anything I could think of, I’ve Googled. I have purchased ebooks and yes, the wife and I have discussed the farmers burning for three months or so. I won’t say it’s not a cause for concern, because it is. We we have taken the position that we’ll rent for a year and go from there. 

We we originally started initial inquiries in Pattaya and Hua Hin, but because of my wife wanting to be associated with CMU and wanting to teach in a very good private school, not a public school, Chiang Mai is where we have landed. I have to say, Hua Hin was very attractive. Because of the distance to CMU (and the natural feelings of trepidation when having to entertain driving any great distance twice a day at least five days a week), it’s easy understand our decision to start in Chiang Mai. 

No no illusions for the most part. Hopefully it works out. If not, we’ll make adjustments and go from there. 

Thank you you again for your input. Your points are well taken. 

Robert

Off topic but check out the air pollution threads here.  Some good advice there regarding air purifiers and other ways to minimize that problem.  While you're still in the US, you might want to buy a purifier there already, along with some spare filters.  They're almost twice as expensive here compared to the US.  Even if you can't switch the voltage on your model, a transformer is cheap enough.

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

All the no alcohol days , everyone knows that farangs can not go without beer for more than a few hours :tongue:

What a load of BS. Any farang who can string 2 thoughts together knows that you buy your beers before hand.

Not a problem for me as I drink at home or at my neighbours next door and we always have stock in hand.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, FaFaHead said:

Thanks for your perspective. 

Away from the main tourist centres Thais are quite friendly and helpful and, at least in rural Thailand, the smiles are genuine

I have to agree with this 100%. In my wife's village in Isaan, they are just as friendly and genuine can be.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ChidlomDweller said:

Off topic but check out the air pollution threads here.  Some good advice there regarding air purifiers and other ways to minimize that problem.  While you're still in the US, you might want to buy a purifier there already, along with some spare filters.  They're almost twice as expensive here compared to the US.  Even if you can't switch the voltage on your model, a transformer is cheap enough.

Thanks for the tip my friend...

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:54 PM, mstevens said:

More and more, I feel Thailand is best enjoyed as a tourist, and not as a resident.

True. Once I divorced my wife, Thailand became a lot less liveable as a resident. Money is the key to having a good time in LOS, and she cost me too much.

I enjoyed being a tourist immensely though.

7 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Away from the main tourist centres Thais are quite friendly and helpful and, at least in rural Thailand, the smiles are genuine

I have to agree with this 100%. In my wife's village in Isaan, they are just as friendly and genuine can be.

Three years ago, when I first moved to my village, I learned a good lesson. I picked up a drink for my MIL one day as I was coming home from Thai lessons and was passing our local market. We did not have a 7 close by to us then (we have one now).  My wife asked me to get a Milk Tea for Mum as she was feeling poorly. When I came home, the wife asked me how much the drink was.

Twenty baht I told her.

My wife laughed and told me I had paid 100% to much and not to go to the markets alone again. She said she just wanted to see what the 'farang' price was. The next day, my wife and I bought a tea from the same vendor for 10 baht.

Certainly, they are friendly but not all are genuine. Lesson learned and this was not a tourist center. Far from it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/20/2018 at 9:26 PM, car720 said:

I moved to China.

As has been said, Thailand was great in the 70's but it was our own fault for telling others about it and soon it was inundated with the usual types and went downhill from there.  

Curious about China, as I've met some real chinese cuties here and they seem better educated and speak English well.

What would be the pros n cons between the 2 in your exps?  As I've logged in 6 yrs here in LOS, maybe China.....?

• Haha 1

On 7/20/2018 at 6:45 PM, poanoi said:

cambodia only ever has low quality foam mattresses,

i broke my back after a single night in the first shithole,

i bought the most expensive spring mattress i could find

for the 2nd shithole, but it was still no quality.

its also a possibility that i broke my back so hard in the first night so nothing can change it back,

i cant even tell if a mattress or chair is good or not, for i never sense comfort

try a 10 inch foam mattress, you will never go back to traditional ones

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/20/2018 at 11:32 AM, poanoi said:

i left after 13 years and moved to cambodia,

thinking it was going to be less painful

than any more visa runs to laos,

but i got that part wrong, i have not had so much

unbearable pain in the rest of the world combined

as i had in cambodia, so when my 3 years in exile

was finally up and i was 50, i moved back to thailand.

But: it became cemented injuries, i can no longer live a life,

i have too much pain every second, i wish for death

I have two good American acquaintances I have known over twenty years, like me, back n forth between Thailand and Cambodia, Vietnam, decided to move permanently to Cambodia  - to drink themselves until they died - having lost a considerable fortune in Thailand each - one a car import dealership and the other a Motorola Radio company - and die in Cambodia they did  -  good move on your part coming back to Thailand to start the process all over.......never know, ya might find something worth living for.  I know I did, its called life, work, and commitment to oneself balance, like fine wine, taken in moderation.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2018 at 11:45 AM, poanoi said:

cambodia only ever has low quality foam mattresses,

i broke my back after a single night in the first shithole,

i bought the most expensive spring mattress i could find

for the 2nd shithole, but it was still no quality.

its also a possibility that i broke my back so hard in the first night so nothing can change it back,

i cant even tell if a mattress or chair is good or not, for i never sense comfort

Hmmmm  daily massages worked for me, contract a Massage lady to come to your house on her way home, and she may keep you warm at night........or try two mattresses

26 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

I hear ya...Im from East coast and I've been here on-off for 6 yrs....go home to work for a year and come back, ride my bike around CM daily so I know the traffic well.....Im here cos it cheap-the food and can afford healthcare. Since being back home I even bought an old wagon and made a tiny home--got food stamps and medicaid as Im poor in my own country but can live a decent simple life here. Ive found I can stretch a visa to 6 months--even 8....I try to balance between the pros n cons......when I tire of the Bs in Cm I go home, same when I tire of the crap there too.

So trying to find the fine line between the 2.....can I live in a nice studio for $100--eat real food for a buck, see a Doc for $5 back home...nope......but Is nice to have clean water, cushy bed, good wifi, law, order, structure back home.

So I put on my ipod and rock out 80's tunes , ride around all day helping cute chinese gals from getting hustled, which I find very rewarding, enjoy different food each nice on the cheap, and I also employed a 20 bt whistle to toot when a crazy thai or wandering chinese group get in my way!   I enjoy trolling Thais when I get the same 4 damn questions everyday and coming up with new answers..."Where U from"???  Mogidishu! You speak thai? Mai Chai!  You waaan massage??  Maybe tomorrow(never comes)   Or telling the Tuk tuk driver that wants to hustle me I will be RIGHT back for that ride-just let me go to the ATM  ?  Has become a game for me..the daily hustle..as the thais have taught me well and keep using the same old tired gamebook from a decade ago.....I simply mirror them... I ride around with CM maps to give to dazed and confused tourists(chinese) as you see them at the same spots looking around with that bewildered look....some say thanks--some dont...I just like helping..not hustling....a sort of David vs Goliath here as I have been thru it all...Thailand will change you--for the better or worse....go have a Sangsom shot and then pay mind games with the hustlers....heres one...when the girls on Loi Kroh wave at you wave back and keep walking, or point at a thai and say "look! that girl is waving at you!"  She wants to give u a massage!   keep waving!

We can get together at Mad Dog -drink Sangsom and bitch about life with the other old dudes...555   hang in there!

They have a Mad Dog in Chiang Mai too??  Must me a franchise here, they are everywhere..........

On 7/23/2018 at 1:02 AM, genericptr said:

Age is everything when considering Thailand but it's often omitted in posts. I've lived here for 13 years also but I came when I was only 23. I visit back home (Colorado USA) every year so I haven't lost all touch, but it's clear now that I'm in my mid 30's I'm cheating myself out of too much by living in Thailand (Chiang Mai in particular). I'm not prepared to move back yet but I'm making moves in that direction and trying to talk myself up because I know it's the right thing to do.

My personal top list of issues and please note these ONLY apply to people my age. If I was 50+ I would have an entirely different perspective.

1) I loved Thailand for its rural side (you couldn't pay me enough to live in BKK) but CM has changed rapidly it's officially now a difficult place to live that stresses me out. Getting from point A to point B is a headache and it makes me want to stay inside. If I stay in Thailand I need to move to Chiang Dao or something but there's a whole other set of problems there....

2) Chiang Mai is now officially polluted year round. If you have a good vantage point from afar look at the city and notice it's permanently covered in smog except for perhaps immediately after a rain. When I'm back home I feel healthier and more energetic, some of that I attribute to the air feeling clean to breath. I worry about my lung health being in CM.

3) Driving with Thai's is beyond frustrating and the worst part of living there. It's an absolute pleasure to drive back home and receive actual respect from people that care enough to not cut you off or run you off the road. I'll never forgive the Thai's for the reckless disrespect they show each other on the roads .

4) It took me years to say this and feel confident but the average Thai (in the north at least) has a similar IQ to janitors or manual labor trades in the US. It's become really alienating. 10 years ago I thought it was quaint to see the villagers go about their humble lives and it was something I loved about Thailand, but flash forward to today and I'm embarrassed for them because I know they can't do any better if they wanted to. I have no confidence they can fix the traffic issue or their government but I'll still hope for the best. Consider what it means so spend the best years of your life with people who don't inspire and motivate you. 

5) Parks and recreation in Thailand are  hugely limited, often overcrowded and usually inferior quality to what we have in the US. It's such a privilege to have clean Rocky Mountain air and miles of open space to get lost in the woods, hike and camp. CM has some awesome cycling but that's not the same and it's getting worse every year (traffic, pollution etc...). That breaks my heart because my best memories of CM were cycling on the open roads. RIP.

6) If you have a dog in Thailand you're basically screwed. There's practically no parks and if you find a place it's riddled with stray dogs. There's no sidewalks so you'r basically constrained to walking around your compound or within your gates. Having dogs in Colorado is so enjoyable and there's a great culture here for trailing running, parks and lots of side walks with clean streets and safe drivers.

? Finally is the government in Thailand. I feel like a chump for tolerating those people and basically begging at this point to be allowed entry into their country like I'm a dangerous criminal. In America we permit Thais to own land and private businesses if they get in line and apply, but if I come to them this is how they repay us. Sick of being a chump guys.

I enjoyed reading your post and agree with it all. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Curious about China, as I've met some real chinese cuties here and they seem better educated and speak English well.

What would be the pros n cons between the 2 in your exps?  As I've logged in 6 yrs here in LOS, maybe China.....?

I did Chinese girls also, they are smarter than the smartest Thai woman that you could met in university Phd, but they all consider themselves as princesses and never understand that the only jewel was me ! Thai at least understand this very easily when they compared me with most foreigners that they have met in their life.

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Three years ago, when I first moved to my village, I learned a good lesson. I picked up a drink for my MIL one day as I was coming home from Thai lessons and was passing our local market. We did not have a 7 close by to us then (we have one now).  My wife asked me to get a Milk Tea for Mum as she was feeling poorly. When I came home, the wife asked me how much the drink was.

Twenty baht I told her.

My wife laughed and told me I had paid 100% to much and not to go to the markets alone again. She said she just wanted to see what the 'farang' price was. The next day, my wife and I bought a tea from the same vendor for 10 baht.

Certainly, they are friendly but not all are genuine. Lesson learned and this was not a tourist center. Far from it.

Well you certainly cannot make a case on that one incident.

If you have to learn a lesson for 10 baht only and write about it after three years, there is something out of sort in your life.

And to be told not to go to the market alone over 10 baht??????

Sounds like you need the 10 baht worse than the vendor.

1 hour ago, totally thaied up said:

There is nothing out of the way in my life. Fact is this; my MIL works that market (20 years), everyone knows me very well. The fact is, it was one of her close friends that stung me. 10 baht to me is nothing but I have seen Thais in that very market who are hard to do squabble over 10 baht, as to them, it is a lot of money. My MIL changes everyone the same for her foods and the other vendors called her crazy for not taking advantage of charging more to other farangs that pass through. It is just not on one incident. You may think it is okay, but my Thai family doesn't and I will listen to them first, before anyone else. I am not concerned over it but how some of you guys stay everything is perfect in 'the village' and 100% honest when they most likely don't know the wool is being pulled over there eyes, gives me pause to give a valid comment. It is much like I won't be seen for quids anywhere near our house when we are getting quotes. 50% difference at times if I show my face up in front of contractors.

Getting the wool pulled over your eyes for 10 baht isn't even worth mentioning. If that is the only thing wrong in your life, I would say your life is just about perfect.

Some villages are 100% honest. My wife's village doesn't have any stores or markets. Lucky I won't have to get ripped off for 10 baht right?

When I did put running water into her house and a nice shower, had plenty of villages show up to help for free. They could have bitched about me not giving them 10 baht or anything, but they didn't. 

As mentioned, 10 baht has stuck in your mind now for 3 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

If you want to have fun with the Chinese tourists girls, go for it. If you are thinking about moving to China, understand that it was, up until recently, a severely isolated and repressed society. There was a lot of famine and war in China in the past. Hence the uncouth tour groups ravaging through other countries with bad manners. Fortunately, the girls you refer to are the independent travelers who speak some English. You would just need to find them in a society of billions.? And the quality of life available in China is less comfortable than Thailand (pollution and food quality to name two examples).

It’s also an extremely nationalistic country. Google and Facebook are blocked in the country and it’s basically a police state. Go to YouTube and type in last emperor dance and check out the flag waver and Commie girls dancing. ? I doubt the mentality has changed much since then.

Finally, if you were to marry into a Chinese family, their financial expectations would be astronomical, far in excess of the average poor Issan family. However as another poster stated, Chinese girls are more worldly and smart and the average Thai, so the relationship would be more satisfying and likely to succeed for that reason.?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2018 at 5:42 PM, markusss said:

What was so bad about life in Cambodia for you? I know that no place is paradise, but Thailand used to be fun, relaxed and easy going. These selling points of Thailand have changed a great deal. I've always believed that Thailand was over-policed but sine the entry of the military here it is out of control. Just too much police and military presence in Thai society to be conducive to a happy, easy going lifestyle here. That's my opinion anyway & happens to be the same opinion of many Thais I speak with about this too. But i'm not going to debate anyone about this here. If anyone finds themselves to be very happy here in Thailand as it is today then I'm happy for them too.

Live in countryside drive with motorbike in mountains of the North. ?

No problem for me - much less police on the road than on my jome country 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SEAsia Traveler said:

If you want to have fun with the Chinese tourists girls, go for it. If you are thinking about moving to China, understand that it was, up until recently, a severely isolated and repressed society. There was a lot of famine and war in China in the past. Hence the uncouth tour groups ravaging through other countries with bad manners. Fortunately, the girls you refer to are the independent travelers who speak some English. You would just need to find them in a society of billions.? And the quality of life available in China is less comfortable than Thailand (pollution and food quality to name two examples).

It’s also an extremely nationalistic country. Google and Facebook are blocked in the country and it’s basically a police state. Go to YouTube and type in last emperor dance and check out the flag waver and Commie girls dancing. ? I doubt the mentality has changed much since then.

Finally, if you were to marry into a Chinese family, their financial expectations would be astronomical, far in excess of the average poor Issan family. However as another poster stated, Chinese girls are more worldly and smart and the average Thai, so the relationship would be more satisfying and likely to succeed for that reason.?

Good to know..thanks for the info!