Tops plans monthly bag-free day

webfact

For a country of approx 70 million to come 5th globally in terms of amount of plastic rubbish produced is really quite an achievement; but not an achievement to be proud of. 

The only way that this is going to change is by changing public behavior and that means taxing the manufactures of plastic bags and also charging for the plastic bags at the point of sale. In addition there needs to be a much more joined up waste disposal service across the entire country. Most trash is fly tipped as small towns, villages have no waste services at all. This needs addressing at its simplest this would be a village collection point for villagers to take rubbish for sorting and collection - something the village fund should be used for and supported by governments at a local and national level.

And of all else fails - just remove the plastic packaging at BIG C etc before you leave the store as these good folks did!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWz_p445Oh0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

So on that day everyone will go to Big C.

Whoa! Cynical or not, that hadn't actually occurred to me. I just hadn't thought how shallow people might be.

What we desperately need is a non-plastic plastic bag alternative that would alleviate that.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, jonclark said:

For a country of approx 70 million to come 5th globally in terms of amount of plastic rubbish produced is really quite an achievement; but not an achievement to be proud of. 

Not too bad compared to their other achievements....

Road deaths.

Teen pregnancy.

Nose picking.

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

I take 2-300 bags back to the UK every time I go in my near empty case it makes me feel greener and my Dad can use them on his commode. 

What about the jet fuel used in transporting them back...............:sorry:

3 hours ago, webfact said:

"We also stop using plastic straws and change to biodegradable straws made from cornstarch. These 100 per cent natural straws will break down and degrade in just six months,” Central Food Hall and Tops said. 

If they can make biodegradeable straws, why not biode bags...instead?

'

When I was growing up, grocery shopping meant taking home the groceries in paper bags, which are bio-de....  What ever happened to paper at least at the supermarkets?

Save a tree, but despoil the oceans and kill marine life???

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

3 hours ago, webfact said:

They are all single-use, they do not decompose and pollute land, waterways and oceans, killing marine life. 

And just how, pray tell Thailand, do the plastic bags here end up in waterways and oceans???

Elsewhere, they ought to at least end up getting sent with the garbage to secure landfills... But here, apparently, not so much....  Why is that???

38 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Yes, totally agree.

or they just won't shop at all that day.

Or if they aren't awake or aware, ie normal state, they will turn up at the checkout realise 'no bags' and storm off leaving the shopping in the trolley

????

• Haha 1

No need to coddle Thais.  In the absence of higher awareness and thinking beyond food, shelter, water, clothing, humans, Thais included, react swiftly to anything involving money out of their pocket and/or being thrown in jail.   

Just do it.  It'll change dramatically in 1 or 2 days and within a few months, it will just be the new normal.  Except the Hi-Sos. It'll be a "look at me I'm rich" status symbol to walk out of the shop with expensive plastic carrier bags, sucking a Starbucks Mochadopeafrapahoohoo through an old-school straw.  ?

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

'

When I was growing up, grocery shopping meant taking home the groceries in paper bags, which are bio-de....  What ever happened to paper at least at the supermarkets?

Trees used to be number 1 then.

Paper beats plastic: the shopping bag comes full circle

https://www.packaging-gateway.com/comment/plastic-shopping-bag/

With the introduction and subsequent extension of China’s plastic recycling imports ban, waste from plastic packaging starts to pile up, underlining the environmental impact that high plastic consumption has on the world. According to the BBC, from a total of 8.3 billion tons of virgin plastic produced to date, 6.3 billion tons of plastic waste had been generated (as of 2015). Approximately 80% of that waste went into landfills and the natural environment, 12% was incinerated and 9% was recycled. At current production and waste management trends, approximately 12 billion tons of plastic waste will be in landfills or nature by 2050.

Various governments have introduced a charge on shopping bags. Since the introduction of the 5p charge in England, plastic bag use has plummeted by over 80%. All of the major supermarkets in the UK have introduced programmes and targets to reduce the reliance upon single-use plastics. Morrisons, however, has taken the novel decision to bring back paper bags as they are cheap, recyclable and biodegradable.

The next step will be reformulated biodegradable plastic such as PEF, and paper bags where demand still exists, such as in smaller businesses and at the fruit, dairy and meat counters.

Am I missing something here? Why one day a month instead of every day a month as they do in the real world? Tesco and others then save money by not having to provide bags at all. Or is that too difficult for them to understand? There are so many things in this country that defy any logic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

'

Actually, the bags they use DO degrade. I've stored stuff in them and when I go to them a year or two later the bags crumble into dust. The plastic problem has little to do with supermarket bags.

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

No need to coddle Thais.  In the absence of higher awareness and thinking beyond food, shelter, water, clothing, humans, Thais included, react swiftly to anything involving money out of their pocket and/or being thrown in jail.   

Just do it.  It'll change dramatically in 1 or 2 days and within a few months, it will just be the new normal.  Except the Hi-Sos. It'll be a "look at me I'm rich" status symbol to walk out of the shop with expensive plastic carrier bags, sucking a Starbucks Mochadopeafrapahoohoo through an old-school straw.  ?

Is that a play on golf ball though a garden hose type thing????

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Whoa! Cynical or not, that hadn't actually occurred to me. I just hadn't thought how shallow people might be.

What we desperately need is a non-plastic plastic bag alternative that would alleviate that.

Yes, all these VERY rich shops really should be using bio-degradable bags as a matter of course by now. It is not rocket science.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Forgive me for being cynical, but isn't this a re-hashed PR stunt that some of the big stores self-promoted almost two years ago?

We had the photo opportunity then, the spiel about their CSR, concern for the environment, etc. Then it died a death after a few weeks.

Tax plastic bags - that will reduce the usage dramatically.

A much better option:

Every little bit helps. Just wondering of the efficacy of taxing for the bags. I am thinking that the change would be so small,per bag as to be unnoticed.