Fishing boat operators issue ultimatum to govt

rooster59

Fishing boat operators issue ultimatum to govt

By The Nation

Fishing boat operators have threatened to stop going out to sea to catch fish if the government does not amend rules and make it more convenient for their business within a week.

Boonchu Paeyai, president of Phang Nga Fishing Association, held a meeting with fishing boat operators, fishing pier and large-scale fish vendors as well as representatives of local fishermen at a village hall in the Thai Muang district of Phang Nga province.

Boonchu said the meeting resolved to submit a call to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Wednesday and give the government a week to respond to their demand otherwise all the fishing operators would dock their boats.

If the government ignores their call, the fishing operators would send an appeal to His Majesty the King, Boonchu said.

Among other things, Boonchu said the fishing boat operators wanted the government to allow undocumented migrants and stateless people to register themselves as workers on fishing boats as the fishing industry still needed 50,000 more workers.

They also called on the government to speed up the purchase of fishing boats from operators who could not continue in the business because of strict measures taken by the government.

Boonchu said fishing boat operators saw the regulations issued by the Labour Protection and Welfare Department as impractical.

They also called on the Fishery Department to amend the Port-in Port-out regulations that require fishing boats to report their departure and return to ports. The fishing boat operators said the current regulations were too complicated and imposed a cost burden on them.

Boonchu said the fishing operators also resolved to object to the government’s plan to ratify the International Labour Organisation’s Convention C188 regarding work in the fishing sector, as the convention would require fishing boat operators to invest much more to improve the living conditions of fishing crew.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30350996

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-29

1 hour ago, Lungstib said:

Now wouldn't that be terrible, having to use what could be profits to improve safety, comfort and health of the people who risk their lives for us. What sort of people are these owners?

In the end they will just up the prices... this way they can keep their profit and better living conditions. It will be the normal people that pay and for some fish will no longer be affordable. Not saying the new rules are bad.. just giving a prediction without judging. They will never accept less profit.. almost no company would.. they would all pass it on. (unless of course they can't with exports) but the local market they are the only player in town.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

I'm going to hold my breathe till I get what I want.

That's sounds suspiciously like Just William's sister Violet, who also used to say "I'll scweam and scweam and make mythelf thick" (She had a lisp:-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Crikey old chap, you are dating yourself somewhat, but fortunately, many of the fothils that rethide on thith forum know exactly who you are referring to.  BTW, it's lithp.:thumbsup:

I thay! I was going to spell it "lithp" like your spelling, but was afraid it might be "Lost In Twanslation" to quote Jonathan Woss.

I'm not sure about dating myself, it sounds rather Narcissistic. Or I suppose you could my head off and count the rings - same as it works with trees?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Good idea, have a break, don't go out and let the remaining fish out there a bit of a breather from the daily onslaught...

Plus, plenty of other things to eat from the markets....

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

Crikey old chap, you are dating yourself somewhat, but fortunately, many of the fothils that rethide on thith forum know exactly who you are referring to.  BTW, it's lithp.:thumbsup:

I'm going to the garden to eat worms.  So there!!!!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, robblok said:

In the end they will just up the prices... this way they can keep their profit and better living conditions. It will be the normal people that pay and for some fish will no longer be affordable. Not saying the new rules are bad.. just giving a prediction without judging. They will never accept less profit.. almost no company would.. they would all pass it on. (unless of course they can't with exports) but the local market they are the only player in town.

This post make you seem to be more interested in the cost of fish for the consumer than rights and health or life and safety of others.

You try to give an arquement for slavery gives us good insight to your values.

On 7/29/2018 at 5:39 AM, rooster59 said:

Among other things, Boonchu said the fishing boat operators wanted the government to allow undocumented migrants and stateless people to register themselves as workers on fishing boats as the fishing industry still needed 50,000 more workers.

No one should be allowed to work unless they have a work permit. If they had that then none of them would want to work in the fishing industry because the pay and the conditions are no good. That would make the boat owners pay more, and have decent accommodations to get workers. Then of course the price of seafood would have to rise.

If the gov't has regulated fishermen out of business because they can't make a profit, then the gov't should hurry and purchase their vessels back, at a meager price. (gov'ts are good at doing this) (gov'ts are also good at regulating business's out of business)

With regard to notifying officials every time they leave or enter port! I'd say <deleted> that!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

We know a joke about that, don't we children?

( Hale and Pace )

• Haha 1