What did u bring with u before heading to bkk?

Nicolas01

12 minutes ago, tifino said:

yeah it can be a choice of either bringing 'all' or 'nothing' but the kitchen sink!

for example:

The only thing I didn't consider bringing was a complete spare replacement Front Fork (Rake) for my road treddlie!

Got smashed into by a local, who was naturally not going to give way to a cyclist...

The reality of this repair/replacement was that one cannot get a local replacement for these Forks, as falang and asian bike have different dimensions for these components (up at the head)

My Post is sort of highlighting the 'how long is a piece of string' aspect of asking such a wide ranging question! ? 

Where did you look for the replacements?   There are a number of high end bike shops that import European and other road bikes and they are not specifically sized for Thailand.  

One of my friends is the designer and founder of a bike brand called Chapter2 (from New Zealand), they are available here (and are quite popular from what I can tell)  https://th.chapter2bikes.com previously he was the chief designer for Neil Pryde Bikes http://www.neilprydebikes.com/   which I believe are also available here.   

12 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Where did you look for the replacements?

Time was a luxury I did not have... for searching; as we had a big ride day the next morning

so one has to think local think, and try fix it.

Mechanic rebuilt the thing over night, and one could not later see there had been a problem ? 

I was actually more worried really about the Araya rims! which he reformed to like-new too 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tifino said:

Time was a luxury I did not have... for searching; as we had a big ride day the next morning

so one has to think local think, and try fix it.

Mechanic rebuilt the thing over night, and one could not later see there had been a problem ? 

I was actually more worried really about the Araya rims! which he reformed to like-new too 

I think I had Araya rims on my Haro Freestyler BMX for a while, until I upgraded to Skyways ?

On 7/31/2018 at 2:13 PM, Nicolas01 said:

Thanks, but any advice on more physical stuff? Lol

Pre-moistened medicated hemorrhoidal pads/wipes...as best I've been able to determine, this product does not exist in Thailand. I've looked everywhere since I've been here, including "Lazada."  Also, "stick" type deodorant.    

8 hours ago, seancbk said:

In 2008 I brought pretty much the same.  I took the hard drives out of all my desktop computers and brought them, then bought a new desktop when I got here to put them in.

The only thing I didn't bring was a wife.

The only thing I didn't bring was a wife.

Smart move Sean

Shaving cream is expensive in BKK and so is peanut butter, wine, and ground coffee. Buy a simple coffee pot at Big C for 250 baht and leave it when your condo lease is up and buy another one when you move.

Don’t read thai Visa too much. Some good information but a lot of negative stuff not worth reading and misleading at best. Try your best to meet some Thai people to get the real information about Thailand and travel around Thailand after you have been in Bangkok for a while.

Good luck this is a fun city. 

7 hours ago, JaiLai said:

It's quite clear, it says who gets sick easily?? It was not a comparisson, just an observation.

I'm enjoying my stay ( mostly ).

I hope you adjust well when you come back.

8 hours ago, MadameM said:

Insect repellent! Mosquitoes, ants, cockroaches .... Mosquitoes can make you really sick.

Medical face masks -- if you're going to use public transportation. Many Thais will cough right in your face (I'm Thai too, don't get me wrong, but I cover my mouth when coughing) or in the air. I got bad upper-respiratory infection twice after visiting Thailand years ago.

Medication 

Hand sanitizer

Light clothes - shorts, cotton shirts

All of which can be bought here.

• Haha 1

I bring the same stuff no matter what my legnth of stay.....this 6 month stay is

1. Clothes. I bring 4  pair Columbia or RR convertible pants, 4 long sleeve Columbia PFG button down fishing shirts, NON waterproof Merrill Moab IIs, Keen Arroyo's and a few socks plus jockey travel undies and a T shirt. Anything else I buy.

2. Camera, tripod, spare batteries, misc.

3. Notebook computer, two tablets, phone, misc

4. Three stick deodorants, Hemmy wipes.Tough to find.

5. Small shaving kit with real shaving cream (Trumpers if you must know)

All of the foregoing fits nicely into an Osprey 36 litre and a Mountainsmith Lumbar. I don't have to check them either.

Of course, I got all sorts of little stuff tucked away in the bag pockets like hand sanitizer, packets of rehydration salts (for those cramping screamers on a bus somewhere), bandanas, a packet of wet wipes etc. 

Rolaids too.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I hope you adjust well when you come back.

Absolutely! Being born and raised here...

Just breathe in some air pollution, have street food - I have longed for, and I will be just fine and very happy ever after ?

Still... beware of mosquitoes- serious sickness, cockroach - bad allergy, ants -- a bit annoying.

7 hours ago, seancbk said:

Where did you look for the replacements?   There are a number of high end bike shops that import European and other road bikes and they are not specifically sized for Thailand.  

One of my friends is the designer and founder of a bike brand called Chapter2 (from New Zealand), they are available here (and are quite popular from what I can tell)  https://th.chapter2bikes.com previously he was the chief designer for Neil Pryde Bikes http://www.neilprydebikes.com/   which I believe are also available here.   

Thanks for the free commercial 

7 hours ago, seancbk said:

Anything that is imported to Thailand will probably cost you much more than you would pay at home. Anything made in Thailand will be much cheaper than at home. Also you might want to look for previous threads on this topic as it has been asked many times and is probably why you are getting more crap than advice.

22 hours ago, MadameM said:

Jailai, seriously!

You don't want to get sick on your trip or your move. Give your body a chance to adjust to the new environment - including germs and such. 

Just one year after moving to the US, I got US Flu putting me down for the whole month with no voice!

Then over a decade in the US, going back home and got so sick like a dog 'cause the body  doesn't recognize the germs there anymore.

I'll be moving back to Thailand very soon and will arm myself with all I said above -- no bad attitude! Just be prepared!

I reckon the issue is you, I travel with  very little issue unless I get a dodgy shrimp.

12 hours ago, tryasimight said:
19 hours ago, seancbk said:

It's called providing information that might help another member and possibly other people reading the thread.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I sold absolutely everything I had accumulated over 50 years, then moved here with basically one small carryon suitcase. House, car sold,  many personal items given away. Best thing I ever did.

I would bring as little as possible get a fresh start.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2018 at 11:49 AM, JaiLai said:

I have noticed a lot of Thais ( and Asians in general ) get sick very easily,  they appear to have poor immune systems.

I can confirm this, I've been reliably informed that you can catch a cold from the rain in Thailand, especially if it's cold.

13 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I sold absolutely everything I had accumulated over 50 years, then moved here with basically one small carryon suitcase. House, car sold,  many personal items given away. Best thing I ever did.

Man after my own heart. If you can't carry it,you don't need it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I can confirm this, I've been reliably informed that you can catch a cold from the rain in Thailand, especially if it's cold.

Or a change in wind direction or speed.

13 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I gave things away a great deal -- big and small, but still need one 20' cargo container to bring in my junk of remembrances. As the book says, Men are from Mars; Women are from Venus. We -- many times, see, feel, and do things differently. But my remark has nothing to do with Nicolas at all.