Less Western Expats arriving than ever before and a significant fall in working Western expats now in Thailand

webfact

21 minutes ago, Netease said:

I'm with you two

our house.jpg

Nice house and nice vistas, but if those are coconut trees, you're gonna be picking coconuts and fronds up off your driveway every time you leave the house. Only mention this because the trees look fairly recently planted.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

I have 3 friends that live in Thailand for 5 to 6 months per year. One owns a house and

wishes he did not, and if his wife leaves him or dies, he will sell and not come back to

Thailand again. One has been to Thailand for many years and rents each year and

is happy with that arrangement. The last one is a relative that hates Canadian Winters

so he is happy to live in Thailand for the weather for 6 months.

I will never buy a place as I feel like my one friend who does not go to Thailand every

Winter and likes the freedom to rent so he has no place to worry about when he

is not in the country.

Geezer

• Like 1

15 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

now,

let us assume that what you say is reasonably in line with reality

then, how come,

so many farangs are still settling here for retirement?

the stream of settlers is quite big

The weather and culture of course!!!!!

I mean, why else ?????

17 hours ago, AdamTheFarang said:

The facts you state would be enough to put off most successful people. For example in Europe you can work in any 28 countries so if you like snow to the hot beach it's all there, you can own your own business not have to have strangers having shares, stay forever and even become a citizen no stress of Visa Runs, Applications etc Thailand is 50 years behind and with Asean will eventually have to open up. Yes and then if you say something debatable about a company have the threat of jail under the Computer Crimes Act like Alan at PhuketWan went through. Then you might get wacked if you upset the wrong people...................I am done with Thailand.........

People with a brain do their research before moving here, they know the rules and what they have to do to live here. Lots of complainers about the rules always after the fact

At least some of  this reduction must be accounted for by the dramatic shrinkage in the TEFL market largely due to Brexit.

Less customers, shrinking schools, wage stagnation make Thailand a less and less popular destination for language teachers.

33 minutes ago, Disco738 said:

Many factors at work here such as the aging dying baby boomers .  Millenials and gen Xers have other places to go.   Cambodia and Viet Nam attracting more visitors.

Thailands numbers are up well thanks to the chinese , who by their pack traveling style , often offend westerners not used to them. I lived in Shenzhen and have no issues with any chinese .  Theyre also learning about western habits . 

The answer is no and no. What he did may have been immoral, unethical or reprehensible. Or for all we know it was indeed artistic.  But it was not illegal.

The content published in Wikipedia is not copyrighted in the usual sense – that is, it is not covered by the US Copyright statutes designed to protect intellectual property.  That is because contributors are required to leave their claim to copyright ownership at the door, as it were, when their text is accepted for inclusion in the Wiki “book”.

Here’s how Wikipedia describes your right to use texts published on its website:

The licenses Wikipedia uses grant free access to our content in the same sense that free software is licensed freely. Wikipedia content can be copied, modified, and redistributed if and only if the copied version is made available on the same terms to others and acknowledgment of the authors of the Wikipedia article used is included (a link back to the article is generally thought to satisfy the attribution requirement; see below for more details)*. Copied Wikipedia content will therefore remain free under appropriate license and can continue to be used by anyone subject to certain restrictions, most of which aim to ensure that freedom. This principle is known as copyleft in contrast to typical copyright licenses.

* In compliance with the terms of Wikipedia’s license I am hereby linking back to the source of the above quote: :###//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights

Contributions to Wikipedia do however come under the provisions of another body of copyright law known as the Berne Convention, but it is “formally licensed to the public under one or several liberal licenses including something called the “Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike”. You can look it up on Wikipedia but for a clear-as-crystal exposition you can read this essay by Cory Doctorow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kannot said:

It's harder finding Farang tenants for rental properties now,

10 years ago relatively easy,now its Chinese (only as a last

resort) and Thais (never again),not racist ,just good business

practice.

regards worgeordie

yep,  same thing for me .   not so easy to find a decent renter.   pretty much have to choose between

retired folks ( some ok, some a pain).....and Christian workers (generally pretty good).

Not many younger singles as before, due to immig policies.   I do not rent, rather than go the last resort

route  ?

I tried a year on a retirement visa, as an unusually young retiree, and definitely leaving this month.
I'll come back to visit, maybe even marry a Thai, IF I can find a compatible one, but I wouldn't live here for long, NOR would I want to raise my children in this society for sure.

Too many reasons, but the main ones include:
  • If you're gonna tolerate being treated the way falangs are in Thailand, there are far more cost-effective places than the "Land of Smiles"
  • Being routinely overcharged for goods and services, just because falang
  • Punctuality? What's that? :)
  • "That's how we've always done it."
  • Myriad of preposterous laws, some of which are obviously made to disadvantage and fleece falangs
  • Being expected to follow the laws and customs applicable only to falangs, but selectively also some customs that should apply only to Thais
  • Generally medieval mindset among the population, including the educated elite
    • For example, having to buy your Thai wife from her parents, or at least prove your ability and willingness to become her parents' and extended family's bank account
    • Pathological inability, even among modern young professionals to speak directly in personal or business matters
    • A kind of an unspoken caste system
    • Definitely not a society that places any value on liberty or independent thought (chaos and corruption are not liberty or even anarchy...)
  • Prejudice toward falangs, including among the educated elite
    • For example, automatically being assumed to be a sex tourist or international playboy
    • Or worse a pedo, if you're single without a girlfriend
  • Being charged kleptocratic, developed-world tax rates, which don't even provide a smooth sidewalk(if any) or working crosswalk signals in major cities
    • So many other examples...
    • Police are basically just another organized crime group, and incompetent one at that...
    • Taxi companies run by mafia, routinely cheating and ripping off falangs, and warring against better services like Grab...
  • Did I mention a Myriad of preposterous laws, some of which are specifically made to disadvantage and fleece falangs?
  • Very low level of social consciousness among the population, despite the sheeple mentality and all kinds of fake, hypocritical, ritual displays of respect for each other
  • After so many decades of falang influx, few are willing to learn any international language well, including English,  especially compared to places like Europe, and other parts of Asia even.
    • That, while naturally expecting aging falangs to invest time in learning Thai, which is more difficult and useless even a few hundred kliks East or West of Bangkok.
    • Even among those who think they speak even English and get plenty of practice with falangs or married to them, I've encountered few percent-wise who are fluent, or even exhibit much desire to be.
  • And of course: there is the myriad of preposterous laws and new ones being enacted, some of which are specifically made to disadvantage, inconvenience and fleece falangs?
  • My experience is that Thailand continues to be a kind of hermit state, which tolerates falangs only as bags of money.
That's all that comes to mind, right off the top. For sure much of that exists anywhere, and even back on our planets.
Certainly some or much of it some falangs brought upon all of us, but we can't change them or the past...
Conceding that though, no sense in dropping anchor in Thailand then either, especially at current cost of living here.

Especially after living in Thailand, I plan to live by the motto "Go where you're treated best!"
Thailand is certainly not that place in my experience.

No loss to Thailand, they have enough Mommies Boys without You.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

I've encountered quite a few farangs in Chaing Mai who wear their poverty as a badge of honor.  I don't see why people who brag about living on $500 per month would be reluctant to say so in an survey.

Bar bragging and putting things in writing/doing surveys etc are somewhat different. 

I also suspect that the "I have no money brigade" are not the types who would be contributing/signing up to Forums such as TV.

Another factor is what percentage is the number of respondents to the survey compared to the number of individuals who regularly either sign in or contribute or do both on TV.  i.e.  How representative of the total TV family is the survey?

The Thai government has already provided a solution. Once they start requiring expats to wear GPS devices, they can simply expand this to tourists. That should have them lining up at Suvarnaphumi in droves.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lake Palmer said:

interested to know who wrote that article, good stats but difficult to read

Which bit is difficult exactly.  

Just remember that it is carried out by TV readers; not serious business expats that thrive in Bangkok and generally don't 'do surveys', whine all the time and spend hours on facebook and other mindless forums so not to be taken too seriously

Surprise, Surprise !!

Could have told them the trend 5 years ago.

Many parts of Thailand will end up like Sanokville (sp) where all the local expat community are desparate

to get out if they haven't already as taken over by Chinese tourists & Chinese developments.

Just not a pleasant place to be anymore

• Like 1

17 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

The way they treat expats here with the hoop jumping and can't be a citizen or own anything even if have Thai Family is atrocious. Even if the expat wants his own business then they have to have a certain amount of Thai.  90 day reporting and virtually being considered a 3rd rate person here is just how it is. 

You are 100% correct on this.  Could not agree with you more.

17 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saladin said:

The Thai government has finally done something right. With their unfathomable maze of confusing visa requirements and restrictive work permits they have been working diligently at discouraging foreigners from living here, and it seems that they have been very successful.

It seems to me that retirees are a 'Golden Goose' source of foreign currency for Thailand. Every baht of the incoming pensions gets spent in Thailand and the country doesn't even need to lift a finger to get it, unlike from tourism or exports.

Logically, the Thai government should scrap the 800,000 baht p.a. requirement for a Retirement Visa and embark on a pro-active campaign to encourage foreigners to retire here, with the conditions that their pensions are paid directly into a Thai bank account by their social security departments, and that they take out mandatory health cover. Thailand could quickly double or triple the expat numbers. This is a win-win proposal with no downside that I can see.

terrible ideas you come up with

I'll be out of here fast as double <deleted> if something like that surfaces

12 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

I don't know why.

I live on the outskirts of bkk. Call me crazy but seven years ago there was hardly a farang. I could go a week and see one. Now they are everywhere. I suppose they aren't western or something, but the numbers surely aren't dwindling. 

Or call you someone that lives near a couple of big schools that employs South African teachers?

3 hours ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

i am 54, on a retirement visa and have noticed in the last 18 months more girlies seem to want me-show interest than before. Must be the exodus mentioned in the article. Money must be short. 555

Hello Welcome, Hansum Man?

16 hours ago, Canuckabroad said:

Drivers would often speed up when they saw me crossing the street, like I was somehow challenging them.

I've never seen this behaviour in  Thailand,  Penang on the other hand.......

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Nice house and nice vistas, but if those are coconut trees, you're gonna be picking coconuts and fronds up off your driveway every time you leave the house. Only mention this because the trees look fairly recently planted.

To me that's part of being here, you have to have something to do to get yourself off the computer for a few hours, may need a work permit to pick them up, living on a large block I doubt I will have a problem though. I wanted to put a snooker table in, but was told I would have to register it with the police, not sure what to do there

• Haha 2

I wonder if the choice to stay or move to Thailand is less about the aspects of Thailand and more a reflection of the rest of the world.

It's not that Thailand has issues, it's that everywhere else has issues too.

It becomes a question of which issues one can put up with the best.

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

That's an impressive Spirit house in your garden.

bet your wife like s that, reckon it will cost a bit for the fairy lights. :giggle:

She wanted a timber house, concrete would have been half the price, but we feel Timber is more peaceful. don't talk to me about lights, that's the next saga

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

So wrong.

I did the numbers a couple years ago when people (on this forum) were crowing about how much they were contributing to the Thai economy and the truth was, the "expat" community in Thailand (as a whole, married/single/working/legal/whatever) contributes a tiny percentage of just the tourism portion of the GDP.  Literally, we are just a drop in the bucket. Against the Thai economy as a whole - we don't even appear on the radar.

And there is a very good reason why they have that financial requirement for retirees and that is because many of them already can't afford to be here as it is ! Thailand doesn't want 5,000,000 more broke, homeless beggars flooding into the country.
It used to be that if you wanted to fly to Hawaii you had to prove you had a return ticket to the mainland as well, for the exact same reasons. People thought they could just fly there, live on a tropical beach, eat coconuts off of the trees or (whatever) and basically live for free.

Never works out that way. You just end up with a bunch of filthy, homeless bums begging on the streets and committing crimes (and filling the hospitals, jails, etc).

Thailand already has enough poor people of it's own, it certainly doesn't need to start importing them from the rest of the world. There are stories all the time already about all the broke, homeless expats living on the beaches (or wherever) in Thailand. I seriously doubt they want to make the problem worse .
And even if Thailand dropped the financial requirements and managed to double or triple (or even quintuple) the number of expat "retirees" here and those "retirees" spent all their money here, it would still be a drop in the overall bucket. Especially considering how many of those "retirees" probably don't even have any social security or other pensions, or any other funds to live on and thus would not be contributing at all to the overall GDP (but would create a massive drain on the healthcare system).

People also seem to think that it would only be people "like them" that would move here. Got a surprise for you. There's a lot of really poor people in a lot of poor countries that would also love to "retire" here with little or no money. (Mainly the ones that don't have relatives in Canada who could bring them over long enough to get them on the Old Age Pension system and then fire them back to the home country). 
Remember, if the grass is "green" for you, it is a whole lot "greener" for a whole lot of people that are even poorer than you are.

Yes ok, but that still leaves us with the basic point that retirees import monthly amounts of money way north of what the average Thai earns, and quite often make significant investments in property.  It's pure gain for Thailand.

• Like 1