RD in Bangkok Complain that my salery is to high ????

Has anybody experienced this.

I ean 60000 /Month as a technical director and sw engineeri in a thai company in Bangkok.
(15 years experience from electronic production in EU/USA)

I do not require a high salery and I only work because I like to work, so 60000 is okay with me.....

Now RD in BKK complaim that my saley is to high compared to orther Thais (I am Farrang).

To make everybody happy I have asked my boss to lower my salery to an absolute minimumum
so everybody save tax....... ( ? )

But have anybody experiences this in Thailand or do the officer at RD in bangkok just want to force
me to pay a "service fee" to be allowed to pay tax in Thailand ???

#TIT

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not sure why the Thai revenue department would make such a comment. It is really none of their business.

If you are on an extension of stay based upon working issued your salary has to be at least 50k baht if from a western country.

I come from EU so my minimum salery is 40000... ?
(But i do not mind paying less tax ?, that is okay with me... maybe i  will go and shoot a black panter and eat its private part ... or run over a police oficer so i can be real thai)

I have sent them the official list to them  so i think this is just another Thai ignorence incident because they do not know the law..

Money can easy buy you a job in TH..... So the ignorent rules....... TIT

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, BEngBKK said:

Now RD in BKK complaim that my saley is to high compared to orther Thais (I am Farrang).

Very strange!

I come from EU so my minimum salery is 40000... ?

It’s 50K (European countries) if you have permission to stay based on your work.

I thnik I will change my business visa to a non-O so i can have a salery of 0 baht and not have to cause any problem to the Thai government

Changing your permission to stay (non ‘O’), if you’re the spouse or parent of a Thai, is a good idea regardless of your salary issue. However, working and not paying any tax could equally upset the RD!

51 minutes ago, elviajero said:

It’s 50K (European countries) if you have permission to stay based on your work.

Not all of them. For those from eastern European countries it is 35k baht. See number 3 in my earlier post.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not sure why the Thai revenue department would make such a comment. It is really none of their business.

If you are on an extension of stay based upon working issued by immigration your salary has to be at least 50k baht if from a western country.

My wife works for the Revenue Dept. and agrees with you Joe. She said no employee has the right to compare anyone's salary. In addition, a RD employee does not have any statistics on salaries by job category.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Very strange that would not even qualify someone for a retirement Visa.

Why is it strange? 

It is above the minimum salary requirement for an extension of stay based upon working.

If Thais are successfully doing your job how did you get a work permit ?

The Revenue Dept where I file has never questioned the declaration amount in 27 years &

why would they care as long as you declare it all ?

I think there is an underlying question to your post, Spit it out !!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

If Thais are successfully doing your job how did you get a work permit ?

The Revenue Dept where I file has never questioned the declaration amount in 27 years &

why would they care as long as you declare it all ?

I think there is an underlying question to your post, Spit it out !!!

Same comment, about same overall time period, never one had a comment or query.

Edited by scorecard

7 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

as anybody experienced this.

I ean 60000 /Month as a technical director and sw engineeri in a thai company in Bangkok.

I do not require a high salery and I only work because I like to work, so 60000 is okay with me.....

First, if they lower your salary, it could actually trigger Revenue Department scrutiny.  I have never heard  of the Revenue Department complaining about salaries being too high.  Salaries here are taxed at steep progressive rates. But the Revenue Department (or Immigration, etc.) could start poking around in the company's files if your salary is reduced.  That is what will trigger suspicion.

Second, unless you agree to the reduction, the reduction amounts to a termination and you are entitled to mandatory statutory severance.  We have employees at my company we would love to sack or reduce their salaries,  but the severance entitlement deters us from doing so.  I wouldn't agree to any pay reduction.

60,000 baht is not high. Engineers I have worked with and who have worked in Thailand have had well over Baht 300k and some Baht 400k. Personally I think this is too low but it is what it is

• Like 1

Does anyone think, like me, that it's just some jealous self important person who thinks/believes that no-one should earn more than they do because they have a nice uniform?

I remember a good few years ago my wife was filling out a form in an office and she was required to fill in her salary figure. The female officer checked it and pushed it back saying 'don't be silly dear, it asks for monthly salary, not yearly' I had to leave quickly because I didn't want to be a witness to the reaction from my wife.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Horace said:

First, if they lower your salary, it could actually trigger Revenue Department scrutiny.  I have never heard  of the Revenue Department complaining about salaries being too high.  Salaries here are taxed at steep progressive rates. But the Revenue Department (or Immigration, etc.) could start poking around in the company's files if your salary is reduced.  That is what will trigger suspicion.

Second, unless you agree to the reduction, the reduction amounts to a termination and you are entitled to mandatory statutory severance.  We have employees at my company we would love to sack or reduce their salaries,  but the severance entitlement deters us from doing so.  I wouldn't agree to any pay reduction.

Check labour law and as you say, unless by mutual agreement, they cannot reduce your salary.

Revenue department don't come into it. It has nothing to do with them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

But have anybody experiences this in Thailand or do the officer at RD in bangkok just want to force
me to pay a "service fee" to be allowed to pay tax in Thailand ???

I think the words "service Fee" sums up the issue,  best bet is to ask your Thai friends if they have a relative of significant rank that can help you, and let him/her have a quiet talk with the Revenue Agent that is communicating with you, i sure it will all turn out to be a misunderstanding and will go away.

13 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

"Now RD in BKK complaim that my saley is to high compared to orther Thais (I am Farrang)".

Without a doubt that can only be complete nonsense.