McLaren super car owner may have to seek recompense from pick-up driver

webfact

McLaren super car owner may have to seek recompense from pick-up driver

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A leading insurance spokesman commented in the Thai media after a 30 million baht McLaren 720s was rear ended by a pick-up truck.

Insurers' association chief Jeeraphon Atsawathanakul said that if they both went down the insurance route the insurance would only cover the agreed limit.

If it was more then the McLaren driver would have to take the pick-up driver to court for the remainder.

This is assuming they are both insured.

The McLaren is one of only three such cars on the road in Thailand.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-14

Many cars on Thailand roads are without damage insurance and those who has any are limited to what the injured party can claim, anywhere from few tens of thousand baht to couple of hundred thousands, learned that the hard way...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

As much as I'd love to drive a McLaren around, I wouldn't be doing it in a country where so many people can't drive and don't have insurance. Doesn't matter how much money I have. 

Totally agree.

A classmate of mine drove a Porsche and everytime plans came up to go somewhere to eat or go out he had to pass because he couldnt park his car safely there.

He was limited to supercar parking in hi-so shopping malls and all everything else wasn't an option.

Pre-emptively: And no, it was not an excuse cause I was there.

The guy's driving a status symbol.  Any compensation should be capped at reasonable and normal for the average car on the road.  Accidents happen, but no one can insure against hitting a Hi-So's multi-million THB super-car.  It's insanity to think otherwise.

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

most expensive car ive owned here was a subaru impreza sti 2015. just shy of 4m with all the bits and pcs. it was destroyed by some idiot that attacked it with a buffer with a worn out wheel. big gash! couldnt wash it myself because of the gypsum, calcium and whatever in the bangkok water at the time. one wash meant i needed to clean it with vinegar and the story goes on like this forever and a day. petrol drops all down the car, people leaning on the spolier, police danglig keys on the door having a sticky beak, etc, etc... in the western world these cars arent cheap but i tell you i wont buy another one taxed up car. my revo does the job nicely with ripped seats and dings all round and even some rust in the bonnet already only after 2yrs but i could careless. i treat it like everybody else treats it and there country. like sht!

Here is the real question , which garage has the skills and materials to fix one of only 3 cars in Thailand ? And how long would be the wait if parts need to be ordered?

i am guessing insurance would also have hard time assessing the damage and cost to fix when there are only 3 of this in the country and it might be the first to get damaged 

Edited by BestB

8 hours ago, mercman24 said:

yes its the usual Thailand thing, no licence, no insurance, if i can scale it down a bit,  a  farang in our complex has a scooter that was last taxed ,   6 years ago

Oh I say that just not cricket is it!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

If he can afford the car...he can afford the repairs.  He knew the risks of posing in a car like that in this country of brainless drivers !

Not necessarily so.. and why should he? thats what he has insurance for. 

That said, why should insurance premiums for the many be elevated by someone who who wants an expensive car?... there has to be a balance...

Because the McLaren is so expensive; above xxxx value, perhaps the Pickup drivers insurance covers the damage to the McLaren up to its limit and the insurance on the McLaren covers the rest. 

Either way - its not quite as black and white as the issue would initially seem, the pickup driver made a mistake, albeit a stupid one and there is no doubt that the accident is his fault. But it is not the Pickup drivers fault that another vehicle on the road is so expensive. 

I think it would be extremely unfair to be personally penalized by a significantly greater amount because I had an accident with a 30MB super-car than a 700k Toyota - But, thats why I have insurance and I don't expect there to be any limit on 3rd party payout for repairs (I'll have to check my policy). 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BestB said:

Here is the real question , which garage has the skills and materials to fix one of only 3 cars in Thailand ? And how long would be the wait if parts need to be ordered?

i am guessing insurance would also have hard time assessing the damage and cost to fix when there are only 3 of this in the country and it might be the first to get damaged 

No surprise if it ends up back at McLarens in UK .. Mr Beans F1 went back to there for a year long rebuild that cost £900,000 after the last time it was stacked .. Atkinson's insurance premium on it after that shunt were reputed to be £60,000 ..