Don't drink and drive

jonwilly

43 minutes ago, vogie said:

Most of the Thais I know don't drink alcohol, them that do will not if they are driving. You are moving in the wrong circles. 

yes sure, most Thai are not heavy drinkers, rich or poor ! You must be living in your dreams...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, gaff said:

yes sure, most Thai are not heavy drinkers, rich or poor ! You must be living in your dreams...

Don't you think by saying "It would appear to me that everyone driving here is drunk. They don't know how to drive...period." is a very sweeping statement. A lot of people might think you are ignorant and arrogant. But not me though. ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

I think elephant45 was commenting on the way people drive, not saying they were drinking, just their driving makes them appear as if they were.

Still an arrogantly discourteous generalized slandering "grenade" aimed directly at the Thai people....If it's that bad for him 

maybe he should find roads to drive in different country....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Still an arrogantly discourteous generalized slandering "grenade" aimed directly at the Thai people....If it's that bad for him 

maybe he should find roads to drive in different country....

yes you are right ! Thai are the best drivers who put the most attention in anything they do ! They are the safest on the planet and nobody dies on Thai roads ! Thank you for your insight !

And don't forget your new costume:

Image result for clown costume

Thai cops don't pull over DUI's from observation; they set up check points. Many of these people would not "appear" to be drunk; they simply "test" under the influence.

As far as Thai drivers' habits are concerned, they don't appear "drunk". They simply have little awareness, or consideration, of the bigger picture; they simply react to what is immediately in front of them, with no sense of "defensive" driving.

Actually, most drive quite aggressively. Tailgating, pulling into oncoming traffic, and dodging in and out of lanes is common practice.

Edited by Curt1591
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 7:54 AM, Loaded said:

I've never had an accident while drinking and driving. I am as safe as most sober drivers after a few beers.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That is what 17 year old's say.

People who think this are extremely naive any impairment whatsoever is being very irresponsible and could cause an accident harming others.

I would do some research on how "a few beers" can cause impairment.

Buzzed driving is serious business. Grow up!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

People who think this are extremely naive any impairment whatsoever is being very irresponsible and could cause an accident harming others.

So true !

Teens and old alcoholics !

Even after 1 joint of weed people are not 100%, but as they usually drive at 20km/h in city, they are usually safer than anybody who had a drink.

Anyone who has spent time in a drunk tank has observed three things - everyone in there only had a couple drinks, they are not drunk, and the cop that arrested them is the problem.

I guess it's just a matter of perception ....

• Like 2

my comment was to be taken lightly, as the poor habits of many driving here end up causing a lot of problems. I have driven with a lot of very courteous Thai drivers. Don't take it too seriously, but when I am on a busy road and someone simply stops in the left lane and cannot decide if they want to pull into a parking lot / shop / store or having a  pickup1 mtr behind me for no reason what soever, going 100kph well it think you get  the point.

• Confused 1

On 8/19/2018 at 9:58 PM, elephant45 said:

It would appear to me that everyone driving here is drunk. They don't know how to drive...period.

Could it be that you are drunk and everyone else is driving ok? (dont get upset I am just joking)

Edited by upu2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It might be what you and 17 year old's say, but I've been driving for 35 years without an accident. According to you I'm naive - lol.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Loaded said:

It might be what you and 17 year old's say, but I've been driving for 35 years without an accident. According to you I'm naive - lol.

Sounds like you are and have been lucky

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loaded said:

Yes; we understand you can toss em back and drive live Jackie Stuart. However, the laws are made to discourage those that can't.

I have been driving for over 50 years. Because of work, I have logged well over 2 million miles.

The only accidents I ever had were in my teens, when I was driving like a maniac. In my early twenties, I spent over 4 years without a single sober day. During those years, I never had a single accident. So, I guess I must drive better when drinking!

To me, stating "I'm Ok to drive", after drinking, is right up there with "It's OK, it's not loaded."

• Haha 1

Yes; we understand you can toss em back and drive live Jackie Stuart. However, the laws are made to discourage those that can't.

I have been driving for over 50 years. Because of work, I have logged well over 2 million miles.

The only accidents I ever had were in my teens, when I was driving like a maniac. In my early twenties, I spent over 4 years without a single sober day. During those years, I never had a single accident. So, I guess I must drive better when drinking!

To me, stating "I'm Ok to drive", after drinking, is right up there with "It's OK, it's not loaded."
Never heard of Jackie Stuart. Is he a dangerous driver?

However, Jackie Stewart was pretty good. I've driven like him before.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 8/21/2018 at 3:16 PM, Loaded said:

yeh, just a few million Km and 35 years of driving 'lucky'

In many ways we are lucky....I knew a beautiful young gal that worked in our office....On the way home one day she was stuck in the left (center) lane in stop & go traffic.....

A car on the oncoming traffic side hit the 6 ft high center barrier flipped over it landing on this gals car killing her instantly = she was just sitting there in traffic.....Los Angeles traffic...

Don't ever discount the luck or the timing in life.....

Somebody once said "you have to learn to think lucky to be lucky" - there's some truth in that....

In spite of all our planning, swagger,  & precautions, some people are just unfortunate enough to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.....

• Like 1

"I am as safe as most sober drivers after a few beers."

What constitutes that "few"? What happens with "a few beers" plus one or two?  Since you believe you can safely drink and drive after a "few", what do you do when you have gone over that "few"? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

"I am as safe as most sober drivers after a few beers."

What constitutes that "few"? What happens with "a few beers" plus one or two?  Since you believe you can safely drink and drive after a "few", what do you do when you have gone over that "few"? 

I wouldn't even waste my time commenting what some ridiculous people shouldn't even dare to tell if they didn't want to look stupid. A few is what alcoholic think, and they deserve to be jailed if driving drunk. Nothing else to do.

I like to drink and take drug, but AT HOME, not on the roads, anybody who cannot understand this shouldn't have a license.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gaff said:

I wouldn't even waste my time commenting what some ridiculous people shouldn't even dare to tell if they didn't want to look stupid. A few is what alcoholic think, and they deserve to be jailed if driving drunk. Nothing else to do.

I like to drink and take drug, but AT HOME, not on the roads, anybody who cannot understand this shouldn't have a license.

I appreciate your honesty and good decision staying home could careless what people do in their homes.

I had a college buddy decapitated by a drunk driver many years ago and swore it off.

Duh, leave your transport locked up and get a 5 dollar taxi. Please, it ain't worth it..

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 12:17 PM, ThaiPauly said:

This is what I call GOOD police work and the heavy fines might teach the youngsters not to chance it again...catch a bus!

Which bus?  They all disappear by the time bars close.    Or even when you leave early then you can't get even slightly out of town.

On 8/17/2018 at 6:29 PM, upu2 said:

What is the purpose of the OP? Are we meant to feel sorry for the guy who got caught because if we are it has failed miserably. I am guessing there must be something the OP was trying to elicit for the members but

I think you can just decide for yourself how you want to feel at any time about any topic.

On 8/17/2018 at 7:14 PM, LeoTex said:

I'm sure is it was a foreigner, the charge would be a whole more than the 15,000 baht.

No.  6000-15,000 seems to be the range.   It very often means a night in a police cell too.

On 8/18/2018 at 5:30 AM, Loaded said:

So, if a foreigner is convicted of dui, is their visa status affected?

No.

On 8/18/2018 at 8:54 AM, possum1931 said:

Would you say that to someone who has a family member killed by a drunk driver, or even

someone who is over the limit? I wonder.

Yes.   (Not everyone starts driving like a lunatic after 2-3 beers.  In fact, many people drive more carefully. )

On 8/18/2018 at 3:59 PM, luther said:

America has continued to lower the allowable blood-alcohol level.  Even with very strict limits, the average male (175 pounds, 80 kg) does not fail after drinking 2 beers, and most do not fail after 3. 

Take a look at the volume of beer in a big bottle of Leo.  It does not compare to 2-3 glasses of Bud.

On 8/19/2018 at 5:52 AM, gaff said:

Let everybody smoke weed and roads will be safer ❤️

LOL!!    Because driving while high is much better?     (Scariest experience of my life.)

On 8/19/2018 at 7:46 AM, Curt1591 said:

Not to mention the battered housewives ...

While doing anything while on weed is scary as hell, I don't think it's likely to make you want to beat people up.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Which bus?  They all disappear by the time bars close.    Or even when you leave early then you can't get even slightly out of town.

I think you can just decide for yourself how you want to feel at any time about any topic.

No.  6000-15,000 seems to be the range.   It very often means a night in a police cell too.

No.

Yes.   (Not everyone starts driving like a lunatic after 2-3 beers.  In fact, many people drive more carefully. )

Take a look at the volume of beer in a big bottle of Leo.  It does not compare to 2-3 glasses of Bud.

LOL!!    Because driving while high is much better?     (Scariest experience of my life.)

While driving on weed is scary as hell, I don't think it's likely to make you want to beat people up.

So many people drive more carefully after one or two beers?? Rubbish, what about their reflexes? Some may drive more slowly, but what about other traffic? Lots of people are dead because of other people driving or riding after only "one or two beers".

• Like 2

On 8/23/2018 at 3:27 PM, ThaiPauly said:

I could not get the wooden brakes right at the driving test place I kept failing , in the end they just waved me through to the video room........what would my reflexes be like with alcohol inside me, I hate to think!!

You'll do it with your heart instead of your brain.  It's like using The Force; the light switch is operated by a person, then the light flips on, then you start to process a response, and only then you muscles move.   

If you have two beers first you'll be able to get inside that person's head and you'll 'feel' when she flips the switch before she even does it.  Then you hit that wooden pedal virtually the same instant the electrons start flowing to the light.

• Like 2