Even at 38 baht to the pound most retirees won’t and cannot leave Thailand

webfact

Simoh1490

2 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Insurance premiums are based on actuarial tables and risk, they increase substantially with age, index linking those premiums to age 90 for a male means those premiums would be extremely expensive hence

Well I did mention that the required deposit might deter some expats. I also mentioned that I have worked in the UK as a manager in the Life and Pensions industry (several household names) and worked in Thailand with one of the best known Financial Services companies.

I am happy with my return, and you are happy with yours. Great, we're both happy ? Have a nice day.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

We do, but they don't work in "Offices" and they are not called "Doctors" either

Careful...a Dental Surgeon (or any other Surgeon)  in the UK is titled "Mister" but if a Dentist has a doctorate, (s)he's titled "Doctor" - mine is a Doctor, but your'e correct to say we have doctors and dentists surgeries, not offices.

5 hours ago, Expatwannabee said:

A pensioner in the UK still has to pay for NHS dental treatment unless they are claiming means tested benefits, which then qualify them for free treatment. I'm not sure if it is still the case but at one point it was difficult to find an NHS dentist accepting new patients. Most seem to prefer private clients.  

Still the case which is why I have specific dental insurance because anything else i get on the NHS with an option to go private if I want to - dental work is all private.

I think it’s fantastic people can survive here on 25k pm.

I spend about that on groceries and dog food per month, no fancy Falang products either...

Only me and the better half & 5 dogs.

I owe nothing on either of my vehicle or 3 bikes and nothing on the house.

Electric 6-7k a month / true 3k / internet 1k / maid 10k / fuel 10k

All in I’d say 120 - 150k a month, not much extravagance.

25k a month minus rent and bills truly amazes me.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

I think it’s fantastic people can survive here on 25k pm.

I spend about that on groceries and dog food per month, no fancy Falang products either...

Only me and the better half & 5 dogs.

I owe nothing on either of my vehicle or 3 bikes and nothing on the house.

Electric 6-7k a month / true 3k / internet 1k / maid 10k / fuel 10k

All in I’d say 120 - 150k a month, not much extravagance.

25k a month minus rent and bills truly amazes me.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Electric 6-7k a month? I assume that you never turn of your aircons? My electric bill with 2 aircons is around 2 k thb per month 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Electric 6-7k a month? I assume that you never turn of your aircons? My electric bill with 2 aircons is around 2 k thb per month 

Naam will be around shortly to thoroughly impress you with his 18k monthly electric bills.  ?

1 hour ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

When it begins getting hot there's normally 1 on all the time, sometimes 2.

In the cooler months bills between 3-4K.

8 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

TBH I don't know why you bothered posting in this thread when all you have to offer is scant specifics about some anonymous product somewhere which doesn't seem viable and that is too expensive for most people to buy! You have however reminded us that you were once a insurance salesman manager in Life and Pensions three times,  you can stop now, we know.

I have never been a salesman for insurance or anything else. I was a manager in Life and Pensions in the UK with a couple of household names, and I have worked for one of the most well known Thai Financial Services companies.

I have already explained that these products have subscription periods, as do investment products in the UK, and the subscription period for my main product closed several years ago. Giving you the name of that product wouldn't help you in the slightest. And anyway, your aggressive stance is obviously not going to inspire much sympathy.

4 hours ago, Airalee said:
5 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Naam will be around shortly to thoroughly impress you with his 18k monthly electric bills.

my bills vary a lot between 10k and 20k depending on season. average per month is 14k.

by the way... not impressive are comments such as

My electric bill with 2 aircons is around 2 k thb per month

it's like claiming "one of my cars uses 13.5 liters of gasoline per month" without the info how many km are driven per month. yawn...  :coffee1:

Our house electricity bill is usually 1,800 to 2,000 baht per month. This is for a large detached house. We both work, so we are not around all day, and my Thai partner prefers not to use a-c in the main living room.

I seem to remember that when I stayed in a rented studio when I first arrived, the bill was about 1,000 per month, but that probably included whatever surcharge the condo or the owner charged.

9 hours ago, VBF said:

Still the case which is why I have specific dental insurance because anything else i get on the NHS with an option to go private if I want to - dental work is all private.

Not if you're claiming any sort of benefit, then it's all free.

9 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

If you don't mind me asking, where is all that electricity going? Heating a swimming pool? Plugging in an electric car? It seems really high.

Noooo, he has naughty neighbours....?......?

21 hours ago, Airalee said:

I’m sure all the fabulously wealthy contributors here will still find a way to look down their noses rather than just being happy for those of us who don’t breathe the same rarified air.

21 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Yes but are they in central Pattaya?
Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes we are.

1 hour ago, My Thai Life said:
2 hours ago, Naam said:

my bills vary a lot between 10k and 20k depending on season. average per month is 14k.

If you don't mind me asking, where is all that electricity going? Heating a swimming pool? Plugging in an electric car? It seems really high.

none of the above. our pool is heated by solar energy, our cars run on gasoline and diesel. the energy consuming gadgets are 17 aircons, washer, dryer, 3 freezers, 5 fridges, pool pump, solar pump pond pump, deep well pump, irrigation pump, home water supply pumps, outdoor/indoor lighting, 4 TVs, 3 PCs, a fistful of laptops with external monitors...

3 minutes ago, Naam said:

none of the above. our pool is heated by solar energy, our cars run on gasoline and diesel. the energy consuming gadgets are 17 aircons, washer, dryer, 3 freezers, 5 fridges, pool pump, solar pump pond pump, deep well pump, irrigation pump, home water supply pumps, outdoor/indoor lighting, 4 TVs, 3 PCs, a fistful of laptops with external monitors...

Sounds like Butlin's holiday camp matey....?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Naam said:

the energy consuming gadgets are 17 aircons, washer, dryer, 3 freezers, 5 fridges, pool pump, solar pump pond pump, deep well pump, irrigation pump, home water supply pumps, outdoor/indoor lighting, 4 TVs, 3 PCs, a fistful of laptops with external monitors...

Thanks for your reply. Is this household usage or business-household usage?

11 minutes ago, Naam said:

What!

No phone chargers.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Naam said:

Just curious do all these things work at the same time? Or is run on demand as needed?

• Haha 1

I support the idea that a Brexit deal will be agreed before year end and that Sterling will recover, Bloomberg this morning agrees:

‘Buy Sterling’

ECU Group Chief Executive Officer and Brexiteer Michael Petley says the U.K. currency is undervalued “by almost any single measure.” Any temporary decline in sterling between now and the U.K.’s exit will be compensated for by its appreciation in the long term, he said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-20/asia-futures-mixed-dollar-falls-on-trump-remarks-markets-wrap

• Like 1