Best Sunday roast dinners in lower Sukhumvit?

RickG16

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Apologies as I've just seen there are a few threads on this already..... Looks like the Kiwi Pub has unanimously good reviews! Will head there unless there is somewhere similar nearer to soi 26....

Kiwi Sunday Roast was cold when I went there 1 month back.

My mate couldnt eat his and sent it back, I perceived with one plate and we left !

We were there about 1pm. I find Sportsman Soi 13 pretty good currently....

(But as carvery's go, I do miss Londoner and MollyMalones in Silom!)

35 minutes ago, Clifford S said:

Kiwi Sunday Roast was cold when I went there 1 month back.

My mate couldnt eat his and sent it back, I perceived with one plate and we left !

We were there about 1pm. I find Sportsman Soi 13 pretty good currently....

(But as carvery's go, I do miss Londoner and MollyMalones in Silom!)

It's a carvery, so they shouldn't have any problems keeping the meat hot??!!

Tell me more about the Robin Hood roast dinner... is this carvery or straight from the kitchen....

Cheers

17 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

It's a carvery, so they shouldn't have any problems keeping the meat hot??!!

Tell me more about the Robin Hood roast dinner... is this carvery or straight from the kitchen....

Cheers

Agreed re Carvery, let me know if you try it and its hot then OK !!!!

Robin Hood, sorry havent been there yet, was recommended by a  friend

I've spent plenty of time researching Sunday Roasts online, still find Sportsman hard to beat ...

1 hour ago, Clifford S said:

Agreed re Carvery, let me know if you try it and its hot then OK !!!!

Robin Hood, sorry havent been there yet, was recommended by a  friend

I've spent plenty of time researching Sunday Roasts online, still find Sportsman hard to beat ...

Sportsman does look pretty good, especially for 199B. Only downside is no choice of roast lamb, which I really did fancy today. 

Would be disappointed if the Kiwi pub couldn't muster a good roast lamb!

Not found a good one yet. Gave up after trying a few that were supposed to be good but that were average at best. Roast potatoes have always been a disaster, Yorkshire's not far behind, thick and gooey. Meat I've also found to be of so so quality, not particularly well cooked and quite fatty / slimy. That's not exclusive to Thailand though. Most western pubs I've eaten in seem only capable of serving up a school dinner type meal, with just a few notable exceptions. One of those things that I def find the DIY approach better, just can't be asked mostly, so just get by without them.

Agree some of the hotels do exceptional buffets but even then, not on the roast side, plus I find I'm rarely hungry enough here to make them value for money. The lamb chops at Atelier are pretty good though.

Sent using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Sportsman does look pretty good, especially for 199B. Only downside is no choice of roast lamb, which I really did fancy today. 

Would be disappointed if the Kiwi pub couldn't muster a good roast lamb!

Sportsman's B199 roast beef plate is ok, but nothing special...not a large portion.  The cheap price is offset though by very high beverage prices...even a bottle of plain water was B60.

Royal Oak on Suk.  33/1 has roast dinners (not buffet style) that are ok.  Roast beef was plentiful though rather dry. Plentiful vegetables and Yorkshire pudding. Roast beef dinner was in the B400 range as I recall.

For those who like roast lamb and don't mind a bit of a trip past On Nut, there is a small restaurant on Sukhumvit 101/1 (between Punnawati & Udom Suk) called 101 Restaurant, almost opposite soi-4, about 100 yards down 101/1.  It's small so easy to walk past.

Sundays, they serve a very well prepared and tasty roast lamb dinner (B375) with roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and mixed veggies.  Not a huge portion but decently sized. They also have roast beef and chicken available. It's a very pleasant, small family style place with a terrace out back for cooler days.

8 hours ago, RickG16 said:

From the kitchen.

They have beef, lamb or pork, or you can order a giant plate which comes with all those meats on it, plus chicken.

Ended up at Kiwi. V good size portions as you'd expect from a carvery. But the problem is they keep the lid on the roast potatoes and yorkshires, meaning they are soggy rather than crispy!

Not bad overall but will definitely check somewhere else out next time.

6 hours ago, dddave said:

For those who like roast lamb and don't mind a bit of a trip past On Nut, there is a small restaurant on Sukhumvit 101/1 (between Punnawati & Udom Suk) called 101 Restaurant, almost opposite soi-4, about 100 yards down 101/1.  It's small so easy to walk past.

Sundays, they serve a very well prepared and tasty roast lamb dinner (B375) with roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and mixed veggies.  Not a huge portion but decently sized. They also have roast beef and chicken available. It's a very pleasant, small family style place with a terrace out back for cooler days.

That's Peter's place - ex-manager of Bobby's Arms on Pong II for those who remember it. Can't recommend highly enough - good English-style food and relaxing ambiance in the garden out back.

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2018 at 8:52 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Marriott Marquis (Sukhumvit 22) - Sunday Brunch.... Possibly one of the best brunches in town.

brilliant! The OP asked for best value Sunday roasts and you quote him one that costs 1,800 baht?

On 8/26/2018 at 2:03 PM, SooKee said:

Gave up after trying a few that were supposed to be good but that were average at best. Roast potatoes have always been a disaster, Yorkshire's not far behind, thick and gooey. 

spot on - I think they try to keep prices down but quality suffers - esp agree re the roast potatoes and Yorkshire puds
Pattaya roasts are better quality and cheaper ????

On 8/26/2018 at 3:56 PM, RickG16 said:

Ended up at Kiwi. V good size portions as you'd expect from a carvery. But the problem is they keep the lid on the roast potatoes and yorkshires, meaning they are soggy rather than crispy!

agree again - I thought it was good value considering you're allowed to go back for a 2nd plate - but I was disappointed that a place called the Kiwi pub served every meat except lamb
and the food was ok, not great ????

thought I'd add my tuppence worth, since this is such a good thread
I popped down to the 101 restaurant in Sukhumvit 101/1, since it's near my condo
Good points: the meat was meaty, not chewy or fatty as 1-2 other places - Yorkshire pud pre-cooked and sitting on shelf when I arrived - but still better than other places
portion plenty big enough - the major plus was the courtyard/garden setting, such a pleasant change from a noisy pub - big San Miguel Light well priced at 125 baht
Not so good points: the meat was cold, warm at best - there were only 2 other diners there when I arrived, so no excuse for that - the roast tatties were OK, not great and mint sauce OK but seemed a bit diluted
Overall: same quality as Kiwi pub but only 1 plate for 375, instead of Kiwi's 2 plates for 395
Bottom line: a handy alternative for locals in upper Suk and for lovers of lamb - but not worth the extra distance for those in lower Suk area101a.jpg.dfc0bf5893af9fea34eb6d8e655c18b3.jpg101b.jpg.31ede8022f557bc15a11a6fff37635c2.jpg

• 8 months later...
On 8/26/2018 at 12:11 PM, phil2407 said:

Hanrahans Sukhumvit soi 4 (Nana) great Sunday roast - choice of 3 meats I think - Yorkshire pudding red wine gravy - very tasty 

It is now called Fitzsimmons I think. The Roast beef lunch was excellent and included a free pint of beer.

• 4 weeks later...

Any current (July 2019) updates on good affordable Sunday Roast lunch deals?

We'd be coming from Phrakhanong area by BTS. Have Royal Oak or Robin Hood on the list, but can't see any recent updates on their FB sites (and Royal Oak website is not working)
Noted on the Suk 101 above, is this still going?

cheers

On 10/28/2018 at 7:57 PM, pomozki said:

thought I'd add my tuppence worth, since this is such a good thread
I popped down to the 101 restaurant in Sukhumvit 101/1, since it's near my condo
Good points: the meat was meaty, not chewy or fatty as 1-2 other places - Yorkshire pud pre-cooked and sitting on shelf when I arrived - but still better than other places
portion plenty big enough - the major plus was the courtyard/garden setting, such a pleasant change from a noisy pub - big San Miguel Light well priced at 125 baht
Not so good points: the meat was cold, warm at best - there were only 2 other diners there when I arrived, so no excuse for that - the roast tatties were OK, not great and mint sauce OK but seemed a bit diluted
Overall: same quality as Kiwi pub but only 1 plate for 375, instead of Kiwi's 2 plates for 395
Bottom line: a handy alternative for locals in upper Suk and for lovers of lamb - but not worth the extra distance for those in lower Suk area101a.jpg.dfc0bf5893af9fea34eb6d8e655c18b3.jpg101b.jpg.31ede8022f557bc15a11a6fff37635c2.jpg

Kiwi also sells san mig light by the pint 125 baht 24/7.  Bit smaller than your bottle but its draught

21 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

Any current (July 2019) updates on good affordable Sunday Roast lunch deals?

We'd be coming from Phrakhanong area by BTS. Have Royal Oak or Robin Hood on the list, but can't see any recent updates on their FB sites (and Royal Oak website is not working)
Noted on the Suk 101 above, is this still going?

cheers

Scruffy McMurphy's pub on Suk Soi 23 just opposite the back end of Soi Cowboy has a Sunday Roast lunch from 11:30 am to ?????  for 320 baht++, with your choice of beef, pork or chicken I believe.  The quality of their meat isn't that great, but the price is OK and the overall meal plate (it's not a buffet) isn't bad. Comes with mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, a cauliflower/cheese square, some broccoli and carrots, and a couple of Yorkshire pudding pieces, and gravy of course.

It's always very quiet when the wife and I are there on early Sunday afternoons.

20 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Scruffy McMurphy's pub on Suk Soi 23 just opposite the back end of Soi Cowboy has a Sunday Roast lunch from 11:30 am to ?????  for 320 baht++, with your choice of beef, pork or chicken I believe.  The quality of their meat isn't that great, but the price is OK and the overall meal plate (it's not a buffet) isn't bad. Comes with mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, a cauliflower/cheese square, some broccoli and carrots, and a couple of Yorkshire pudding pieces, and gravy of course.

It's always very quiet when the wife and I are there on early Sunday afternoons.

I tried the Sunday roast at Scruffy McMurphy's a few weeks ago and though it is one of the least expensive full roast dinners around at 320Baht which includes a draft beer, I was pretty disappointed.  I've eaten at this restaurant four of five times previously and always had a good meal so made a special trip specifically to try the Sunday Roast.

Got off to a bad start. On a Sunday afternoon around 4 pm, it wasn't very busy, less than half full yet my order took nearly 30 minutes to arrive and was barely warm.

First thing I couldn't understand is why the kitchen had slathered everything on the plate with gravy.  I know from past visits that they have individual gravy pitchers, why not leave gravy distribution up to the customer? 

The serving of roast beef was an ample portion but it was a dull brown-grey, not a hint of pink. It truly appeared as if it had been microwaved a couple of minutes too long.  It tasted that way as well; dry, cardboardy and tasteless.  The Yorkshire pudding was soggy and cold, the roast potatoes had a nice roasted color but no crispness.  The mixed vegetables; Cauliflower, broccoli, peas & carrots were a bit on the "al dente" side but that's better than cooked to mush. Mashed potatoes were ok.

The staff is amiable and welcoming and the manager has several times introduced himself on past visits so I have the sense that they do care about their food.  I hate having to give them such a negative review but clearly, at least as far as Sunday Roast's go, somebody's not paying attention.

32 minutes ago, dddave said:

I tried the Sunday roast at Scruffy McMurphy's a few weeks ago and though it is one of the least expensive full roast dinners around at 320Baht which includes a draft beer, I was pretty disappointed.  I've eaten at this restaurant four of five times previously and always had a good meal so made a special trip specifically to try the Sunday Roast.

Got off to a bad start. On a Sunday afternoon around 4 pm, it wasn't very busy, less than half full yet my order took nearly 30 minutes to arrive and was barely warm.

First thing I couldn't understand is why the kitchen had slathered everything on the plate with gravy.  I know from past visits that they have individual gravy pitchers, why not leave gravy distribution up to the customer? 

The serving of roast beef was an ample portion but it was a dull brown-grey, not a hint of pink. It truly appeared as if it had been microwaved a couple of minutes too long.  It tasted that way as well; dry, cardboardy and tasteless.  The Yorkshire pudding was soggy and cold, the roast potatoes had a nice roasted color but no crispness.  The mixed vegetables; Cauliflower, broccoli, peas & carrots were a bit on the "al dente" side but that's better than cooked to mush. Mashed potatoes were ok.

The staff is amiable and welcoming and the manager has several times introduced himself on past visits so I have the sense that they do care about their food.  I hate having to give them such a negative review but clearly, at least as far as Sunday Roast's go, somebody's not paying attention.

I've had their Sunday roast plates there twice in the past month, once their beef, and earlier today their pork. Didn't have the same impression as bad as yours.

They were a little slow in serving, both my roast and my wife's salad... But not a half hour. Both of my plates had a modest amount of brown gravy over pretty much just the meat, and not on anything else. (Didn't get any serving saucer of extra gravy either time.) As I said above, I thought both the beef and the pork were so-so, with especially the beef thin slices very well cooked and tough and chewy, probably Thai beef. But for the 320b price, it's kind of hard to complain and expect Thai-French. Nothing served on either of my plates was cold, but neither was any of it steaming hot. The serving staff were polite, friendly and attentive.

As I said above, especially for the price, it's a decent meal out in a comfortable setting for a reasonable price. Gourmet or food that really impresses, no. Just sometimes, it's nice to have some sliced roast beef or pork, potatoes, veggies and gravy on a Sunday afternoon, without having to cook it at home!  I'd put them in the budget category, both price and food-wise.

BTW, they also participate in the Eatigo discounts program, as do many other restaurants around BKK, so depending on the time you go, that can knock anywhere from 10% to 50% off the food portion of your bill, although the added 17% combined service charge and VAT still gets charged on the full, pre-discount bill.

Archived