Foreigner Selling Used Car to Thai Assistance Please

tv123

Hi all, I am currently living in Hin Lek Fai, Hua Hin and I am about to sell my used car to a thai person.  I have my Passport, Visa Page, Last Entry Stamp plus Certificate of Residency all copied for Seller side.  Am I missing something?  Also what does the Thai person need to bring, I.D. card and Certificate of Residency only?  Is there a current Transfer Form available for download anywhere. All help would be very much appreciated.

I would suggest exchanging the car for the money. It's then incumbent on the buyer to do the paperwork necessary for transfer of ownership.

The only thing missing from list is your TM30 and the Blue Book. The Certificate of Residency needs to be the Immigration one, not a condo certificate.

As the seller you should only need the vehicles log book and your passport.

You only need a certificate of residence if your the buyer as a foreigner unless you have a Yellow Tabien Baan.

The Thai buyer only needs his Tabien Baan and ID card.

Edited by Tanoshi

9 hours ago, tv123 said:

Thanks Lacessit, I do have a Immigration Certificate of Residency. What is a TM30?

A TM30 has to be submitted to Immigration every time you arrive in Thailand, except in Bangkok. There should be a

"Receipt of Notification" stapled into your passport.

7 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

As the seller you should only need the vehicles log book and your passport.

You only need a certificate of residence if your the buyer as a foreigner unless you have a Yellow Tabien Baan.

The Thai buyer only needs his Tabien Baan and ID card.

unless a WP holder a foreigner needs a residence certificate to buy and sell

• Like 1

A Thai buyer doesn't need residence certificate....a foreign buyer/seller needs residence certificate..(seller needing one depends on province) or work permit or yellow book..but some places like Pattaya dont except yellow book....if you dont want to go to the DLT with the buyer to change names then give them a signed "power of attorney" form...often this form is needed if the buyer lives in a different (far away) province and the seller obviously doesn't want to travel to that province.

2 hours ago, notamember said:

unless a WP holder a foreigner needs a residence certificate to buy and sell

Not if you have a Yellow Tabien Baan.

I've bought 3 and sold 2 cars using only my Yellow house book and Thai ID card for foreigners.

I've attended with the buyer at the DLT to make the transfer.

No Power of Attorney or certificate of residence required.

A Cof R is only required if you don't have a WP or Tabien Baan.

Copies of passport, power of attorney forms only required if someone is acting on your behalf.

After the routine VIN inspection, I sign over ownership, hand over the leys, and the cash transaction takes place, (with receipt)all at the DLT.

26 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Not if you have a Yellow Tabien Baan.

I've bought 3 and sold 2 cars using only my Yellow house book and Thai ID card for foreigners.

I've attended with the buyer at the DLT to make the transfer.

No Power of Attorney or certificate of residence required.

A Cof R is only required if you don't have a WP or Tabien Baan.

Copies of passport, power of attorney forms only required if someone is acting on your behalf.

After the routine VIN inspection, I sign over ownership, hand over the leys, and the cash transaction takes place, (with receipt)all at the DLT.

Yellow tabien baan or workpermit replaces certificate of residence.

So yes, either of those is required for buying and in many DLT's also for selling. Your post here " As the seller you should only need the vehicles log book and your passport. " is therefor mostly incorrect.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I would suggest exchanging the car for the money. It's then incumbent on the buyer to do the paperwork necessary for transfer of ownership.

The only thing missing from list is your TM30 and the Blue Book. The Certificate of Residency needs to be the Immigration one, not a condo certificate.

what about service records?? and if car/truck is over 7 yrs old proof of DLT inspections ????

21 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yellow tabien baan or workpermit replaces certificate of residence.

So yes, either of those is required for buying and in many DLT's also for selling. Your post here " As the seller you should only need the vehicles log book and your passport. " is therefor mostly incorrect.

That was in reply specifically to the OP who stated he already has a Cof R.

In that situation he only needs the logbook and all other document copies are taken from his passport.

54 minutes ago, essox essox said:

what about service records?? and if car/truck is over 7 yrs old proof of DLT inspections ????

I would have thought the proof of DLT inspections is embodied in the current registration, because a vehicle can't have its registration renewed without the DLT inspection.

Service records in Asia are usually only to be found while the vehicle is under warranty, or owned by a farang.

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

That was in reply specifically to the OP who stated he already has a Cof R.

In that situation he only needs the logbook and all other document copies are taken from his passport.

It doesn't matter very much, but don't try to weazle yourself out of it.

You responded with "As the seller you should only need the vehicles log book and your passport.

You only need a certificate of residence if your the buyer as a foreigner unless you have a Yellow Tabien Baan." which is most DLT's incorrect.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, stevenl said:

It doesn't matter very much, but don't try to weazle yourself out of it.

You responded with "As the seller you should only need the vehicles log book and your passport.

Not weaselling out of anything. 

As the 'seller' which I have been on two occasions, I needed nothing more than the logbook, which already contains my previously proven address and a form of ID in order to sign the transfer.

The 'buyer' needs proof of address for the new registration details.

You believe what you want.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

Not weaselling out of anything. 

As the 'seller' which I have been on two occasions, I needed nothing more than the logbook, which already contains my previously proven address and a form of ID in order to sign the transfer.

The 'buyer' needs proof of address for the new registration details.

You believe what you want.

And this is the underlying issue when we discuss these matters....  Even when dealing with 'officialdom' there are no hard and fast rules and different offices interpret and apply the rules differently - Yet we as westerners on these forums often end up falling foul of this and refuse to accept that experiences differ, especially when it comes to different offices requiring different documentation. 

I required a 'Certificate of Residence' in March of this year to accompany the affidavit of sale (so that I didn't have to go to the DLT and could just hand the car over for cash)... it could be different elsewhere !

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And this is the underlying issue when we discuss these matters....  Even when dealing with 'officialdom' there are no hard and fast rules and different offices interpret and apply the rules differently - Yet we as westerners on these forums often end up falling foul of this and refuse to accept that experiences differ, especially when it comes to different offices requiring different documentation. 

I required a 'Certificate of Residence' in March of this year to accompany the affidavit of sale (so that I didn't have to go to the DLT and could just hand the car over for cash)... it could be different elsewhere !

Exactly. I was first told by the agent for the seller I had supplied all the documentation needed. Then he came back in a panic a week after I had been paid in full, saying he needed a Certificate of Residence from Immigration.

The CM Immigration Office clearly specifies you need a letter from your condo to confirm residency. When I gave the officer the letter, he just gave it back to me - all he was interested in was the application form, my passport details and my TM30. As you say, it's at the whim of individual officials.