Tesla's Musk is sued for calling British Thai cave rescuer pedophile

webfact

7 minutes ago, Ossy said:

About Musk? … wasn't it just the mini-subs that Vern criticised? Calling them a PR stunt and suggesting where Musk could stuff them was hardly defamatory, either . . . fairly well-deserved work-place banter, I reckon, to what probably stood little chance of working.

Of course, but Mr.Money thought he would bury Vern with a....?....which has backfired...

• Like 1

I had read in this forum on numerous occassions, where the word paedophile, and its various short forms, has been tossed around to describe people acussed of various crimes.

In many instances it is obvious that the poster has never looked up the definition of the word paedophile. On many occassions, the media is as ignorant as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Benmart said:

I had read in this forum on numerous occassions, where the word paedophile, and its various short forms, has been tossed around to describe people acussed of various crimes.

In many instances it is obvious that the poster has never looked up the definition of the word paedophile. On many occassions, the media is as ignorant as well.

Yes, but what does that have to do with this thread ?

Musk wquite clearly used the term in its proper context , in his allegations

• Like 1

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

It may seem that way but what is rarely reported is that all these ridiculously high awards go to appeal and the amounts are reduced by the Appeals Court to something a little more sensible, though still often life-changing sums.

The vast majority of these cases are - as you may know - settled out of court. Expect the case to be announced dropped after an undisclosed settlement. And that is exactly what Mr Unsworth's counsel wants; he doesn't want to spend five years of litigation, he wants a $3m lump sum for his client (out of which he will make a $1m cut), and he want it fast so he can move on to the next case. 

7 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Surprised the amount is so small, and the lawyers were willing to bother, if they're on a contingency basis. 

However also according to the BBC Mr Unsworth is seeking "punitive damages" as well as the compensation,

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45551895

The lawsuit seeks $75,000 (£57,000) in compensation and an injunction against Mr Musk to stop further allegations.

The filing also says Mr Unsworth is seeking "punitive damages" as well as the compensation, "to punish him for his wrongdoing and deter him from repeating such heinous conduct".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ossy said:

About Musk? … wasn't it just the mini-subs that Vern criticised? Calling them a PR stunt and suggesting where Musk could stuff them was hardly defamatory, either . . . fairly well-deserved work-place banter, I reckon, to what probably stood little chance of working.

taking one line out of my whole thing and then quoting it out of context is a pretty low thing to do don't you think?

5 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Yes, both should have kept their mouth shut or choose better words but it didn't happen because of their personalities. What is done is done and now comes whether the court will find the lawsuit credible to move forward but the burden is really on the Brit to prove he has been hurt?  

Not saying the Brit shouldn't fight and if I was in his position most likely would too but you are dealing with a lot of money and he is going to use it to dig not only on the Brit but his whole family and it will go back to all their childhood

For whatever reason, if he ends up paying it will be a drop in the bucket and has nothing to do directly with Tesla.

This just seems like PR for everyone including the lawyers.

It has everything to do with Tesla.

Musk is a very senior person in Tesla and anything he does or says reflects on the public share price of the  company.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-challenges-in-2018-2018-4#amazon-account-hacked-to-mine-cryptocurrency-1

https://futurism.com/three-problems-tesla-company-future/

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-elon-musk-investors-board-vote/

5 hours ago, Thian said:

Well that Vern guy has a wife who could be his daughter, isn't it?

My Thai wife is 21 years younger than me.

Do you have a problem with that?

When I first met my wife she was 28 and a child bride of 35 when we married.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

4 hours ago, ballpoint said:

Musk made his first accusation on July 15th, just three days after Unsworth's CNN appearance.  Even if something does come up in the investigation, Unsworth's lawyers could argue that Musk had no knowledge of that when he made the accusation, and still technically win the case.  (Though Unsworth would still be in a world of trouble).  If, in those three days, it was that easy to find evidence of what Musk asserted, then surely Unsworth would have been aware of this and laid low?  It should also be easy to prove or disprove some of Musk's other comments. Notably the 30 year period, the frequent visits to Pattaya, and the 12 year old bride.

Whatever the findings, I can see further court appearances for Musk.  If the accusations are true, then a case should be presented as to why he did not take his evidence to the police.  Not only would that be the lawful and decent thing to do if having proof of paedophilia, he would also have done far more damage to Unsworth.  On the other hand, if the accusations aren't true, and Musk made them based on some perception of male expats in Thailand, a very real defamation case against him could be made by all of us living here.  Although it appears that a few members here have no objection to being called a paedophile, and claim they would say nothing if accused of such (if the cap fits... being the logical conclusion to that), I would say that the vast majority would take offense to such a lie and take steps to clear their names.

Perhaps Vern could consider a class action against Musk and we could all join the gravy train. :cheesy:

Just now, Benmart said:

The Daily Mail is very good at this.  A 20 year old having sex with a 15 year old is called a predator and a paedophile, as is a 35 year old teacher having sex with his 17 year old student.

The Brit drew first blood, why was that.Couldn’t possibly be his dislike of Success V Sour Old Looser could it..?.Musk was a fool to respond.?[emoji1013]️

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
Or was it because an egotistical publicity seeking billionaire shows up in the middle of a serious rescue attempt just to serve his own and businesses needs. Just saying!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

It has everything to do with Tesla.

Musk is a very senior person in Tesla and anything he does or says reflects on the public share price of the  company.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-challenges-in-2018-2018-4#amazon-account-hacked-to-mine-cryptocurrency-1

https://futurism.com/three-problems-tesla-company-future/

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-elon-musk-investors-board-vote/

You are right in a sense as to him being the founder of Tesla and a representative the board as already stated to him the main reason as to why he apologize in the first place.  And this comes from my cousin husband started out as one of the main engineers for Tesla who has now has retired and a consultant currently.  The last few years the guy is got a bit of a loose screw in the head arrogant and want to live in the fast lane.  It is a matter of time before the Board gets enough balls to replace him either way he is going to walk away with a Billion if not more.  But the board doesn't give a shit since many think like him it is advertising as far as they are concern, history first day the stock drop the next investor came back it and purchased low and the stock is back up. Regardless, how the company is doing it is cheap advertising good or bad for Tesla no one seems to give a rat ass to what he has said about the Brit except Brits. What he might pay out to the Brit is dinner money to Musk far cheaper than paying a advertising company.

It seem these day the comments are divided by race or orgin of the Brit and Musk who resides in the U.S. I seriously doubt any jury is going to award anything even near 50 million that the judge would throw out the judgement and make a more realistic judgement seen it done more than a number of times.  Regardless, whether in court or settle out the Brit will be walking away with more than what he went in with. 

Just my opinion 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, car720 said:

taking one line out of my whole thing and then quoting it out of context is a pretty low thing to do don't you think?

Sorry, car720. I failed to notice that it was your reply to Z42's 'shit' post that I was quoting, making it appear that I was answering you, rather than t'other feller and, thus, your out of context grumble is justified. I'd like to agree with your peace-maker point but have to ask if you'd be prepared to shake hands with the person who's just turned your life upside down. That would need a very thick skin, which, by the very nature of your grumble, it seems you don't possess.

Libel/slander laws are very different in the US and the UK...almost the complete opposite.

Key differences (regarding coverage of a public figure):

• Common law standard for liability, not actual malice.  This means that if the publication was wrong, it is liable.
  • Truth is an affirmative defense, but the publication must prove truth whereas in the US the public figure must prove falsity;
  • The publication must establish its veracity with research already conducted (i.e. notes and documents already in its files), not by rummaging through the plaintiff's files after litigation is commenced (hence reducing the disincentive to bring a claim).

So, basically, in the US Musk has to prove the guy wrong...or just pay him off to make it go away which is more likely.

Edited by Sir Dude

9 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Agreed. Most people who have spent decades in Thailand have quite a lot they would rather keep quiet about.

I was always taught that you should never judge people by your own standards.  Rather set the standards that would be good for others to keep

Edited by Esso49
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those who think Musk has limitless resources aren't aware of the class action lawsuits that were filed after his tweets to take Tesla private.

At least 2 were filed by the short sellers who lost "on paper" something like 1.3 billion in the 2 days after the false statement by Musk that he had financing secured to take Tesla private. The actual losses are less because some of the short sellers are themselves billionaires or hedge funds that weren't forced to close out their short positions. One of those billionaires is funding one of the class action suits. With damages this might be a multi-billion dollar case.

Another class action suit was by someone who rushed out to buy Tesla stock and then saw it plummet when it was revealed that the statement by Musk was false. 

A lot of Musk's wealth might be tied to the value of his Tesla stock which could see a dramatic depreciation. If Musk's attorneys offer a reasonable settlement, Vern should probably take it. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-musk-lawsuit/lawsuits-accuse-teslas-musk-of-fraud-over-tweets-going-private-proposal-idUSKBN1KV2IQ

https://gizmodo.com/tesla-hit-with-third-class-action-suit-over-musks-stock-1828318635

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvavin said:

I feel that Vernon is taking a high risk by sueing Musk. Musk could not be that stupid by calling him a child pedo for no reason. If Musk were to present some of Vernon's peso evidents then he would be a dead meat!

You are of course assuming that Musk is telling the truth and has evidence.

And, yes Musk could well be that stupid.

Edited by billd766
added extra text