Huge spelling mistake painted on Cathay Pacific airplane

webfact

1 hour ago, inThailand said:

The work of a highly trained and low paid immigrant who is justing having some fun? 

Probably not. The painters would be working to a provided graphic design. Nobody is going to deliberately put their job at risk for something like that, and which is signed off. The error more likely assigned to the graphic designer working on it and providing the required lettering would be my punt. Where? Well, could be staff on the Mainland from the recently merged Cathay Dragon who might be a tad short on English skills. Maybe.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

I worked with them back in the late 1970's and 1980's and they did all of their maintenance including painting at there facilities at Kai Tak in Hong Kong.  Occasionally they farmed out some maintenance to HACO but I think that was only minor checks.

• Like 1

The main headline on page one of the newspaper I worked for topped a story on "Egpyt". There were six levels of editors, editor in charge, proof reader, back shop composition staff, and press room that could have caught it but didn't. And not one reader or circulation manager (80,000 daily circulation) called to point out the error. The eye sees what it expects to see. Magic!

• Like 1

Probably not. The painters would be working to a provided graphic design. Nobody is going to deliberately put their job at risk for something like that, and which is signed off. The error more likely assigned to the graphic designer working on it and providing the required lettering would be my punt. Where? Well, could be staff on the Mainland from the recently merged Cathay Dragon who might be a tad short on English skills. Maybe.

Nowadays the airlines outsource paintwork to so-called MRO (maintenance, repair overhaul) companies where as it happens HKG is a regional hub. Go there or Manila etc, you can see on the side tarmac planes from Europe and America even being torn apart. They don’t need to pay a decent wage with pension to Western employees anymore when they can fly their capital equipment to a low wage region!

Was this shop new to CX jobs? How it happens when an Airline has been painting it’s hundreds of planes successfully in the same paint shop, boggles the mind.

By the way we are supposed to see a regional MRO hub created at u-Taphao Air Base. The misspellings on jets should be epic here.

IMG_1561.JPG

Cathay Pacific did it again; give their marketing team a GOLD medal. 

You seem to not get it; this "mistake" was done purposely as it bought Cathay into each and every news channel all over the planet, the social and printed media and has created the most fantastic brand awareness - again. 

Perfect, simply perfect - congratulations! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Spelling errors so common and hilarious here...guessing Thailand! :vampire:

I was in Tops Market Surin a while back and saw a sign in English "On Sale 30 Bath". Was shopping in a major US grocery store and they advertised "Fresh Banananas".  In high school,  saw every poster, hand-printed and posted by the local Pastors wife advertising an "Ice Cream Social at the 1st Chirstian Church".  

• Haha 1