Which fast family car?

CarlBkk

16 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Boost the power AND also reduce fuel consumption? Wow, you should tell the car manufacturers about it, you could earn millions

it is there for all to see and has been for years , driving techniques come into effect , can drive conservatively to improve mpg or has the option to improve acceleration , choose one or the other but obviously if you are going to floor it your fuel consumption will suffer .

On 9/22/2018 at 10:45 AM, superal said:

it is there for all to see and has been for years , driving techniques come into effect , can drive conservatively to improve mpg or has the option to improve acceleration , choose one or the other but obviously if you are going to floor it your fuel consumption will suffer .

Then for fuel saving they should state "if you drive like our trained test drivers"..?

On 9/21/2018 at 10:09 AM, CarlBkk said:

Yes been eyeing up lots, but some tell me it's not worth it due to unreliability and cost/delay in getting parts for  6 year old Evoques.  Probably rubbish value for money (5mb when new!) but beautiful cars.  Any personal experience with them?

I sold ours when it was 3 years old. Bought new in Thailand but got fed up having to take it to Bangkok for its regular service.  Had no problems with it whatsoever and really loved the car.  Anybody who say it is smaller than a Honda City inside is obviously talking out of his/hers backside and probably has never seen one, or if thy have, didn't know what they were looking at. 

Would I buy another one ? yes if there was a local dealership, but the only decent cars with dealerships near us are BMW and Mercedes-Benz. Had one of the former and five of the latter but still like the Land Rover best  and whilst the current GLE is  nice car, the interior design of the LR is more to my taste.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Anybody who say it is smaller than a Honda City inside is obviously talking out of his/hers backside and probably has never seen one, or if thy have, didn't know what they were looking at. 

I did personally sit in both, and imho the inside of the Evoque is about the same size as a Honda City. But after looking at interior pictures of both cars at Google it seems that the inside space of a Honda City is actually even bigger than the Evoque.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, gazzasore said:

Go check out the Subaru Outback 

Go for the 3.6R

250 HPfull time 4 wheel Drive

Very safe  about 6 sec 0 to 100 and has Eyesite anti Crash

Auto braking etc

It will be around 2.5 mill

Thats interesting but according to the latest Subaru Thailand price list the 3.6R is not available so what point are you trying to make ?http://sites.subaru.asia/th/en/vehicles/outback/16my/?pg=introduction

Thats interesting but according to the latest Subaru Thailand price list the 3.6R is not available so what point are you trying to make ?http://sites.subaru.asia/th/en/vehicles/outback/16my/?pg=introduction

Heard a few disappointing reports about after-sale service from Scooby (Thailand) unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

I did personally sit in both, and imho the inside of the Evoque is about the same size as a Honda City. But after looking at interior pictures of both cars at Google it seems that the inside space of a Honda City is actually even bigger than the Evoque.

You on drugs ? Check the specs. and stop wasting time as the OP was serious about choice of car. You will be telling us next that Honda is not a Japanese company and a Honda City as 4 wheel drive and has 12 air bags.

Edited by Esso49

1 hour ago, Esso49 said:

If you happen to live near one of the few Subaru dealers, the 240hp Forester XT is available in LOS. 

The WRX is also sort of a family car depending on the size of the family. 

32 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

You on drugs ? Check the specs. and stop wasting time as the OP was serious about choice of car. You will be telling us next that Honda is not a Japanese company and a Honda City as 4 wheel drive and has 12 air bags.

If the biggest car you ever used before was a Honda Jazz you might indeed get the impression that the Evoque is big

Here the specs for you:

Honda City:

Leg Room, Front 1063 mm
Leg Room, Rear 910 mm

Front + Rear = 1973 mm

Range Rover Evoque:

Leg Room, Front 1019 mm
Leg Room, Rear 925 mm

Front + Rear = 1944 mm

So a Honda City provides about 3cm more leg room than a Range Rover Evoque

Edited by jackdd

16 hours ago, jackdd said:

If the biggest car you ever used before was a Honda Jazz you might indeed get the impression that the Evoque is big

Here the specs for you:

Honda City:

Leg Room, Front 1063 mm
Leg Room, Rear 910 mm

Front + Rear = 1973 mm

Range Rover Evoque:

Leg Room, Front 1019 mm
Leg Room, Rear 925 mm

Front + Rear = 1944 mm

So a Honda City provides about 3cm more leg room than a Range Rover Evoque

If we are talking about legroom, yes the recent honda city has slightly more leg room than the Evoque. I use to take uber all the time and sat in many honda city, was surprise how much leg room there was for such a small car (not saying its by any means spacious). My friend does own a Evoque too which he picks me up in all the time too, the legroom is pretty tight. 

So maybe depending on how the front passenger/driver sits, rear legroom are both about the same. but based on my experience, the City does offers slightly more rear legroom. Maybe its because the rear seats of the city is slightly more upright, which puts your posture in the sitting position more hence the feeling of more legroom.

On 9/23/2018 at 9:20 PM, Esso49 said:

My Humble Apologies

Last time I checked at the Khon Kaen Subaru dealer

Everything was available

Including the Legacy

On 9/22/2018 at 4:23 AM, jackdd said:

Boost the power AND also reduce fuel consumption? Wow, you should tell the car manufacturers about it, you could earn millions

Basic physics:  more power =  engine doesn't work so hard to move the weight = better fuel consumption.

2 hours ago, CarlBkk said:

Thanks guys, I checked out Volvo V60 and XC40. V60 was nice but a little dull to drive.  XC40 (2.3mb) looked great but space not so great.  Also checked out a certified used Benz GLC250d (2.6mb) but ended up with a Mazda CX5 diesel turbo after all.  Good drive, good deal on the price and with all the reviews saying how well it stacks up I couldn't ignore it.  Got several extras in the deal, 100K discount off list, 3 years Mazda care, 3 years insurance and 2.19% interest for anyone who's looking for one.

Nice car, the cx-5. Just take it for good long drives at highway speeds occasionally. 100K is a good discount. Was that the 2wd or 4wd? 

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2018 at 3:53 AM, mike324 said:

If we are talking about legroom, yes the recent honda city has slightly more leg room than the Evoque. I use to take uber all the time and sat in many honda city, was surprise how much leg room there was for such a small car (not saying its by any means spacious). My friend does own a Evoque too which he picks me up in all the time too, the legroom is pretty tight. 

So maybe depending on how the front passenger/driver sits, rear legroom are both about the same. but based on my experience, the City does offers slightly more rear legroom. Maybe its because the rear seats of the city is slightly more upright, which puts your posture in the sitting position more hence the feeling of more legroom.

And the internal width, luggage capacity etc etc ? Go away and fry an egg.  Look there is absolutely nothing wrong in admitting you can not afford the likes of an Evoque or other premium quality  cars and for a budget car there is nothing wrong with a Honda City. But please, please don't try to justify black is white.

2 hours ago, CarlBkk said:

Thanks guys, I checked out Volvo V60 and XC40. V60 was nice but a little dull to drive.  XC40 (2.3mb) looked great but space not so great.  Also checked out a certified used Benz GLC250d (2.6mb) but ended up with a Mazda CX5 diesel turbo after all.  Good drive, good deal on the price and with all the reviews saying how well it stacks up I couldn't ignore it.  Got several extras in the deal, 100K discount off list, 3 years Mazda care, 3 years insurance and 2.19% interest for anyone who's looking for one.

Be interested on a report for this vehicle after say 1 year of ownership if you remember.  I have more than 65 cars in my time now so follow all car reports with interest. Only ever had one Mazda though and that was back in 1982, a 626.   Brilliant car at the time couldn't fault it and nothing ever went wrong with it.  Enjoy your new motor.

2 hours ago, Esso49 said:

And the internal width, luggage capacity etc etc ? Go away and fry an egg.  Look there is absolutely nothing wrong in admitting you can not afford the likes of an Evoque or other premium quality  cars and for a budget car there is nothing wrong with a Honda City. But please, please don't try to justify black is white.

Well, I did say "if we are talking about legroom". I didn't mention luggage capacity and internal width did I ? No need to be so defensive buddy. Its really ok for the Evoque to have less legroom than a Honda City.

Just because I take Uber and get rides from my friends does not mean I don't drive. I have a handful of porsche and M cars in my garage.  Please please take it easy, you might get a heart attack justifying your point.

Edited by mike324

46 minutes ago, mike324 said:

Well, I did say "if we are talking about legroom". I didn't mention luggage capacity and internal width did I ? No need to be so defensive buddy. Its really ok for the Evoque to have less legroom than a Honda City.

Just because I take Uber and get rides from my friends does not mean I don't drive. I have a handful of porsche and M cars in my garage.  Please please take it easy, you might get a heart attack justifying your point.

Now that statement explains everything  to all of us reading your ridiculous comments on TV.    Interesting that you mentioned that you take  Uber considering that they have not operated in Thailand for 6 months.    Love to see your further comments on your stable of Porsche and M cars, by which I assume you are talking about Meccano  ????????????. Do you actually know what they look like or just another fantasy like taking Uber?

Edited by Esso49

Carl, it seems as you want to get the best bang for a buck. Well, then my piece of advice for you would be to become a happy owner of hyundai grand i10. It will fit all of your needs and necessities. This vehicle is quite spacious, which is perfect for a family guy like you. Also, it does 0 to 60 in about 6-7 seconds, which is not bad at all for the car of such class. 

• Like 1

Carl, it seems as you want to get the best bang for a buck. Well, then my piece of advice for you would be to become a happy owner of hyundai grand i10. It will fit all of your needs and necessities. This vehicle is quite spacious, which is perfect for a family guy like you. Also, it does 0 to 60 in about 6-7 seconds, which is not bad at all for the car of such class. 

Are they available in Thailand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk