Phuket lifeguard contract corruption probe confirms ‘irregularities’, case sent to NACC

rooster59

Phuket lifeguard contract corruption probe confirms ‘irregularities’, case sent to NACC 

By The Phuket News

image.jpg

Region 8 Police Deputy Commander of Investigation Col Arnon Dashrugsa announced the news at a press conference at Region 8 Police headquarters, at the northern end of the island, on Tuesday (Sept 18). Photo: The Phuket News

PHUKET: Region 8 Police this week submitted the results of their preliminary investigation into alleged corruption over a government contract issued to provide lifeguards at Phuket’s beaches to the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) in Bangkok.

Region 8 Police Deputy Commander of Investigation Col Arnon Dashrugsa announced the news at a press conference at Region 8 Police headquarters, at the northern end of the island, on Tuesday afternoon (Sept 18), noting that a police investigation had confirmed irregularities in the execution of the contract.

Present for the announcement yesterday were members of the ‘Khon Rak Thong Tin’ (People who love this place) group, who initially filed the complaint with Region 8 Police in May. (See story here.)

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-lifeguard-contract-corruption-probe-confirms-irregularities-case-sent-to-nacc-68713.php#1bsmGuQFM4ryMLSP.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-09-22

What it all boils down to is the government official who decides who gets the contract gets 25%. The bogus Thai company who receive the grant get 25% and the rest goes on lifeguards salary.dont know why I've called them lifeguards as they are probably all rice farmers in baywatch swimwear lazing around on a beach all day.so now the beaches of Phuket haven't really got lifeguards.i think I've already read a couple of stories where tourists are saving tourists while the lifeguards watch on.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

People have lost their lives as a result of their greed and corruption. They should be charged with manslaughter.

People are of secondary concern to Thailand's administrative officials.  Money has the highest priority and it does not appear that there is going to be any political initiative for it to be changed any time soon.

2 hours ago, 300sd said:

I once had an issue to report to the NACC. My lawyer said, "why bother, they are corrupt". So I didn't bother.

Would at a guess say the NACC are in the position of the highest pecking order of the food chain.if you can get through them your home free.mr toad and his watches proved that one.

3 hours ago, 300sd said:

I once had an issue to report to the NACC. My lawyer said, "why bother, they are corrupt". So I didn't bother.

The NACC only exists to protect the corrupt junta and their closely connected friends.

• Thanks 1