Bananas at the moment totally UNRIPE!

punchandjudy

Unlike back home, Thailand has a zillion types of bananas with a wide variation in flavors.  What you refer to as "not ripe" may be just that, and all you need to do is wait a day.  Or, it may be one of those varieties that isn't as soft and sweet as the others.

My biggest banana fiasco was the day one of my coworkers brought in some bananas for all to share, and didn't mention that her variety has seeds.  Big, slimy, crunchy ones.  I thought I had bitten into a worm.

Once I was assured they were just seeds, they were excellent bananas. 

My favorite are the fat finger bananas I used to find in Kanchanaburi, with the yellow meat.

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Unlike back home, Thailand has a zillion types of bananas with a wide variation in flavors.  What you refer to as "not ripe" may be just that, and all you need to do is wait a day.  Or, it may be one of those varieties that isn't as soft and sweet as the others.

My biggest banana fiasco was the day one of my coworkers brought in some bananas for all to share, and didn't mention that her variety has seeds.  Big, slimy, crunchy ones.  I thought I had bitten into a worm.

Once I was assured they were just seeds, they were excellent bananas. 

My favorite are the fat finger bananas I used to find in Kanchanaburi, with the yellow meat.

I find bananas only last a maximum of three days after I bring them home from the market.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I find bananas only last a maximum of three days after I bring them home from the market.

I try to buy bananas that will be perfect tomorrow...  And I leave sealed them in the plastic bag if I want them to age slower...

4 hours ago, watcharacters said:

That's sounds plausible.

In the family we have different types of bananas.

Some come green and three or four days later they turn brown.

Currently having a big bundle of ripe finger bananas on the desk.

Will have to hurry :biggrin:

My wife sells bananas in her shop. There has been a problem recently that some green bananas just do not ripen well and can take 5 days or more - she buys green ones with the expectation they will ripen in about 2-3 days. This upsets everything as she has to go to the market again to buy yellow ones.

A problem when you sell bananas retail to a small customer base (i.e. in a village) is waste - about a quarter go to the pigs due to fluctuating demand.

Your first problem is that you live in Thailand and yet you are buying your bananas from "Max Valu, Tesco Lotus and even the single ones from 7 Eleven" which is your first mistake.

Find a Thai market.  They are everywhere throughout the country.  Buy your bananas locally and not at some big-box, probably foreign-owned, super market.  I can find a multitude of different types of banana in various stages of ripeness from rock hard to wonderfully ripe.  Your problem is where you chose to shop, not the bananas. 

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

Except Durian.  IMO it tastes much better when 80% ripe before it starts stinking with soft gooey flesh.  I hated the stuff until a friend recommended eating it before it ripens.  It doesn't smell and the flesh has the same texture and similar flavour to chestnuts.

Unfortunately, you need to know someone with a farm as the ones sold at markets etc are 'ripe'.