Who in this country will represent me before the government? 

visacrack

15 minutes ago, visacrack said:

stevenlThis is a NEW thought ('innovation'), unlikely to have been brought up in earlier threads. You can also see this by the reactions it provokes. 

No, it is not a new thought. And yes, the laughing emoticons really tell me others think of it as innovation.

Good luck though.

Edited by stevenl
  • Haha 1

NCC1701A: 'And there is no money for the Bangkok elites in your proposal. It is a loss of income for them': Not quite. If I can't get my car here without the cutthroat duties, I won't import it NOR buy one here. And me not driving here means loss of income for the trade. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, visacrack said:

NCC1701A: 'And there is no money for the Bangkok elites in your proposal. It is a loss of income for them': Not quite. If I can't get my car here without the cutthroat duties, I won't import it NOR buy one here. And me not driving here means loss of income for the trade. 

And the powers that be don't think about that stuff....But everywhere we look it is more of the same crap...

I fear having a game of Cribbage....????....

Well the guy sorting me out might forget to put the safety on his M16 on, and my downfall...????

• Like 1

I'm a fighter too but this is a good one!  must be one heck of a vehicle that you are willing to go to such a distant.  In my experience trying to get the government to change the rule maybe you can contact the Trumpee and let him in on your secret?  Getting someone to assist you I'm sure plenty would represent you while they soak letting you think you have a chance. If you do get a meeting with the government watch their faces including your helper you will see the restrain in their faces trying not to bus out laughing.

Good luck on this one.

3 hours ago, visacrack said:

If I can't get my car here without the cutthroat duties, I won't import it NOR buy one here. And me not driving here means loss of income for the trade. 

You've obviously not been here very long.

The Thai Government won't care one iota whether you buy a car here or not.   Likewise the Thai motor trade won't care that you don't buy a car here (unless you are buying a Supercar for 100 million plus, and even then I doubt they'd care about one Farang not buying a car).    Car sales in Thailand for 2018 are listed as around 850,000 units, I doubt they'll notice you refused to buy a car.

Their loss of income because you won't be driving is inconsequential to them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, visacrack said:

Okay after you conquer this challenge please take on the noise problems and the littering problems as well. You are well funny though...

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

I'm a fighter too but this is a good one!  must be one heck of a vehicle that you are willing to go to such a distant.  In my experience trying to get the government to change the rule maybe you can contact the Trumpee and let him in on your secret?  

Indeed, there is more chance of this to work if Fox News would tell that Thailand charges outrageous import duties on many items from US. Perhaps Trump would start another trade war ????...  and perhaps we could get cheaper imported goodies... Just dreaming ????

4 hours ago, visacrack said:

Not sure how you think they would give one gram of care to even contemplate your 'proposal'.

4 hours ago, visacrack said:

The trade will, I am sure, in time get over your abstention but you will need to travel so other trades such as bus and taxi WILL benefit. Swings and roundabouts really.  

A friend of mine used to run a pub and he barred a guy once for his continued disruption and complaints from other patrons. So the guy says "Right that's it, I am never coming here again" to which my friend replies "Yes, that is what I want" and the guy replies "You don't understand. I will never spend another penny in this place..................ever! " Somehow the guy thought he had won with that justification. Good luck with your plan to cause a loss of income to the trade.

Many of us have had ‘cherished’ cars back home - we would have loved to bring our old MG, Triumph, Jaguar or one of those American monsters to the Kingdom and actually there are good people here who can keep them going .

OP - you are thinking in a Western way- where perhaps you have rights and the Government protects you. 

As an alien in Thailand ( where I presume you are choosing to live) you have absolutely no say in the laws , customs etc whatsoever- nothing ever - you will jump through hoops as set out by the military Government. 

So refreshingly as previously posted - Good Luck  

Diplomats are allowed to import cars tax free but if they ever want to sell the car in Thailand the original tax must be paid.

Find yourself a low level embassy staffer or UN employee and pay them to use their name to import the vehicle. You can never sell it here but you can drive it till your hearts content.

• Like 2