Australian man shoots self in head at Phuket shooting range

Jonathan Fairfield

Only speculating, as are other posters here, but I think this is not so much "the black dog" as drug related. (maybe both?)

I'm basing my thoughts on his age, behavior and dress. As someone else pointed out he seemed to sniff something from a plastic bag in the beginning of the clip.

I have two old mates who stay with me in Phuket occasionally, both on strong meds because they suffer from depression. One has problems related to service in Vietnam and the other disintegration of family. They're not much fun on their bad days which I can usually see coming.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 10:00 AM, CharlieH said:

Obviously you have never sufferred or encountered anyone with severe depression/anxiety disorder.They see things very different and for some feel its the only answer.

Sad but true.

Such a shame he didnt have or feel he could just talk with someone.????

There are also those who make a rational decision to end their lives. Shooting yourself in the head is quick and pretty effective.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2018 at 9:33 AM, Easy Come Easy Go said:

Obviously there's a good reason.. 

There was obviously a reason but I doubt that it was good. The only good reason would be a painful terminal illness but as an Australian he would get good palliative care in his own country, too young to have accumulated a lot of life's problems, a girl perhaps ?

5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

There was obviously a reason but I doubt that it was good. The only good reason would be a painful terminal illness but as an Australian he would get good palliative care in his own country, too young to have accumulated a lot of life's problems, a girl perhaps ?

Did you think he might have mental health problems?

He could have had serious depression.  

Mental health illnesses not have to have an accumulation of life's problems to happen, and they are not related to how much money someone has or has not.  

You might want to research a little on mental health before saying this guy did not have a good reason to kill himself.  You don't even know what was going on in his life so how can you be so sure he was wrong?

Just now, Russell17au said:

Thanks Nyezhov but I do not ask for sympathy that is needed for those that brand these people as cowards and selfish but it is those that are doing the branding that are the cowards and they are also selfish because they do not have the time or the guts to go and learn about it so that if they see someone that is suffering from it and they can recognize the symptoms then maybe a lot more could be saved from this terrible thing.

It's all good dude I know what you went through. I had a close relative who has been there...stay strong!

• Like 1

Here are some of the symptoms of depression that may help some of you to recognize one of your loved ones could be suffering this horrible mental illness or even one of your loved one recognizing these symptoms in you

• Trouble concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
  • Fatigue
  • Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and helplessness
  • Pessimism and hopelessness
  • Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or sleeping too much
  • Irritability
  • Restlessness
  • Loss of interest in things once pleasurable, including sex
  • Overeating, or appetite loss
  • Aches, pains, headaches, or cramps that won't go away
  • Digestive problems that don't get better, even with treatment
  • Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings
  • Suicidal thoughts or attempts
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

A quote / teaching from an English Buddhist monk I've learned a lot from;
'If you carry sh1t in your pocket, no mater where you go in life, and not matter what you do, it's still going to smell like sh1t' 

You need somebody to actually teach you that

• Haha 1

Mental health is a very serious problem amongst Thais,  and Foreigners also seem to succumb to this very hyped lifestyle where entertainments are larger than life. Very tragic indeed and Foreigners who find themselves in such situation should really return Hom and get counselling help.

15 hours ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

A quote / teaching from an English Buddhist monk I've learned a lot from;
'If you carry sh1t in your pocket, no mater where you go in life, and not matter what you do, it's still going to smell like sh1t' 

"But my girl smells different."  ???? 

11 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Did you think he might have mental health problems?

He could have had serious depression.  

Mental health illnesses not have to have an accumulation of life's problems to happen, and they are not related to how much money someone has or has not.  

You might want to research a little on mental health before saying this guy did not have a good reason to kill himself.  You don't even know what was going on in his life so how can you be so sure he was wrong?

I agree with what you have written, I have been with my cousin when he has had one of his bouts of severe depression, my argument was with the words 'good reason', it could have been the cause, the why, the reason, but that doesn't make it 'good', just understandable.

• Like 1

Post removed.

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

You will not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension.

On 9/30/2018 at 9:26 AM, Spock said:

Not for you maybe. Not necessarily the case for others.

Talking as one who has been to the dark side, and pulled through. 

What he did is no different from lining up a favorite tree when driving to work in a morning. 

Or having massive panic attacks in the car ar the same places every day 

And having to apologize for not making work again. 

And amazing how it suddenly subsides when you turn around and head home...

Sometimes there is no one to listen to you, or give you a hug, or even just go for a walk. 

I recognize the symptoms pretty quickly now, and fortunately I haven't been back to that place. 

Cost me a marriage and the time with the kids and grandchildren. 

But yes there is hope and help.

What saddens me is that LOS put the dollars first in jet skiing, parasailing, bike rental, and yes rifle and pistol ranges.

Without any thought of the person who is doing it.

Fortunately the range wasn't full or he could have taken several other people with him...