Tsunami fears: Report shows that tourists would be in trouble if a giant wave hit Thailand again

webfact

Tsunami fears: Report shows that tourists would be in trouble if a giant wave hit Thailand again

6pm.jpg

Pictures: TNA 

Following the devastating earthquake and massive tsunami that hit Indonesia on Friday the Thai media have asked the question:

Is Thailand prepared for another tsunami?

1538485105012.jpg

The answer is mixed. On the one hand the alarm warning systems seem to be working and loud enough.

But on the other, signage erected after the 2004 Asia wide tsunami hit Thailand has fallen into disrepair. 

1538485105003-800x450x2.jpg

Tourists would not have a clue where to go to flee another giant wave. 

TNAMCOT were reporting in their Big Story news show amid fears of another tsunami. 

In Indonesia at Palu on Sulawesi thousands are feared dead mostly from the tsunami following an undersea quake. 

TNA's reporter went to Kamala beach where 279 people died in the Boxing Day 2004 tsunami.

Following the disaster that claimed about a quarter of a million lives Asia wide the Thai authorities put in towers and signage to help people flee.

6pm1.jpg

She said that there are 19 warning towers in the Phuket. She asked two people - a deckchair vendor and a hotel employee about the effectiveness of the warning systems. 

The systems are tested every Wednesday at 8am when the Thai national anthem is played through them.

The vendor said that it was loud and could be heard everywhere on the beach. He also said there was enough signage.

1538485105077.jpg

The hotel employee said that it was loud too. His hotel had training each year regarding tsunami preparedness. 

But when the reporter examined the escape route the problems started. 

Some signage had fallen to the ground or was now unreadable.

1538485105013-800x450x2.jpg

There were gaps of 500 meters in between signs on the route.

The reporter said that the signage was unclear and confusing [pointing in several directions. 

Thais would be confused and tourists would have no idea where to run to to save their lives.

She called on the authorities to reexamine their signage in case of another disaster. 

Source: TNA

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-03

50 minutes ago, webfact said:

Tourists would not have a clue where to go to flee another giant wave. 

I believe away from the beach and to the highest ground you can find would make sense.

52 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thais would be confused

I believe this also.

I'd be more concerned about who had taken responsibility for replacing the batteries in the sensor buoys out at sea, they were inactive for a long time because responsibility and funding for those batteries was in dispute.

39 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I'd be more concerned about who had taken responsibility for replacing the batteries in the sensor buoys out at sea, they were inactive for a long time because responsibility and funding for those batteries was in dispute.

this is there to facilitate an "EARLY WARNING" which is critical to allow people time to get away from the coast to high ground, all this stuff costs money which Thailand shows again that there are more important things than safety ……………… like their own pockets

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

...but I'm sure the wave of money for replacement and maintenance hit the shore in time.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

But on the other, signage erected after the 2004 Asia wide tsunami hit Thailand has fallen into disrepair. 

Some of those signs are worth a lot of money now as collectors items. Because, Uncle Somchai who runs the signage factory has destroyed the moulds, and he was last seen churning out "bike lane" signs.

48 minutes ago, Katipo said:

Speaking of poor signage, several years ago when I moved to Ayutthaya I saw a solitary road sign in the town for the "Ayodhya Inter Floating Market" . To this day I still have no idea where this market is. ????

there are so many of those signage in different provinces trying to promote a destination. But they only have one sign that says 1km straight ahead and no further signage. 

The signs should be upright but they clearly say head for high ground. 

One would have to be a bit lacking in the brain cells to think that means run towards the churning water. 

If they ran towards the tsunami anyway then it would be Darwin at work! 

I think most foreigners would know what to do. Walk away from the beach to higher grounds.
For Thais I am not sure. They have difficulties to distinguish between left and right, North and south not to mention reading a map or terrain...

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Nail on the head!!! The buoys of the coast of Indo haven't been functioning for some years...I am wondering if the early warning system used to protect Thailand are working or not!

2 hours ago, Katipo said:

Speaking of poor signage, several years ago when I moved to Ayutthaya I saw a solitary road sign in the town for the "Ayodhya Inter Floating Market" . To this day I still have no idea where this market is. ????

Obviously, it's in Ayodhya, Ayutthaya's ancient twin city, located off the island to the East.

The floating market concerned is next to Pang Chang Ayutthaya.

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

rest assured, its the same crew that maintains public vans.

5 hours ago, Lupatria said:

...but I'm sure the wave of money for replacement and maintenance hit the shore in time.

It's the old 50/50 rule.

50% chance it will work. 

50% chance it won't. 

Same the funding. 

50% to the cost of maintaining. 

50% into the brown paper envelopes. 

And as the tide went out there would be a huge rush to put more deckchairs and food stalls on the extra beach front.....????

4 hours ago, CLW said:

I think most foreigners would know what to do. Walk away from the beach to higher grounds.
For Thais I am not sure. They have difficulties to distinguish between left and right, North and south not to mention reading a map or terrain...

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

For tourists, the solution is simple.  Don't holiday in Phuket or on the Andaman coast.  Anywhere in the Gulf of Thailand is perfectly safe. Bkk, Hua Hin, Pattaya and more.

Unless a meteor strikes the gulf. Not impossible, cf Tungaska.

9 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Prawit used the funds for watch servicing 

While the military has some part of this let's face it the PT and Dens have not done much. If you look at Kamala noting has really changed.  I bet if you looked at other areas that were hit they are in the same readiness.  Let's hope that it is not something that any of us have to deal with.

4 hours ago, HHTel said:

For tourists, the solution is simple.  Don't holiday in Phuket or on the Andaman coast.  Anywhere in the Gulf of Thailand is perfectly safe. Bkk, Hua Hin, Pattaya and more.

Sure-as long as you're not a swimmer. I'd rather holiday on the Andaman and risk a rare Tsunami than in the Gulf and risk infections from the polluted sea.

Archived