SURVEY: Is Brett Kavanaugh suitable for the Supreme Court?

Scott

322 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

LOL...as to the first....straw man argument.

As to the second point, I reckon the Senators charged with the constitutional duty in this matter, including one fair minded Democrat, feel otherwise.

"LOL...as to the first....straw man argument."

Thanks, I'm convinced now.

"As to the second point, I reckon the Senators charged with the constitutional duty in this matter, including one fair minded Democrat, feel otherwise."

Quell surprise! Besides, what they vote and what they feel might be two very different things. You (and I) have no idea what they feel.

I am sure he is well qualified although I wish he wasn't as I am far from a conservative in my political views. But I am glad that a claim by some dame of a minor incident that happened as a teenager 36 years ago and which she never reported to anybody didn't affect his nomination. What self respecting red blooded teenage boy didn't try to feel up a girl? If the wowsers have their way the human race will soon become extinct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Saladin said:

I am sure he is well qualified although I wish he wasn't as I am far from a conservative in my political views.

You should run for the Senate then. You have principles.

19 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Your professed views? Again, look at your avatar. You are clearly not a fan of President Trump. Would you support another nominee of his?

Certainly. There were names on the list that the grown-ups around Trump had put together that it would have been hard for me to argue against, my disgust with him notwithstanding.

Unfortunately and predictably the man-child didn't listen.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I dont quite understand your point about President Trumps "base".

Regardless, let me narrow the issue, as we say:

Do you believe that Justice Ginsburgs statements about President Trump should mandate her recusal from all further cases wherein the Governemt is a party and where the issue is one of executive action? If not, why not? If so, how does her situation differ from soon to be Justice Kavanaugh in terms of judicial temperament and ability to be impartial?

"I dont quite understand your point about President Trumps "base"."

Try a little bit harder. Despite your less than stellar record wrt predictions (sorry, couldn't resist) you seem like a fairly coherent person.

"Do you believe that Justice Ginsburgs statements about President Trump should mandate her recusal from all further cases wherein the Governemt is a party and where the issue is one of executive action? If not, why not? If so, how does her situation differ from soon to be Justice Kavanaugh in terms of judicial temperament and ability to be impartial?"

Those are good questions. She certainly didn't blow it like Kavanaugh did during her confirmation hearing but have late in her career made negative statements about Trump. IMO she has just stated the obvious but one could certainly have a discussion about the possible need for her to recuse herself from certain cases.

I'm all for discussing her (and her best friend Scalia's) more eyebrow-raising statements but that would be sending us off-topic in a hurry.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

He is one of the most highly respected jurists on the most prestigious Circuit Court in the US Court System. His track record (meaning affirmances vis a vis reversals) is stellar. His opinions are cogent and well written. He is well respected by his peers and by those who have worked with him and appeared before him. There is no disqualifying information in his background.

He is as qualified, or more, than other recent appointees such as Sotomayor and Kagan who were not subjected to the slanders that he was subjected to. I want his confirmation, as his judicial philosophy mirrors mine, but that has nothing to do with qualifications. Elections have consequences. President Obama gave us qualified nominees in accord with his judicial philosophy, now President Trump is doing the same.

Certainly highly respected by the corporations he has spent his career bending over for.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/09/brett-kavanaugh-track-record-675294

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, Scottjouro said:

Kinda reminds me of the old saying those who can do, those who cant teach, besides your source isnt exactly middle of the road either is it ? Rather left wing Marxist 

bet you cannot point to any articles supporting Marxist ideology from The Wrap.

EDIT: I do note from your post above you're an extreme right wing ideogue

Edited by simple1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

He is one of the most highly respected jurists on the most prestigious Circuit Court in the US Court System. His track record (meaning affirmances vis a vis reversals) is stellar. His opinions are cogent and well written. He is well respected by his peers and by those who have worked with him and appeared before him. There is no disqualifying information in his background.

He is as qualified, or more, than other recent appointees such as Sotomayor and Kagan who were not subjected to the slanders that he was subjected to. I want his confirmation, as his judicial philosophy mirrors mine, but that has nothing to do with qualifications. Elections have consequences. President Obama gave us qualified nominees in accord with his judicial philosophy, now President Trump is doing the same.

Allegedly, Kavanaugh was untruthful while under oath; a fine example set by an appellate court judge during hearings, and under oath, to confirm him as a S C judge. No, he is not suitable.

Allegedly, Kavanaugh has rough handled females when drunk. No, he is not suitable.

Kavanaugh is a highly political appointment, not impartial as he states. No, he is not suitable.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Certainly highly respected by the corporations he has spent his career bending over for.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/09/brett-kavanaugh-track-record-675294

One takes the facts and applies the law. Care to discuss how he has "bent over" for corporations by references to the actual cases and underlying facts, as opposed to citing an opinion piece?

Or do you allow others to think for you?

• Like 1

Who keeps calendars from high school and cry's about it?  So lucky he kept them so he could have an excuse for not being at the party where he tried to rape Ford.  Very very lucky, but maybe he forgot to record on the calendar he was planning on getting drunk and doing the devil's triangle with his drunk friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Thus the rejection by the American Bar Association, Justice Stevens, multitude of law Professors. But, it is a moot point, he is confirmed and the devil take the hind post. Good luck to the Americans.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

One takes the facts and applies the law. Care to discuss how he has "bent over" for corporations by references to the actual cases and underlying facts, as opposed to citing an opinion piece?

Or do you allow others to think for you?

Hilarious, did you think to read it?  There is no opinion there, just objective facts regarding his voting history, court decisions and things he has been quoted as having said.

And here is another, there is no doubt whose side this swamp dweller is on.

https://www.whitehouse.senate.gov/news/release/whitehouse-reveals-kavanaughs-pro-corporate-right-wing-record-in-scotus-hearing-opener

• Thanks 1

Not suitable as unable to control his emotions, anger, outrage under pressure. Nothing to do with political leanings, past judgements, sexual allegations etc. Its about ability to be impartial and able to control personal emotions and not have them influence a decision.

• Like 1

Actually I have a better title to this survey:

Survey: Which way do you lean politically.

Conservative:  xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Liberal:          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In today's highly polarized political climate, whether Kavanaugh is suitable is really not the issue.  This issue is whether or not the jurist is appointed by a progressive liberal or a conservative president.  Opinions on the suitability of the jurist will simply break down along political lines with virtually no one in the middle, as will the strident, vocal outrage to his confirmation by those on the left.

Imho, the Kavanaugh appointment will further polarize the country and I would not be surprised, even at my age, to see major civil unrest in the US that might possibly accelerate into civil war.  Bolshevikism 2.0 meets the Second Amendment Advocates 1.0.  You have 'leaders' in the Democratic Party (e.g., Maxine Waters) urging their supporters to attack Conservatives (sedition), which they are doing - how does that eventually play out? 

I have a pretty good idea.

“History doesn't repeat itself but it often rhymes,”

Attributed - Mark Twain

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

To those citing his stellar track record, what about lying under oath about a dozen or so verifiable facts while testifying to the senate judiciary committee? Oh, that doesn’t fit your narrative of the straight laced judge so just exclude it...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scottjouro said:

Having watched Christine Fords testimony, quite obvious she was lying under oath...

You must be an clairvoyant, can you tell when Trump lying to?

Edited by Hummin