Whats with the Sniffers?

Nyezhov

I am always seeing Thai folks putting the little sniffers up their noses and am wondering, is it the fact that the pollution causes congestion or do they like the smell, or get a rush or what?

I bought one called Sian Pure and took a whiff...its like the old Vicks inhalers on steriods..it is menthol and so frosty that icicles started growing out of my butt.

I do have PND but it doesnt really seem to help. I guess it would help if when I cruise down my local Khlong path...

Whats the deal here.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I am always seeing Thai folks putting the little sniffers up their noses and am wondering, is it the fact that the pollution causes congestion or do they like the smell, or get a rush or what?

The reason is they are gullible. They belive in any advertisement they see on the the telly. Use Tiffy when i'ts raining and you won't catch a cold is a classic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

The reason is they are gullible. They belive in any advertisement they see on the the telly. Use Tiffy when i'ts raining and you won't catch a cold is a classic.

Whats Tiffy? Is that the sniffer? Does it work? ????

Edited by Nyezhov

26 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I was coming down the escalator in Robinsons a couple of weeks ago and I spotted a young Thai assistant who was crouched behind a display texting on her phone, she had one of these inserted firmly in BOTH nostrils !!

Unfortunately I couldn’t get my phone out of my pocket fast enough as she saw me looking and removed them promptly !!

Missed an excellent photo opportunity emoji20.png

So at rush hour on the BTS I can dangle a pair from my schnozz and not get a second glance?

IMG_20181008_112730~2.jpg

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

No but you might get some one telling you that you doing it wrong. ha ha. I like the one I use Poy-Sian The brand name always makes me laugh) for the relief of vertigo, hilarious. again like one poster said just like vicks but with more hype. I find I do use it at different times of the year up here in CR when its dusty/ smoky and also during the rainy season when a bit snuffly. I like the one I mentioned above because its got a seperate liquid compartment on the bottom so you can daub and you fingers and rub on you temples. I find it a very convenient little  unit.

yeah this one I bought has the dual purpose.

whats with the temple rubbing, I have some fiery wintergreeny liquid that has a chinese fat dude on it. Should I rub my temples with that?

When I lived in Vietnam years ago my GF used to squeeze the bridge of her nose until it bruised and it got rid of her headaches.  The Thai sniffing thing is a combination of acupressure and smell medicine.  I use the little bottles to cover the odor of dog poop and cheese eating Farang breath.  They also ease nasal congestion and headaches. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Tiffy Dey - ฿6 a pack or you can buy them in 25 pack boxes from your local pharmacy in Thailand.  500 mg Paracetamol, 2 mg Chlorpheniramine Maleate, 10 mg Phenlephrine HCL.  Use for symptomatic relief of common cold associated with nasal congestion, runny nose, sneezing, headache and fever.  Personally, I find them very good for runny noses and chesty coughs. Maximum dose 8 tablets in 24 hours (4 grams of paracetamol).  As with any paracetamol, exceed that & go straight to hospital within 24 hours to have your life saved or you may die most horribly 4 days or so later - and I mean horribly.

Tiffy.jpg

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Never heard that about Tiffy - love it!  ????Tiffy is very useful though if used as intended (see post #14) - I always bring some back to UK in case I get a cold here. Same with the Poy-Sian inhalers - useful if one has a nasal blockage and cheaper than the ones available here.

I have often wondered though, if Thais have narrower nasal passages than Westerners, therefore they get congested quicker? Perhaps that's why they use so many inhalers, especially in polluted areas?

Or maybe they are just that gullible to the advertising. :sad:

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You are telling posters who elected Trump and voted for Brexit that Thais are gullible?  :cheesy:

We could reverse that but you got there first ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Vacuum said:

The reason is they are gullible.

Yes, only in Thailand do people buy things advertised without first doing in depth scientific research first. Maybe they just like the smell. Lots of people in the west use the Vicks inhaler. Many also take loads of supplements with no proven effective value.

I wonder how much is spent by "sophisticated" westerners based on ludicrous ad claims.

weight.jpeg.e342ce20d9a9e50bc81ff4c96df6bfa4.jpeg

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Randell said:

No but you might get some one telling you that you doing it wrong. ha ha. I like the one I use Poy-Sian The brand name always makes me laugh) for the relief of vertigo, hilarious. again like one poster said just like vicks but with more hype. I find I do use it at different times of the year up here in CR when its dusty/ smoky and also during the rainy season when a bit snuffly. I like the one I mentioned above because its got a seperate liquid compartment on the bottom so you can daub and you fingers and rub on you temples. I find it a very convenient little  unit.

for the relief of vertigo, hilarious

What is hilarious about that?  They contain menthol which is both an approved prophylactic and treatment of vertigo, its listed in the international protocol on vestibular disorders as the very first thing that should be tried in cases of vertigo.

https://sites.google.com/site/dizzylita/international-clinical-protocol-on-vestibular-disorders-dizziness

2 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

I wonder how much is spent by "sophisticated" westerners based on ludicrous ad claims.

A lot. Hence the reason US economy thrives. But, as this topic is/was about Thailand, I responded accordingly.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

she had one of these inserted firmly in BOTH nostrils !!

Difficult feat, that. More difficult and probably more pain than two up one nostril!

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I have a niece who rides the bus in the US, she uses these to relieve the odor of other passengers.

I would prefer drenching myself in Tom Ford Noir de Noir, but I guess there is a difference between 24 baht for an inhaler and 9000 baht for Tom

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Tiffy?  A rather useless decongestant now considering that they made Pseudoephedrine illegal to buy over the counter.  You know, people like you, me, and the rest of the plebs would buy a few packs of Tiffy with Pseudoephedrine, go home, and then cook up a microgram of meth in our backyards considering all plebs are chemists and have access to the equipment and precursors to manufacture backyard meth - or so the government leads the populace to believe.  The active ingredient for the decongestant in Tiffy is now Phenylepherine which isn't anymore effective than jamming a sniffy-stick (ya dom) up your nose and then visualizing your nasal passages are clearing.  Ever seen the PM or Deputy PM or MPs with a sniffy-stick stuck up their noses?  Probably won't.  No doubt they have easy access to Pseudoephedrine.

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Tiffy?  A rather useless decongestant now considering that they made Pseudoephedrine illegal to buy over the counter.  You know, people like you, me, and the rest of the plebs would buy a few packs of Tiffy with Pseudoephedrine, go home, and then cook up a microgram of meth in our backyards considering all plebs are chemists and have access to the equipment and precursors to manufacture backyard meth - or so the government leads the populace to believe.  The active ingredient for the decongestant in Tiffy is now Phenylepherine which isn't anymore effective than jamming a sniffy-stick (ya dom) up your nose and then visualizing your nasal passages are clearing.  Ever seen the PM or Deputy PM or MPs with a sniffy-stick stuck up their noses?  Probably won't.  No doubt they have easy access to Pseudoephedrine.

Oh OK... Back in the states I went to buy some Allerest or something like that for my Mom, and they asked me for a drivers license. Huh? Yeah really. I said to the pharmacist, Dude, you got freakazoids cooking in their bathtubs using precursors they get from China via Mexico and you want a DL from me for a 10 pack of allergy pills for a 90 year old lady...and you fill her scripts for gods sake. Whaat-ever.