British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

49 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

I have just come back from the main Hua Hin Immigration Office (for those of you who don't know, there are two, both of which are satellite offices of the Dan Singkhon office near Prachuap Kiri Khan; the other is in the Bluport shopping mall and only deals with 90 day reports and tourist visa extensions). I wasn't there to do an extension, but for information; the current list of required documentation to do an extension based on marriage to a Thai, plus I also wanted to know from what date I would be able to make the application, so I could plan with my wife for her to take a day off work to accompany me. Of course, while I was there I took the opportunity to ask a couple of questions pertaining to the income method.

I had already told the officer that I would be using the 400k in the bank route this time, but that I was thinking of going the income route in the next year or two (this is true, as I have formed a company in the UK that will begin trading there very soon, and if it is successful I will be receiving a salary there). Essentially she stuck to the current regulations and said that I would have to get my income notarised by my embassy; I didn't query her use of that word, but I told her that the British Embassy would no longer be issuing a letter to support extensions based on income, and asked her if there was any alternative. She said no there wasn't, just the lump sum method. I pushed a little more, and mentioned that the Bluport office had informed a friend that if they could show a monthly income into a Thai bank of the required amount, that was acceptable, but the officer I spoke to said no, that is not possible unless it is supported by an embassy letter. Finally I asked if she knew if there were any changes to these regulations and requirements coming, but she said nothing at present. The one thing I forgot to ask was how long after they have been issued would embassy letters be accepted - apologies for that. The officer did add that they had had a lot of people asking similar questions recently, so presumably the head man at that office is also aware of it, and it will possibly filter up to the top man as a consequence.

On a final note, the application can be made up to 45 days before your permission to stay ends, at that office.

I hope the info is of use to some, although obviously it is only one officer in one office, but it is what I, at least, expected.

Absolutely pointless asking an individual immigration officer. I can guarantee that they will be clueless about any future requirements. Just a waste of your time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimn said:

Absolutely pointless asking an individual immigration officer. I can guarantee that they will be clueless about any future requirements. Just a waste of your time.

No, Wanderlust's post was good crossfeed.  Your above response was pointless.

The people who will be the first to know and possibly have some inside info are immigration officers.  Now I expect most will be tight-lipped until any future policy update is released by HQ TI and simply state what current policy states.  But others may give-out some info on what is probably going to change or not change...and be willing to pass that info along.

I sure hope others post what their immigration office tells them....like Wanderlust's post above.  Good crossfeed...but we'll all need to take the info with a grain of salt until HQ TI possibly (hopefully) provides an update.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pib said:

No, Wanderlust's post was good crossfeed.  Your above response was pointless.

The people who will be the first to know and possibly have some inside info are immigration officers.  Now I expect most will be tight-lipped until any future policy update is released by HQ TI and simply state what current policy states.  But others may give-out some info on what is probably going to change or not change...and be willing to pass that info along.

I sure hope others post what their immigration office tells them....like Wanderlust's post above.  Good crossfeed...but we'll all need to take the info with a grain of salt until HQ TI possibly (hopefully) provides an update.

I am sorry you wasted your time with a pointless response. Asking individual officers just muddies the water even further. The only people to listen to will be Thai Immigration, when and if they issue an official response. You got it right when said "but we'll all need to take the info with a grain of salt until HQ TI possibly (hopefully) provides an update" As I said a waste of time asking, just like I have wasted my time responding to your post.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimn said:

So, basically, the bird you spoke to knew sweet FA..... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PST said:

For anyone in Phuket hoping to extend based on marriage with income letter from British Embassy without a pension due to age.....they then go on to say that I need 400k in a Thai savings account for 2 months!! as proof of income, so its gone from 40k to 400k almost overnight!!. Ridiculous.

Dear Sir

Thank you for contacting Phuket Immigration Volunteers.

The Thai government requires from the embassies that the income certificate which they provide is confirmed as correct and that the embassy is responsible for the correctness of the income certificate.

Some embassies ( UK USA, Australia ) are saying that they can’t confirm with their government that the supplied papers to apply for the income certificate are correct and therefore they will not issue the income certificate anymore as they don’t want to bear the responsibility for this.

As  you are a person from the affected countries ( UK USA, Australia etc) are using an income certificate (which is valid for 6 months) they will only accept this income certificate if the person has an Government pension (only government pension and NO military pension)  and can confirm this with their government pension declaration statement together with the embassy income certificate.

The reason for this is that the Thai immigration wants a guarantee that the monthly (pension) income will be provided for the next 12 months.

Currently they accept therefore only government pension statement for this purpose.

There we have it, they use the word certify themselves, not verify.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PST said:

As  you are a person from the affected countries ( UK USA, Australia etc) are using an income certificate (which is valid for 6 months) they will only accept this income certificate if the person has an Government pension (only government pension and NO military pension)  and can confirm this with their government pension declaration statement together with the embassy income certificate.

The reason for this is that the Thai immigration wants a guarantee that the monthly (pension) income will be provided for the next 12 months.

Currently they accept therefore only government pension statement for this purpose.

Where Phuket immigration says "....and NO military pension....", well, that's absolutely ridiculous.  A military pension is paid by the home country govt just like any other govt pension....and just as rock solid   Shows Thai Immigration just don't understand.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

???

I don't see the word "certify" in the email above :unsure:

The Thai government requires from the embassies that the income certificate which they provide is confirmed as correct and that the embassy is responsible for the correctness of the income certificate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

???

I don't see the word "certify" in the email above :unsure:

a certificate certifies, they could have used the word verification instead of certificate. The embassy letter certifies that on hand from presented documents the income is correct. It also shows that the embassies themselves stopped issuing the letter, they weren't ordered to.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

It also shows that the embassies themselves stopped issuing the letter, they weren't ordered to.

Th British Embassy will still issue letters before the 12th of December

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Where Phuket immigration says "....and NO military pension....", well, that's absolutely ridiculous.  A military pension is paid by the home country govt just like any other govt pension....and just as rock solid   Shows Thai Immigration just don't understand.

I really don't understand this. I have just received my embassy letter which is based on my company pension. Are they saying that this is no longer acceptable?

• Like 1

and after that ?

They will stop issuing them, obviously people will still need them if they are applying outside of Phuket, where the letter can still be used,,,,,,this issue seems Phuket specific at the moment, unless anyone has similar experiences elsewhere in the Kingdom?

Edited by PST

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I really don't understand this. I have just received my embassy letter which is based on my company pension. Are they saying that this is no longer acceptable?

now we are getting to the confusing details, perhaps if you are old enough to get a pension the company pension will be accepted as extra income, PST obviously hasn't reached that age yet.

Just now, soalbundy said:

now we are getting to the confusing details, perhaps if you are old enough to get a pension the company pension will be accepted as extra income, PST obviously hasn't reached that age yet.

I haven't reached that age yet either. Cheeky sod!

• Sad 1

I'm 45, so yes, correct. It now means that for me personally, I have to show 400k in a Thai bank account for 2 months, with a letter from the bank confirming this. Up till 2 weeks ago, I would have had to have shown 40K in a bank account with income letter. A huge difference.

1 minute ago, PST said:

I'm 45, so yes, correct. It now means that for me personally, I have to show 400k in a Thai bank account for 2 months, with a letter from the bank confirming this. Up till 2 weeks ago, I would have had to have shown 40K in a bank account with income letter. A huge difference.

agent ?

Just now, PST said:

My extension is due in December and I already have my letter. I won't have the time to season my account before the extension's due. Can't be right.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

agent ?

possibly,,,,,,,,ironically, this would have been my first extension in quite a while, but after this fiasco, it looks like i'll just continue leaving and re entering on my O, if I do 3 trips a year then its cheaper than paying an agent,,,,,the agents also have people by the balls if they really need to extend, as it seems its the only way now, short of actually having 360,000 baht all of a sudden

Edited by PST
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Phuket immigration has stated they will only accept proof of income coming from a government pension.

Unless applying at Phuket just ignore that rubbish requirement. They have no authority to set that requirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Phuket immigration has stated they will only accept proof of income coming from a government pension.

Unless applying at Phuket just ignore that rubbish requirement. They have no authority to set that requirement.

But is Phuket also requiring full import of government pensions or can people prove otherwise? I realize it's just Phuket but that might be a clue as to where this might be headed nationally which nobody knows YET. 

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

But is Phuket also requiring full import of government pensions or can people prove otherwise? I realize it's just Phuket but that might be a clue as to where this might be headed nationally which nobody knows YET. 

I think that ubonjoe is right. It's just Phuket IO being Phuket IO. As we both report in Jontien, I think we can put this issue on ignore.

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I think that ubonjoe is right. It's just Phuket IO being Phuket IO. As we both report in Jontien, I think we can put this issue on ignore.

I agree, but important for Phuketians. Ive emailed them back asking for further info regarding the police order and what it states, but no reply as yet......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1