Where Have all the Oldies Gone... Long Time Pa.....

Gonzo the Face

I am a long time member on this forum but have been less involved more recently than I had previously been.  It is good to see all the new names and members, but I have found a startling fact , at least to me.  Where have all the oldies gone; the old long ago members, who like myself, on for years and years?  I know some have passed on and some have moved back home or wherever, but so many missing old familiar names leaves me with a little ache inside.  So sad.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not been in Thailand long. Ten years. First came in 1985 as a teen but moved here in 2009. I did not join TV until 2014 mostly due to the flaming that was going on. It was to me, just a little too much to handle and my skin is not that thick. Just since 2009, 50% of my friends have left. Many back home, others to other surrounding countries. For the real long timers, I cannot imagine how much it has changed. TV is pretty harsh and I still get many people telling me it is only useful for Visa Information and the rest is just rubbish. In that now, I can understand. The new guys I am meeting now as friends are all green. Most have been here in Thailand only two years, made all the common mistakes and most will not last long term. I miss my older friends. Some have died. I am only 49, so if I live a few more years, I might end up an old-timer but with Thailand, you can never really say as it can all change in a heartbeat. 

People get tired, people get bored. How many times can one post in a thread about who makes the best burger in Chiang Mai, or where can one find the best English fry-up breakfast before you realize that you've answered the same questions 5 times before.  The posting may be interesting for the newbies, but I've been here 17 years now, a member of this forum for 12 years. It's no longer interesting to me.  I don't care about the flames... haters are gonna hate... It's the information that has gone stale that causes the migration. Sure, the occasional question comes up, someone looking for XYZ in town, and that sparks a bit of news, but otherwise? If it weren't for current Immigration issue news, I probably wouldn't bother to read this forum more than once every few weeks.

seems to be more interest in adult diapers than chasing hot, hot uni girls.  Add the numerous posts that start with "my partner and I," or the weekly visa runners with problems and the thing simply lacks useful information...except the hidden message that CM has all but self-destructed.  I think John's Place is down to about 1450 of 1600 restaurants in rankings.  The business model is to sell inferior goods to Chinese at high prices..screw the farang...too hard to cheat people living here.

7 hours ago, blackhorse said:

Seems the same 30 posters are driving every thread

.So what is wrong with that?

Without that handful of posters, the forum would get stale, if people didnt drive things on the forum it would grind to a halt.

Maybe you are including me in your 30 posters, well as i spend up to 16 hours a day on my bed, plus the remainder of my day stuck in my wheelchair, unable to get outside the gate without assistance, this forum helps keep me active/sane even.

Yourself you have been a member 19 days and have a post count of over 450, thats a lot, beats me over 11 years and almost 8.000, so you are heading for driving nearly every thread.

10 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

A lot of people have left.

I'm rather sick of the T Teams who work these threads relentlessly. And stating the obvious is not allowed about these professionals.  :thumbsup:   these days. 

Is the T for teacher?  It was a teacher's clique that caused the destruction of ajarnforum.

If you pretend you don't know what T Teamers are, then likely you are one.   :thumbsup: 

Don't get me wrong, I would never denigrating a person who works for their money.   However it is annoying. and makes me question why I bother to post here anymore.

Well, old(er) friends and fiends, we have, it seems, evolved, mutated, devolved, and revolved; as Mr. Natural said: " 'twas ever thus." 'Yep !

But, for those of you who may say this forum is dead, I say, respectfully: excuse us if we necrophiliacs party-on rather than contribute to the obituary.

This entity finds the forum useful, and enjoys it.

cheers, ~o:37;

p.s. could someone PM me and tell me what the disturbing reference to Tywais in this thread is about, thanks !

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Unfortunately, in trying to be Mr Smarts, he got the term wrong. It's T group, not T team and refers to one of those American management guru fads.

Now you got me even more confused if possible..

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Now you got me even more confused if possible..

I'm loathe to explain it but just for you:

T is for training. A T group is a training method which involves one on one sessions where each participant pours out their innermost thoughts and feelings to their oppo. A bit like Scientology for management training. Complete garbage that some American snake oil salesman made a lot of money out of.

9 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Young girls have picked them, every one
Oh when will they ever learn, oh when will they ever learn?

well, i think i learnt ????      My latest "companion"  is not so young !   Of course now i would look pretty

stupid walking around with someone 40 YEARS younger than me.  

I think its the new know it alls that are ripe for the picking now ( and many are retired ! )

Just now, rumak said:

well, i think i learnt ????      My latest "companion"  is not so young !   Of course now i would look pretty

I think its the new know it alls that are ripe for the picking now ( and many are retired ! )

In your opinion, what is the cut off age difference for not looking stupid with a younger woman on your arm?

1 minute ago, rumak said:

If I was walking around with someone 40 years younger than me she would still be old! ????

Posts commenting on moderation have been removed as well as an answer to one.

Every member that signs on agrees to abide by the Forum rules.

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

You will not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension.

All Forum rules can be found here

Forum Rules - Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa _ The Nation.html

2 hours ago, orang37 said:

Well, old(er) friends and fiends, we have, it seems, evolved, mutated, devolved, and revolved; as Mr. Natural said: " 'twas ever thus." 'Yep !

But, for those of you who may say this forum is dead, I say, respectfully: excuse us if we necrophiliacs party-on rather than contribute to the obituary.

This entity finds the forum useful, and enjoys it.

cheers, ~o:37;

p.s. could someone PM me and tell me what the disturbing reference to Tywais in this thread is about, thanks !

To me Tywais was one of the originals and on top of that is one of the super nice guys.  It greatly saddens me that he is not involved. any longer

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

In your opinion, what is the cut off age difference for not looking stupid with a younger woman on your arm?

well, obviously you would be walking behind her as she stared into her iPhone that you bought her....

so I guess if you can not keep up (within a meter or two)  as you stroll thru the mall , then you either

need a hip replacement or an older woman

Just now, rumak said:

well, obviously you would be walking behind her as she stared into her iPhone that you bought her....

so I guess if you can not keep up (within a meter or two)  as you stroll thru the mall , then you either

need a hip replacement or an older woman

That, in no way, answers my question. You stated that an age difference of 40 years is unacceptable, what is the maximum age difference that you would find acceptable?

13 minutes ago, Spidey said:

That, in no way, answers my question. You stated that an age difference of 40 years is unacceptable, what is the maximum age difference that you would find acceptable?

I never made mention of what was acceptable .   that was YOUR wording !  whatever anyone chooses that

does not hurt me is acceptable.  My opinion of what looks stupid I stand by.  Often it is a lot less than even 20 years depending on what the man looks like.   I look pretty good for my age so 40 years difference is MY limit (actually 30 but that's just my cut off).  

If the word stupid upsets anybody....hmmmm... maybe i could say that to my eye those couples do not seem like a match .  I hope that soothes those with PC sensibilities

Just now, rumak said:

I never made mention of what was acceptable .   that was YOUR wording !  whatever anyone chooses that

does not hurt me is acceptable.  My opinion of what looks stupid I stand by.  Often it is a lot less than even 20 years depending on what the man looks like.   I look pretty good for my age so 40 years difference is MY limit (actually 30 but that's just my cut off).  

Phew thanks! My first wife (UK) was 5 years younger than me, My second wife (UK) was 10 years younger than me, my 3rd wife (Thai) is 20 years younger than me. Extrapolating the series (5,10,20) my next wife needs to be 40 years younger than me. As I too look pretty good for my age, that shouldn't be a problem, I've already had 2 offers in the last 12 months in the right age bracket and continue to interview for the position.

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Phew thanks! My first wife (UK) was 5 years younger than me, My second wife (UK) was 10 years younger than me, my 3rd wife (Thai) is 20 years younger than me. Extrapolating the series (5,10,20) my next wife needs to be 40 years younger than me. As I too look pretty good for my age, that shouldn't be a problem, I've already had 2 offers in the last 12 months in the right age bracket and continue to interview for the position.

i guess we can all applaud your staying power.  you seem like someone where 2 twenty year olds would serve you better than one forty year old.   Keep it UP  young man.    

2 hours ago, rumak said:

My latest companion is in her early 50s and still 21 years younger than when I met her back in 1993. Married 18 years with a 14 year old son. I am beginning to think she is in for the long haul. She hasn't called me a hansum man for a couple of years now.

I think I heard her call me this last month  คุณผายลมเก่าโง่ which according to Google translate comes out something like you silly old fart.

Archived