UK Embassy Letters - The Way Forward.

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Mine (from mid 2018) says income. 

Mine from yesterday says monthly PENSIONS....and PENSIONS totalling GBP XXX. Last year's said PENSIONS AND INCOME........but PENSIONS totalling GBP XXX. And here's me thinking that it was a standardised letter. Maybe the BE staff actually DO type them up.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Correct if you don't already have a document from your embassy to prove your income. The will only accept them as back up proof to the document from the embassy that you presented,

Very True- when I was asked I had the letter and so has every other person who was asked for added proof. I was attempting to try and indicate that if they accept letters etc as added proof- they could hopefully be 'convinced' to accept it as primary proof if no BE letter. Whether they will or not remains to be seen

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

Very True- when I was asked I had the letter and so has every other person who was asked for added proof. I was attempting to try and indicate that if they accept letters etc as added proof- they could hopefully be 'convinced' to accept it as primary proof if no BE letter. Whether they will or not remains to be seen

There's just one problem I can see with that, and it is that my UK civil service pension P60 letter and my original state pension letter, although signed, are just copies of originals. I don't think I've ever had an original signed letter from my pension provider. If immigration agreed to accept pension letters, would they accept the copies which we get sent, or would we have to go begging our providers for originals? Taking into account the usual lack of enthusiasm from my provider and the inefficiency of the postal service in my area, I don't give much for my chances.

I was asked several years ago to produce them as secondary proof to the letter and they were accepted.

4 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Mine (from mid 2018) says income. 

The relevant para in mine says:

Quote:   Mr Expat has also stated that he receives monthly pensions totalling GBP XXXX and has shown to us a statement from Civil Service Pensions and a letter from the Pension Service stating that he receives pensions totalling GBP XXXXX per annum. Unquote.

5 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I was asked several years ago to produce them as secondary proof to the letter and they were accepted.

I also presented copies=  and since I have direct deposit to a US bank- I provided bank statement showing same amount that was on income letters plus bank statement showed many debits in Thailand.  Thai accepted all.  I now have started saving receipts from Thai ATMS. 

22 hours ago, tgeezer said:

The country is on its uppers, I should think that the embassy would want to continue writing letters if only to secure their continued employment.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

And income. GBP50 per letter X number of applicants.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

After July the Brits will have to show 400 or 800K funds deposited in a Thai bank, end of.

Agreed. And to meet seasoning requirements the 800k will need to have been deposited in the account by no later than 3 months previously, or the 400k by no later that 2 months previously - i.e. by as soon as March in some retirement extensions cases, or April in some marriage extension cases (although the latter could be stretched to June in certain instances through a one-off 60-day extension). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Mine from yesterday says monthly PENSIONS....and PENSIONS totalling GBP XXX. Last year's said PENSIONS AND INCOME........but PENSIONS totalling GBP XXX. And here's me thinking that it was a standardised letter. Maybe the BE staff actually DO type them up.

The letters do appear to individually typed to order. Since I am not getting a pension (yet) my submissions have always been very easy; a UK bank account with 4 quarterly deposits to easily meet the required equivalent income to qualify.

From your earlier post, you maybe supply proof of pension and additional income information and despite your best, most accurate efforts on filling in the spreadsheet (I'll have to take your word on that since I truly don't know you from Adam), you are possibly the victim of the less ardent pencil-pusher behind the scenes at the BE's income letter validation (bit not verification) team.*

Accordingly, I hereby publicly withdraw the earlier suggestion that your head's up your bum.

* Since it's quite possible that the FCO/BE had already outsourced this like everything else, there's a distinct chance that the downturn of backpackers on KSR after the city managers decided to clean it up has resulted in not enough native English speakers (and readers and writers) to churn out these 'pension letters'.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Agreed. And to meet seasoning requirements the 800k will need to have been deposited in the account by no later than 3 months previously, or the 400k by no later that 2 months previously - i.e. by as soon as March in some retirement extensions cases, or April in some marriage extension cases (although the latter could be stretched to June in certain instances through a one-off 60-day extension). 

Since I am at work outside LOS until maybe the first week of Jan and my RetExt is due end of January, I had enough time to gather the paperwork and file another on-time extension. With the letter issuance stopping late December, unless I do some clever mail redirecting, I could miss the boat.

I do have an option by being married to a local lass of slipping over to Savannakhet about a month after I get home and getting the 1-year multi-entry O visa. Jumping in and out of the country isn't an issue for me. If work slows down or I pull the pin, I could restart the RetExt or MarExt procedure but then I think I may be facing the added oversight at RTE's to get that first-off Non-O visa?

The ones that I think may be the most upset are the ones already on the Thai PR path where I understand one has to show x amount of years of consecutive stays typically enabled by qualifying for extensions? I know if this was the last extension that I needed to complete that hurdle, I would be royally pissed off.

Edited by NanLaew

37 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The letters do appear to individually typed to order. Since I am not getting a pension (yet) my submissions have always been very easy; a UK bank account with 4 quarterly deposits to easily meet the required equivalent income to qualify.

From your earlier post, you maybe supply proof of pension and additional income information and despite your best, most accurate efforts on filling in the spreadsheet (I'll have to take your word on that since I truly don't know you from Adam), you are possibly the victim of the less ardent pencil-pusher behind the scenes at the BE's income letter validation (bit not verification) team.*

Accordingly, I hereby publicly withdraw the earlier suggestion that your head's up your bum.

* Since it's quite possible that the FCO/BE had already outsourced this like everything else, there's a distinct chance that the downturn of backpackers on KSR after the city managers decided to clean it up has resulted in not enough native English speakers (and readers and writers) to churn out these 'pension letters'.

I thnk you Sir, and accept your 'apology'. In my case, I simple emailed copies of my pdf bank statements, no other information from DWP or private pension people as I never get anything. But who cares now, I have my letter ready for December. Then I'll start thinking about next year. Cheers.

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

Just a thought...

How many even know !!! 

To many move to a foreign Country and bury their head in the sand, or a bottle of Leo, when it comes to bureaucracy.

Inevitably, they wait to be told, rather than find out for themselves.

9 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Not Correct - they have accepted mine when they asked me for proof of income and there have been other reports of them accepting  pension letters as proof.  If they have accepted this as added proof-there is no reason they actually need the letter and that is why there needs to be a negotiated solution.

Is this with, or without the BE letter?

8 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I had the Embassy Letter- They asked for proof- It was several years ago at  Bangkok

And the flip side, I have never ever been asked for proof, just the letter.

As said many times, rarely any consistency here. ????

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 10:54 AM, Esso49 said:

Already done that and asked for a transcript of all discussions, emails on this subject between BE and Thai immigration.  Requested under the FOI act and the FCO have replied advising they will respond within 20 days. 15 days remaining.  Of course that's working days so will post relevant info once received.

Only once that has been disclosed will we know the truth regarding discussions between these 2 parties on the matter,

I hope this thread remains as your intent for those who rely upon certificate of income letters and not side tracked by others again

For obvious reasons Im suprised the FCO come under the FOI at such a short date. Be interesting to see whats made available.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

...my submissions have always been very easy; a UK bank account with 4 quarterly deposits to easily meet the required equivalent income to qualify...

Are you saying that after you gave the British embassy evidence of deposits into your bank account and nothing else, the embassy gave you a letter saying that they saw evidence of income?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Are you saying that after you gave the British embassy evidence of deposits into your bank account and nothing else, the embassy gave you a letter saying that they saw evidence of income?

Yes, me too ! the letter stated "demonstrated an income of" and that was it , nothing else given, I gave just a few months statements in my case, they averaged then x 12 for annual income total.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

Yes. I fill in the simple, downloaded 'spreadsheet' they provide, include the 4 bank statements where my spreadsheet numbers come from and they issue the letter. It basically says 'Mr NL claims income of bla bla bla' and 'Mr NL showed statements from ABC Bank showing bla bla bla.' That's the thrust of the income letter and has been that way for as long I have been extending. Last January was my 7th successive extension.